Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender CS 1955 Heavy Relic Precision

AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1456607857' post='2990794']

Haha, I don't know how much of this wear is genuine at all, but not too much fuss if it picks up a knock or two. Can't think of many other £3k basses you could say that about...
[/quote]

Lol either way it looks great!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1456645914' post='2990944']
Nice bass, nice pics too.

I've never played an old style precision what are they like to play in general, are the necks massive on them?
Are the custom shop versions exact replicas?
[/quote]

All 4 Custom Shop versions I've had have been totally different, and none have been quite like the two original 1957 versions I've had. The necks can vary, some bigger than others, some more V shaped than others.

Make of that what you will as I guess it suits all manor of basses. But they've all been lovely in their own right and the sound is always great.

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1456655374' post='2991009']
Always loved these basses, but i've not owned one yet. Is that a stacked pickup? What's the general tone difference between these and the typical split P?
[/quote]

Imagine a P with less mids but more bottom and top. Hard to describe really, but I find they boom and thump more than a regular P when I play them.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1456677570' post='2991287']
Imagine a P with less mids but more bottom and top. Hard to describe really, but I find they boom and thump more than a regular P when I play them.
[/quote]

Yeah, a really noticeable difference - supports the sound of the band and then when you dig in you can cut through that bit more. Interestingly on my 60's Style P I mess with the tone control a lot to suit the song. With this 55, I don't think I've touched the tone knob at all.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1456679353' post='2991323']

Yeah, a really noticeable difference - supports the sound of the band and then when you dig in you can cut through that bit more. Interestingly on my 60's Style P I mess with the tone control a lot to suit the song. With this 55, I don't think I've touched the tone knob at all.
[/quote]

I can't recall on this one, but these usually have a resistor ( I think that's the name) that is on the tone knob. It lowers the volume as you turn the tone knob anti clockwise. The idea was that it would protect the speakers of the time from the lower frequency. You'll just need to replace it with a tiny bit of wire if you use the tone knob often, though with that amount of natural bass on this one why would you?!

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1456655374' post='2991009']
Always loved these basses, but i've not owned one yet. Is that a stacked pickup? What's the general tone difference between these and the typical split P?
[/quote]
[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1456677570' post='2991287']

[/quote]

Dan is the expert on these, but if you'll allow a layman's perspective, the single coil is a wolf in sheep's clothing compared to the post '58 Precisions. I've always been a Fender player but it took me years to discover that the tone in my head, low but clear and crisp, punchy yet restrained and effortless, was the single coil Precision. I blame Leo. He replaced this model with new two basses, one with a split coil, the other with two single coils, and I think that decision suggested that one single coil PUP alone wasn't good enough for bass, something he reinforced of course by discontinuing the single coil Precision. I don't think this was helped much by the relatively understated looks and the almost apologetic placement and size of the PUP. Sound? Mine does everything from piano like ring and clarity to deep deep dub, clean slap and finger-style funk to driving gritty southern boogie. All from one passive PUP with a passive circuit. Folks will say a split coil Precision can do the same, perhaps true, I just think the single coils do it better.

And Andy, you ever decide to sell that lovely bass, drop me a line mate :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1456686907' post='2991447']

Dan is the expert on these, but if you'll allow a layman's perspective, the single coil is a wolf in sheep's clothing compared to the post '58 Precisions. I've always been a Fender player but it took me years to discover that the tone in my head, low but clear and crisp, punchy yet restrained and effortless, was the single coil Precision. I blame Leo. He replaced this model with new two basses, one with a split coil, the other with two single coils, and I think that decision suggested that one single coil PUP alone wasn't good enough for bass, something he reinforced of course by discontinuing the single coil Precision. I don't think this was helped much by the relatively understated looks and the almost apologetic placement and size of the PUP. Sound? Mine does everything from piano like ring and clarity to deep deep dub, clean slap and finger-style funk to driving gritty southern boogie. All from one passive PUP with a passive circuit. Folks will say a split coil Precision can do the same, perhaps true, I just think the single coils do it better.

And Andy, you ever decide to sell that lovely bass, drop me a line mate :)
[/quote]

Cor, well said Chris! ;)

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1456688286' post='2991475']
How does a Precision with a single coil sound compared with, say, the neck pickup of a Jazz?
[/quote]

Have a read here http://www.talkbass.com/threads/single-coil-p-bass-or-tele-bass-vs-j-bass-neck-pickup-tone.876171/