Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender CS 1955 Heavy Relic Precision

AndyTravis

Well, having nearly bought Chiliwailer's original 1957 (bought a Mini instead - honestly) we started talking about the allure of the 54-57 two colour sunburst (single coil/tele) precisions.

Turns out, he's a bit of an old hand with this style of bass And had one on the way he wasn't 100% sure he had the space for.

In 2005, Fender Custom Shop made some special pieces for the Frankfurt Musikmesse, one of which was a 1955 Precision bass in a very heavy relic. In a very familiar wear pattern In total 6 were made and the bass we did a deal on was one of them.

Somewhere along the line in it's 11 years, an owner has (albeit sympathetically) removed the custom shop decal on the back of the headstock - I've had the bass apart and everything else you'd expect to denote it as a Fender custom shop is present as are the certificate and an email correspondence from Fender after sending detailed photos. Either Sting has owned it and wanted to hide the fact it was custom shop (heard he tours with replicas of his bass to save wear on his...allegedly) or someone, somewhere has tried to pass this off as an original mid 50's instrument.

So, it's pretty special (well, very), looks the business, and It's caused a fair bit of fuss in the fortnight I've had it.

Anyhow, enjoy...

https://instagram.com/p/BB5POkMOQXn/
https://instagram.com/p/BB27NF-OQcx/
https://instagram.com/p/BB48zj5uQfF/
https://instagram.com/p/BCTcSUauQR0/

Glad you're loving it Andy :)

Wasn't an easy decision for me to not keep this one having taken it on a trade. I'd admired it for a long time as my friend owned it, the feel and tone of this bass is something very special without question, it's stands out as a memorable one.

The pictures don't do it enough justice either! And that neck,,,,oh that neck..... .;)

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1456606809' post='2990778']
Words fail me. That is gorgeous.
[/quote]

My wife, funnily enough had commented on the 'Certifiable Live In Tokyo' DVD I was watching "that looks like a cool bass - I like it" two days before this arrived and I hadn't told her why the Mike Lull 5 had gone missing 😂

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1456606679' post='2990776']
Glad you're loving it Andy :)

Wasn't an easy decision for me to not keep this one having taken it on a trade. I'd admired it for a long time as my friend owned it, the feel and tone of this bass is something very special without question, it's stands out as a memorable one.

The pictures don't do it enough justice either! And that neck,,,,oh that neck..... .;)
[/quote]

It is lovely, and the Duncan Custom wound pickup is really special. I might end up with a CIJ Paisley soon so the Fender CS pickup may have a home yet.

Put the bridge cover on today - jury's out, I have it on my other P but the mute is built into that.

[quote name='MarkG3' timestamp='1456607766' post='2990793']
Nothing better than a well used well worn bass. Lovely!
[/quote]

Haha, I don't know how much of this wear is genuine at all, but not too much fuss if it picks up a knock or two. Can't think of many other £3k basses you could say that about...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1456607382' post='2990789']

It is lovely, and the Duncan Custom wound pickup is really special. I might end up with a CIJ Paisley soon so the Fender CS pickup may have a home yet.

Put the bridge cover on today - jury's out, I have it on my other P but the mute is built into that.
[/quote]

It's a great pickup isn't it, very full bodied tone. It's well worth the extra hum to have it in the non stacked mode in my opinion.

I did wonder about the bridge covers, I've always preferred the look of them with two on. But in fairness it still looks gorgeous and authentic with just the pickup cover, and that one makes a great thumb rest too!

Having had a few of these old style P Basses its odd not to have one anymore, especially looking at this thread. You can thank my Lull P Bass and current mood of only having the bare minimals at home for me even thinking about selling that bass.

So I got rid of a Martin I wasn't that into and you got a killer P Bass, happy days :)

I'll be really honest, I worried at rehearsal how it'd cope/sound.

I've been using active 5 strings for about 2 years now and pulling my Precision out for Motown stuff.

Our new drummer is a crazy level 42 fan, so when the guitarist is late we usually jam through some "early tapes" type stuff just to blow the cobwebs off.

This bass, on paper, shouldn't sound right for that type of playing.

Jesus, it's got it. And I've owned Jaydees/Status' just so I could play that kind of stuff. No idea what all that multi laminated wood and Carbon Fibre is For 😆 (I do miss my kingbass though)

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1456608485' post='2990802']

I've been using active 5 strings for about 2 years now and pulling my Precision out for Motown stuff.

Our new drummer is a crazy level 42 fan, so when the guitarist is late we usually jam through some "early tapes" type stuff just to blow the cobwebs off.

Jesus, it's got it. And I've owned Jaydees/Status' just so I could play that kind of stuff. No idea what all that multi laminated wood and Carbon Fibre is For 😆 (I do miss my kingbass though)
[/quote]

The '55s are versatile, in many ways more so than the split coil Precisions

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1456608485' post='2990802']

[/quote]
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1456608811' post='2990809']

The '55s are versatile, in many ways more so than the split coil Precisions
[/quote]

I'd agree with Chris there for sure. But there is also something about your particular bass Andy that cuts through like no other CS 55 I've had, which is 4 now including that one. That bass has something of its own, looks like you got the right one for you.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1456609356' post='2990812']
I'd agree with Chris there for sure. But there is also something about your particular bass Andy that cuts through like no other CS 55 I've had, which is 4 now including that one. That bass has something of its own, looks like you got the right one for you.
[/quote]

Oh it's a wonderful bass, that's for sure. I've played various MIJ/CIJ 51/54 Reissues and had my hands on a late 60's tele/precision slab body - and this is other worldly.

Going to get my preferred strings on it soon (GBBL had no stock of them and I tried something new which I have decided I don't like).

It sings as well as snaps - intriguing that a 65 year old design (a very well put together version thereof) just has everything more or less covered.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1456609928' post='2990816']

It sings as well as snaps - intriguing that a 65 year old design (a very well put together version thereof) just has everything more or less covered.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's nuts isn't it?!

If I didn't need a P with a double J bridge pickup as I do now, and had to go back to a single pickup P, then I wouldn't hesitate to chose a good snappy single coil Precision over a split pickup one.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1456610200' post='2990819']

Yeah, it's nuts isn't it?!

If I didn't need a P with a double J bridge pickup as I do now, and had to go back to a single pickup P, then I wouldn't hesitate to chose a good snappy single coil Precision over a split pickup one.
[/quote]

If they could just do me a 5 string like this...id be happy 😂

I spoke to Mike Lull about it when I had my 5 string. Unfortunately there's a very young (3 months away from birth) lady who has very different ideas about where my money will be going.

https://instagram.com/p/BA7B-pZuQY6/

She's already cost me about £4K and she's not even here - not including the second car we've bought...or the 7 seater we bought when we figured 3 car seats wouldn't fit in the back of a normal car 🙄

Edited by AndyTravis