Why become a member? ×

That moment when............

davehux

....you're setting up in a pub you've never played before.

And you've been told by the landlady to setup behind a line from the door post to the corner of the pool table, so as not to block access.
And the guitarist's pedal board and mike stand is just over the line.
And the landlady asks him to move it.
And he say's 'It's only just over the line, whats the problem'.
And she says 'Are you arguing with me?'.
And the bass player has to step in and smooth all the feathers and stroke the fur back down.
And move the pedal board and mike stand back behind the line.

That wasn't in the job description

That's true. Probably best not to let a drummer set up without pointing out that the stage is for everyone to use. Spatial awareness and the ability to whack things is not strongly correlated.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1455370664' post='2978516']
well… atleast theyre not drummers.
[/quote]

We had a gig in a very small room where the band left enough room for about 5 people.

I pointed that out but was ignored. Then the Landlord came up and laid down the law. We finally had about 20% of the original space, which was still OK.

It was blindingly obvious to anyone with a brain. Unfortunately that band didn't have one!

Experienced this more times than I care to remember! :angry:
I think it stems from the guitarist's mistaken belief that he is the most important person in the building and the landlady's knowledge that she IS the most important person in the building.

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1455372280' post='2978536']
We had a gig in a very small room where the band left enough room for about 5 people.

I pointed that out but was ignored. Then the Landlord came up and laid down the law. We finally had about 20% of the original space, which was still OK.

It was blindingly obvious to anyone with a brain. Unfortunately that band didn't have one!
[/quote]

well the IQ of a group is the lowest IQ divided by the number of people.

Unsuitable rooms always makes me think of a gig my wife and I went to see in a village pub. My wife and I had done a disco there when we owned a mobile disco. The room is about the size of our livingroom, but there is a bay that we easily fit into with our lighting rack, decks, 500w P.A. and even all the light boxes across the front, leaving plenty of room for tables and room for people to dance.

The band we went to see there took up well over half the room with their gear, which included a massive P.A. So there should have been room for about 12 or 15 people to stand and watch, but they also had a huge mixing desk, and they had created a barrier using tables to cordon off the back of the room where the desk was. So in the end there was room for six people to stand in a line, as long as they didn't move. But it was so incredibly loud that being in there was literally painful. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1455371971' post='2978531']
...Probably best not to let a drummer set up without pointing out that the stage is for everyone to use...
[/quote]

So true. When setting up, the buggers will strew their gear over every available flat surface including your standing room, your cab and your amp. When this is pointed out, they just stare blankly at you with their mouths open. Just like when they're playing.

Edited by discreet

Good post. Good lines about drummers too. I've found them to be generally polite and compact but it's always irritated me that the space the drummer takes up is indisputable, whatever's left over is for the rest of the band.
At my last gig I had more gear at my feet than the lead guitarist which I just knew irked the f%&k out of him!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1455386298' post='2978713']
Aerodrums are the answer!
[/quote]

Could be (I've a set on order...), but don't overlook the need for unimpeded line of sight for the camera and floodlight needed for the thing. Not so much 'real estate' saved, really. :wacko:

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1455394929' post='2978835']
we are usually the most laid back and sensible of the bunch, hence we are often employed as mediators and peacekeepers.
[/quote]

And I was the one nominated to collect the cash at the end of the night
And we had a nice chat
And she paid us in full
And bass players rule :-)