Why become a member? ×

Beginners section ?

The Hat

What would you like to see there? We have a few sticky topics but tend to keep them to a minimum as they generally get overlooked. We don't mind people asking basic questions in the main forums, either - we all start somewhere.

Cheers
ped

I'd be happy for this to exist and if it did there should be a gigantic sticky that says, "USE A METRONOME". Honestly if I'd known how useful metronome practise was from day one my progress would have been A LOT quicker.

There are even free metronome apps for your phone now, you've simply GOT to do it.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455624317' post='2980757']
I'd be happy for this to exist and if it did there should be a gigantic sticky that says, "USE A METRONOME". Honestly if I'd known how useful metronome practise was from day one my progress would have been A LOT quicker.

There are even free metronome apps for your phone now, you've simply GOT to do it.
[/quote]

That's a good tip - perhaps a thread of 'beginners tips' would be interesting.

My take on this is that it's healthy for people to explore the forum and its various sub-sections.

There are great tips for beginners scattered throughout Basschat. Most sub-forums already have a dedicated/pinned beginners thread of some kind. Putting all of this info into one thread might encourage people to get lazy and not explore the community to its fullest.

Like, for instance...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/10-recording/"][b][size=8]The Recording Forum[/size][/b][/url]

...which is [i]by far[/i] the coolest place to hang out. Of course.

:D

Edited by Skol303

I hear ya, but a lot of posts from a beginners view seem like they are in a foreign language. I do search the forum but sometimes I feel like asking what would be considered by most as dumb questions. Esp when it comes to amps, cabs and effects. I actually had no idea what a cab was until I went into a local music shop .
Dont get me wrong this is not a knock at the forum, just a thought that's all.
As we all go along on this journey we all learn 😀

I think it's a great idea, as long as more experienced players are happy to contribute, we all started somewhere, knowing sweet fa about what we were doing, a forum where beginners feel they can ask what, to many of us, may seem like "dumb" questions is a really good idea and somewhere where even more experienced players may learn a thing or two

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1455635357' post='2980920']
I hear ya, but a lot of posts from a beginners view seem like they are in a foreign language. I do search the forum but sometimes I feel like asking what would be considered by most as dumb questions. Esp when it comes to amps, cabs and effects. I actually had no idea what a cab was until I went into a local music shop .
Dont get me wrong this is not a knock at the forum, just a thought that's all.
As we all go along on this journey we all learn
[/quote]

Absolutely, but don't be scared to ask. I'm fairly certain nobody will jump on you for mixing up what the nut and the bridge are (I remember mixing those up) or wondering what string gauge means. We were all new once and we're all (mostly) mature enough to not just go STFU N00b. So don't worry, if you're confused just ask in here, people will answer, it'll all be good.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455711963' post='2981665']

Absolutely, but don't be scared to ask. I'm fairly certain nobody will jump on you for mixing up what the nut and the bridge are (I remember mixing those up) or wondering what string gauge means. We were all new once and we're all (mostly) mature enough to not just go STFU N00b. So don't worry, if you're confused just ask in here, people will answer, it'll all be good.
[/quote]. This ^
I've been playing bass around 5 years now. Sometimes I can be knowledgeable, but on a lot of things I'm a total noon too. I've asked some stoopid questions, I'm sure. Only once or twice have I been made to feel a drongo and then the guy apologized.

Never feel dumb about asking anything here. If it ever feels like a question could be embarrassing to ask, you can always PM someone. Most here are great folk.

The other rip for a newcomer is, if you can get along to a local bass bash. They're good fun and good places to learn.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455624317' post='2980757']

[/quote]

Looking back on my 20 years of playing:
Completely agree on metronome.

Learn to read, ...music and charts - maybe not so much TAB, but the TAB argument / No TAB argument has been done to death many times.

The Major's resource on here is fantastic:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/74284-the-majors-bass-boot-camp-session-index-1-36/

And, jam along to favourite tracks - as a beginner I wouldn't worry too much about the actual notes (ie the pitch of the notes) but have fun with the:
rhythm
timings,
note length,
phrases,
articulation,
dynamics

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1455715032' post='2981727']
I agree with what most people are saying, just don't be afraid to ask about things. That said, i wouldn't mind seeing a section with just some stickies featuring FAQs that we get on the site.
[/quote]

Yeah, maybe a FAQ sticky would be a good idea. Like I say, my original post wasn't a knock at the forum which is superb. Just an observation from a beginners point of view

This is why I recommend lessons when you first start out.

It can save a lot of stress, anger and frustration.

It's also a lot easier to ask a teacher what may be a silly question, rather than posting it on the internet. I've been asked some very 'silly' questions over the years. But these were questions that the student needed to know the answer to.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1455623315' post='2980734']
This may well have been suggested, but would it be beneficial to have a beginners section ? I am one myself and would like to see one. Just a thought that's all ��
[/quote]

I was a beginner once, so I wrote a few words about what I would have liked to have known when I started out on Bass. Hope this helps??

>> http://infinitybass.com/bassists-should-know-these-7-things/

Best wishes,

Edited by SimonEdward