Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to detect a Fender precision Fake

briansbrew

Hi Guys, I need some expert help/advice.

I recently bought a Fender precision Bass off the evil bay and received it today, it was advertised as having minor wear marks and it's a 2008 model. Anyway having a good look at the overall finish of the body(black) and the finish is somewhat very DIY looking and it's not the high gloss finish that is on my other Precision.,

What is the best way to check if the finish has been over sprayed at some stage, no pics at the moment as its hidden away from the other half, you know the score lads but I will get some up tomorrow.

Ant help much appreciated. The serial number is fine by the way

Brian

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1455736852' post='2982000']
Whadya mean it's hidden away from the missus??
[/quote]

Yes, Brian did you buy a bass guitar with out getting permission from missus? If yes, that might be a bigger issue than any issues with the credibility of the bass.😀

Blue

Check in the neck pocket and under the pickups. Is the colour the same? It should be a poly finish, which would be very thick. If it had been refinished, it would be in a thinner coat which should be easier to spot. Try giving it a good going over with t-cut or autoglym and see if it's just a case of needing a bit of TLC?

Hi Cameltoe

I have done a spot of spraying in my time and I would do a better Job than the finish on this one, it would need rubbed down with 2000 grit and repolished its that bad. It looks no where near the finish on my Mexican precision.
the neck will be removed tomorrow when the Minister of home affairs is out and hopefully all will be revealed.
By the way its got a badass bridge fitted and this is a 2008 model which sported a high mass bridge anyway.
The fender logo is quite large as is the word precision which spreads across the length of the headstock.

Come back tomorrow for the pic reveal ;)

[quote name='briansbrew' timestamp='1455748836' post='2982179']
[url="http://s447.photobucket.com/user/brian_harkin1/slideshow/"]http://s447.photobuc...kin1/slideshow/[/url]
[/quote]

Should it look like this? How many variants of the Precision were there in 2008?
edit:answered by dlloyd

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cquuEl1GZjU[/media]

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1455750413' post='2982193']
It's a Highway One Precision. These had a thinner coat that was intended to wear more quickly... they were also a fair bit cheaper than the USA Series basses.
[/quote]

Yup, I agree. Different tuners, greasebucket tone circuit, no through body stringing, different finish. The Highway ONE ( as opposed to the earlier Highway 1) did come with a BadAss II as standard IIRC.

By chance how much should one pay for a highway one there's a very good condition one local, but they want £500 seems a bit much even in very good condition.
How do these feel compared to the USA std?
Is it true the body wears very quickly.

Edited by Twincam

Well guys I took the pick guard off and the finish below it was satin and original, it is indeed a Highway one, never came across one of these before. Plays and sound great by the way but I purchased was I thought was a standard precision and paid a good price for it 600 with shipping. I guess the highways can be got for a little less.

Anyone here any experience of them
I don't know if I should keep it and ask for some cash back due to it being mis-sold or get my money back and get the standard model

thanks for all your input gentlemen, much appreciated

[quote name='briansbrew' timestamp='1455792332' post='2982421']
Well guys I took the pick guard off and the finish below it was satin and original, it is indeed a Highway one, never came across one of these before. Plays and sound great by the way but I purchased was I thought was a standard precision and paid a good price for it 600 with shipping. I guess the highways can be got for a little less.

Anyone here any experience of them
I don't know if I should keep it and ask for some cash back due to it being mis-sold or get my money back and get the standard model

thanks for all your input gentlemen, much appreciated
[/quote]

I think that price was a little too high but not a rip off. You can get std models for between 550 and 700. There's a near mint condition highway one jazz in black near to me for £500. If it was advertised as a standard you could ask for some money back but if it was advertised as a precision bass USA etc then it's doubtful if they would refund. So if you felt you have been mislead then go for it.

All well that end well, the seller has refund me all the money and paid for the return courier. He accepted that it should have been in the listing, he said that I should have known from the pictures that it was a Highway, since I never seen one before then I was mis-led.

Happy ending all around :D

[quote name='briansbrew' timestamp='1455815149' post='2982700']
All well that end well, the seller has refund me all the money and paid for the return courier. He accepted that it should have been in the listing, he said that I should have known from the pictures that it was a Highway, since I never seen one before then I was mis-led.

Happy ending all around :D
[/quote]

Sounds like he's a really good seller! Having not seen pics, or the listing we can't make judgement on the selling pics.

Nice result.