Why become a member? ×

Bass Day Nov 9th

Monz

Ped, I'll buy you a belated birthday beer. Promise! :)

Jacko, wow! How long a drive is that? I shall look out for a slightly fat bloke and a tall blind American. I'm just a tiny bit worried though that you're not the only slightly fat bloke on the day... Can't you wear a rose of sorts..? Or perhaps sommink more outstanding, like pink leather trousers? :brow:

See you there!

[quote name='Pris-' post='316604' date='Oct 28 2008, 12:11 PM']Ped, I'll buy you a belated birthday beer. Promise! :)

Jacko, wow! How long a drive is that? I shall look out for a slightly fat bloke and a tall blind American. I'm just a tiny bit worried though that you're not the only slightly fat bloke on the day... Can't you wear a rose of sorts..? Or perhaps sommink more outstanding, like pink leather trousers? :brow:

See you there![/quote]

One or both of us will in all probability be wearing an Alembic T shirt.

It's my wedding anniversary on the 9th November, I have been to every bass day up to now. Not sure Mrs BIGd will think a day of bass things is a good way to celibate 23yrs of happiness. I'll have to think this one through, she is a musician herself, so could play it from that angle . :)

BIGd

OMG Alun! LOL.. I hadn't picked up on that one, I had to read it twice to spot the Freudian there.. LOL!

Bring the wife, BIGd! We can't have a Bass Day without you! I think I remember your face from the previous years as well. Bring her! I'll get one of the players to dedicate a song to her, so there's your present sorted as well.. what more can you wish for? :huh:

Some people do bring their own basses, and have them signed by the artists or try their own bass out on an amp, or practise as you learn in one of the masterclasses. It's all good, you can bring your bass, as long as you're not asking me to carry it when you're tired of dragging it around.... :)

See you there!
-Pris

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='291772' date='Sep 25 2008, 01:01 PM']I went last year, and I'll be going again this year.

£20 is well worth the money for the number of artists performing IMO. I saw Hadrien Feraud for the first time there last year, and I'd pay the £20 for him alone. But to have Richard Bona and Yolanda Charles there.....along with others.....it's well worth it. (And no, I'm not on commission :huh:).

And I'm glad it's in a great place![/quote]

MB1. :)
Been to the first two!....The Jazz discharge party hats kinda scared me off last years ,but this years could be a distinct possibility!.....Shakin Stevens still playing?T.M.

Pris,
Is the restaurant going to be open all day - it was a bit a bit of a shame that it closed so soon after the start last year as there wasn't a great selection of grub in the cafe ? Also is there going to be a printed programme this year as that was also a bit of a pain not knowing what was happening and when without looking at the main notice board.
Only minnor niggles though - it was a fantastic day last year, really enjoyable and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone and it is good value for money.Shame Bond aren't on again, I found them the most enyjoyable not being a fan of jazz widdling myself.
regards,
Ed.

I'll be there, spoke to stevie today and will be photographing the day, shots should appear on here within a few hours depending on what time I get home

Bald head, big bag of cameras and probably a blue t-shirt that says RACE CREW on the back (cos I got a few of them)

I'll try and dig out some previous bass day shots tonight, but I got a magazine deadline that I'm working too tomorrow, so may not happen :)

T

[quote name='jacko' post='323579' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:26 PM']Is there any nearby disabled parking?[/quote]

Sorry - can't find the map, but this link (and the phone numbers) may be useful:

[url="http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/services_info.php?serviceID=1586"]http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/...?serviceID=1586[/url]

[quote name='edstraker123' post='321690' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:13 PM']Pris,
Is the restaurant going to be open all day - it was a bit a bit of a shame that it closed so soon after the start last year as there wasn't a great selection of grub in the cafe ? Also is there going to be a printed programme this year as that was also a bit of a pain not knowing what was happening and when without looking at the main notice board.
Only minnor niggles though - it was a fantastic day last year, really enjoyable and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone and it is good value for money.Shame Bond aren't on again, I found them the most enyjoyable not being a fan of jazz widdling myself.
regards,
Ed.[/quote]
There are great options for food just around the corner from the venue - an excellent and cheap noodle bar on Oxford Road (just before the Flea and Firkin pub). If you can drive up to Rusholme (5 minutes up Oxford Road travelling out of the city centre - less than a 20 minute walk), you'll find some of the UK's finest Asian restaurants - the Punjab Tandoori on the left is fantastic and has an excellent range of strictly vegetarian food alongside meat dishes. If you can make it into the city centre, the Chinatown district is massive (around George Street) and offers fantastic lunches at giveaway prices. I can't believe what I've done - I'm attending a party in London at the weekend and will miss Bass Day (and a curry).

[quote name='lozbass' post='323635' date='Nov 6 2008, 06:20 PM']If you can drive up to Rusholme (5 minutes up Oxford Road travelling out of the city centre - less than a 20 minute walk), you'll find some of the UK's finest Asian restaurants...[/quote]
Sod that - there are so many cheap buses down that road it'd be silly to drive.