Why become a member? ×

Polishing frets/Rosewood fretboard cleaning

titchfieldrelic

Hello Basschatters,

How often do you clean and polish your frets and rosewood fretboards?

I've got a Stingray and Sterling which are about 7 years old. The frets and boards are OK, but dull. Nothing has ever been done to them.

No dirt on the rosewood or corrosion on the frets, so do they really need cleaning and polishing?

Is it OK to remove all the strings without causing a problem to the neck to work on the fingerboard?

I was thinking of masking the board with masking tape and polishing the frets with silver polish, and then applying linseed or Musicnomad F one oil very sparingly to the boards.

I expect this topic has been discussed many times before, but the views expressed concerning the use of steel wool, and lemon oil etc are alarming!

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Lemon oil every time for me, whenever thing are looking a bit dry - but generally only when I buy a bass - new or previously owned, stick on a set of Flats & check maybe once a year ;)

I apply generously with a old toothbrush along the frets & up & down the grain then clean off with cotton pads or a cotton T shirt :unsure: applying more Lemon oil as required until the rosewood has a bit of colour deep in it. If very dry maybe apply some Beeswax & polish in & off.

No masking or faffing required.

Edit: Yes removing all the strings at once is not a problem

Edited by KiOgon

Yep, if it's been 7 years you should give the board a clean/oiling. Once you start cleaning you'll notice how dirty the board actually is! Opinions differ on whether or not it's necessary to oil the board to prevent the wood drying out, (though most will agree it is, or can be) but if done sensibly (not every month) it certainly can't hurt and will make the board look much nicer. Oiling too frequently (like every month) can definitely be worse than not at all, as it can get under frets and soften the wood round the slots. Once or twice a year at the maximum.

I personally use boiled linseed but all of these oils such as lemon, bore, linseed, or shop bought "fretboard conditioner" serve the same purpose. However if using something like Linseed you really don't want to build up too much of a film, so apply, give it 10 mins or so then wipe off.

0000 steel wool is fine for frets as long as you carefully mask off your pickups to prevent them attracting the broken fibers of steel wool. Do the frets before you do the board and you won't need to mask off the board if using steel wool.

Edited by Manton Customs

• 2 weeks later...

Sincere thanks to all of you who posted.

However, I'm surprised that so few (5 Basschatters) commented, bearing in mind it's something which most, if not all of us would need to do from time to time if we cared about our instruments.

I have to say I read almost everything there is to read on the subject (yes, anal, I know!).

I decided to take my time doing the work (to a 2007 LE StingRay, BFR Sterling and Fender Custom Shop Jazz). After removing the strings I masked the board with electrical tape (not masking tape) to expose the frets and very lightly rubbed the surfaces of the frets with a very fine emery paper to remove surface oxidation. The frets were then polished with silver polish several times and buffed. The tape was then removed and I used [b]Music Nomad F-One oil [/b]to clean and dress the fretboard using lint free rag. Each guitar took about two hours. I worked on one guitar a day. And I have to say the frets and rosewood boards now look absolutely stunning.

I bought and used a[b] Planet Waves headstand[/b] to support the guitar neck. Makes it all so much easier. I certainly wouldn't attempt to do this work without one.

Sorry to those of you who gave me advice which I didn't take. It seems that Lemon Oil is not the right thing to use for rosewood fretboards, nor wire wool for frets, although the use of these materials is very popular.

I suppose it's what makes this chatroom so interesting - so many differing views.

Edited by titchfieldrelic

[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1456782247' post='2992309']
However, I'm surprised that so few (5 Basschatters) commented
[/quote]

Have you tried getting a response in the "Share Your Music" forum? Oh, to be spat at in the face, you lucky, lucky b, etc. ;)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456819350' post='2992420']
I really need to polish up the frets on my Wal. I've only had it a year and the frets look like it's been gigged for decades...

They look brass to me, what should I be using to give them a bit of a clean up?
[/quote]
An angle grinder or wire brush wheel will bring them up a treat. After a couple of goes it will become fretless and you'll get a whole new sound. :)

Seriously though, Brasso will be fine, or Autosol. That's what I use on my Warwicks.

[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1456782247' post='2992309']
Sincere thanks to all of you who posted.

However, I'm surprised that so few (5 Basschatters) commented, bearing in mind it's something which most, if not all of us would need to do from time to time if we cared about our instruments.

I have to say I read almost everything there is to read on the subject (yes, anal, I know!).

I decided to take my time doing the work (to a 2007 LE StingRay, BFR Sterling and Fender Custom Shop Jazz). After removing the strings I masked the board with electrical tape (not masking tape) to expose the frets and very lightly rubbed the surfaces of the frets with a very fine emery paper to remove surface oxidation. The frets were then polished with silver polish several times and buffed. The tape was then removed and I used [b]Music Nomad F-One oil [/b]to clean and dress the fretboard using lint free rag. Each guitar took about two hours. I worked on one guitar a day. And I have to say the frets and rosewood boards now look absolutely stunning.

I bought and used a[b] Planet Waves headstand[/b] to support the guitar neck. Makes it all so much easier. I certainly wouldn't attempt to do this work without one.

Sorry to those of you who gave me advice which I didn't take. It seems that Lemon Oil is not the right thing to use for rosewood fretboards, nor wire wool for frets, although the use of these materials is very popular.

I suppose it's what makes this chatroom so interesting - so many differing views.
[/quote]

I appreciate it's a little bit late now as you've done it, but you shouldn't need emery paper or such, because that's a bit harsh. It will wear away your frets faster than needed.

It's good to hear it all went well though.

With regards to the responses, I think many of the readers round here are more interested in feeding their GAS than much else. At least, that's my perception.

Hi Grangur, I agree with what you say in your last post.

I'm retired with less income, so playing, practicing and now looking after what i have is all that's important to me.

I'm lucky that when I was buying basses (2007, 2009 and 2011) and amps, they were less expensive then. To get something similar now would cost twice as much. So why look?

More replies..? OK, then. I've guitars and basses that are just short of half a century old, and I've never used more than a lint-free cloth to clean 'em, still less oil 'em. Some are maple boards, most are rosewood or similar, and I've never come across symptoms of drying out or such. It's different in some climates, such as sub-tropical or Canada, where there can be long periods of differing humidity and temperature. It's also true that my environment is not a sterile, centrally-heated one (an old cottage with more draughts than a Chinese Checker board...). I have just, very recently, been bold enough to invest in a bottle of Dr. Duck's Ax Wax, which I believe will spruce 'em up a tad, but my inclination to indolence has, as yet, prevented me from even opening the bottle so far. Maybe this summer I'll give my basses a treat..? Or the year after; we'll see. I reckon this one bottle'll see me out. :mellow:

[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1456851830' post='2992900']
Hello Dad,

Did your school reports say you had an [b]'inclination to indolence?'[/b]
[/quote]

Dunno. Couldn't be b*ggered to read 'em. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

• 7 years later...

0000 wire wool and lemon oil for a clean and condition...

0000 wire wool and furniture wax for a polish...

Dremel and a mop with a dab of autosol if frets grained and grubby w/ fretboard guard shim to give the frets a go

Then one of the 4 Sided Nail Polish bricks... down thru the graded sides.

https://www.boots.com/boots-4-way-buffer-10278878

Then a light Microfiber clothing...

An enjoyable hour with a pint or jack 'n coke...

Edited by PaulThePlug