Why become a member? ×

Bass for sale on eBay .. Not sure about seller .

Saw a fretted version of my vester fretless bass.
On there at the moment .
Been relisted. Asked buyer if he wanted to do a buy it now price .( I was thinking£250)
He gave me long winded answer. Next day , and wanted £350-400. T oo expensive IMHO .

Nobody has bid yet . £200 starting price .
2 days left . If I bid £250 I have a feeling games will be played .
Your thoughts ??

Thought you were going to save that money from the Telecaster Bass sale :lol:

I've never worked out these sniping tools, but if you are keen, I'd just watch it in the final minutes and put your £250 on as late as possible (less than a minute from the end).

eBay/PayPal is always on the side of the buyer, I'm not saying it's right but it'll work for you. Go for it, pay with PayPal, any shenanigans you report the user, they'll get a strike against them plus neg feedback which they can't retaliate against, you'll get your money back, simples.

Lyle's top tips for ebay buying , when you 1000% want that item and want it cheap :-P

1. If there is no bid on the item.. bid £201 this will suss out if there is a hidden reserve price , If so[b] walk away[/b] the person has usually put what he
expects to get and isoverpricing the item. Enjoy having to relist it when it doesn't sell .

2. If you become the highest bidder and the reserve is met , Wait a few hours to see if the seller has Shill a bid ( over your £201) usually this can be quite quick especially if the seller is using automation to deal with it. If so [b]Walk away [/b]...

3. The waiting game ... your first test bid is your last bid on the item until the last possible moment , I'd [b]wait [/b]until 30 seconds before the end of the
auction then stick snipe bid in of the Very maximum you are willing to pay ... ebay's automated system will drop the value of the bid to the highest
value to beat the last bid but not more .., avoid a round figure ... I like things like 203.65 for a 200 pound sum :-P

4. Ebay is a legally binding contract , if the bass gets a bid he cant re-list it repeatedly without incurring charges / marks against his account that 201 bid
you made and His return shill bid to drive the price up put paid to that.

5. The re-list .... the guy may try to re-list it AGAIN at his cost ... guess what your gonna do again ;-) until the seller gets bored / annoyed and you win.

Good luck and bring it over when you come try the status :-P

Edited by synthaside

Chances are, he's just trying to get the max price for the bass (aren't we all? lol)
A few rogue sellers on ebay give it a bad name, overall most sellers are good, honest people
That said, I'd still MUCH prefer to buy from a BC'er myself...
This guy might be an OK seller - he may just be chancing his arm, with such a high price

As others have said - put in a low bid a couple of minutes before bidding ends, and make it an odd amount (eg £210.47p)
If it doesn't sell, chances are he'll re-list it.
Although an ebay purchase / sale is a legally binding contract, I'm not sure ebay themselves are always the best for customer services

I've watched items in the past, on ebay for days (sometimes weeks) - you place a bid, and within minutes (sometimes seconds), you've been outbid!
That's definitely some kind of automated bidding software going on - I always walk away from that....

Best of luck anyhow, and let us know how you get on :)

EDIT: Also meant to add - if it doesn't sell for a reserve price, and he doesn't tr-list
Don't be tempted to make him an offer outside of ebay, as you have no protection
You could ask him to list it again on a B.I.N. and get him to send the link to you immediately...

Edited by Marc S

Call me crazy but I just decide what its worth to me, bid that, and then forget about it till the auction ends. If someone outbids me they've paid more than I was willing to so there's no problem. If no one bids more than I'm prepared to pay then I win, so no problem.

Really don't understand why people are so eager to hand over their ebay account details and password to a third party website for sniping. Just bid honestly.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1453988001' post='2964978']
Call me crazy but I just decide what its worth to me, bid that, and then forget about it till the auction ends. If someone outbids me they've paid more than I was willing to so there's no problem. If no one bids more than I'm prepared to pay then I win, so no problem.

Really don't understand why people are so eager to hand over their ebay account details and password to a third party website for sniping. Just bid honestly.
[/quote]

Same here - I just bid the max I'm prepared to pay for the item, then if I win, cool. If I don't, then hey ho it went for more than I was willing to pay.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1453988363' post='2964990']
^I love taking these items for a few pence more at the last minute!

Sniping in person is the only way.
[/quote]

More than I'm willing to pay is more than I'm willing to pay whether it's pennies or hundreds. It's a very simple concept.

I've tried sniping, it's more hassle than its worth. My way is simple and there's no risk of doing something stupid and getting caught by an adrenaline rush.

The longer you are the high bidder, the longer people have to take pot shots at you (who may be suffering from adrenaline fuelled bidding more than they meant to). There is adrenaline with sniping in person, but there's nothing you can do with it except breathe faster when you submit your best bid with >10 secs to go...

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1453989511' post='2965025']
The longer you are the high bidder, the longer people have to take pot shots at you (who may be suffering from adrenaline fuelled bidding more than they meant to). There is adrenaline with sniping in person, but there's nothing you can do with it except breathe faster when you submit your best bid with >10 secs to go...
[/quote]

They can take all the potshots they like, they only win if they bid more money than my maximum. Good luck to them.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1453990482' post='2965042']
They can take all the potshots they like, they only win if they bid more money than my maximum. Good luck to them.
[/quote]

Yes but if I bid my max with >10 seconds to go, there's very little opportunity for someone to bid more than they intended because they've got all caught up in it - that's what I'm getting at. Each to their own, this is what I believe and how I operate and it works for me.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1453990640' post='2965043']

Yes but if I bid my max with >10 seconds to go, there's very little opportunity for someone to bid more than they intended because they've got all caught up in it - that's what I'm getting at. Each to their own, this is what I believe and how I operate and it works for me.
[/quote]

Maybe, but I also never miss out on items because my neighbours are torrenting the entire internet, or because I desperately needed a pee, or because my kids have fallen and bashed their head, or an unexpected knock at the door, or a dead phone battery... ;-)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1453991313' post='2965061']
Maybe, but I also never miss out on items because my neighbours are torrenting the entire internet, or because I desperately needed a pee, or because my kids have fallen and bashed their head, or an unexpected knock at the door, or a dead phone battery... ;-)
[/quote]

Yes, admittedly there are risks in the approach, and sniping on the phone isn't as sure a thing as on the computer. The peeing one I don't accept though - sniping takes planning, should have gone 5-10 mins before auction end ;)

Both methods are valid ... The last minute snipe method does have more chance of getting a lower price as a competing bidder bidding in a conventional way will not have time to respond to the over-bid. The bid what you want and forget about it until you win or lose method has the advantage of convenience .

Using automated tools to bid .... has the advantages of both but the cost of having to hand over your Ebay details to a 3rd party.

There's opportunity cost in everything , That lovely bass i couldn't buy because ive spent my money on other things instead :P

Last 5 seconds snipe for me, with my absolute, no-questions maximum bid. You win a few - and in my experience, you lose a lot fewer.

And if you do lose - so what, it's Ebay, whatever it was, another one'll be along sooner or later. [i]Whatever[/i] it was. :)

Jon.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1453989300' post='2965022']

More than I'm willing to pay is more than I'm willing to pay whether it's pennies or hundreds. It's a very simple concept.

I've tried sniping, it's more hassle than its worth. My way is simple and there's no risk of doing something stupid and getting caught by an adrenaline rush.
[/quote]
If your bid is at what I deem its maximum value the same as you I wouldn't even bid on it, if anything I've found that if I bid in advance I've got more time to talk myself into upping my firm set maximum price.