Why become a member? ×

Your dream bass

EccentricRichard

Mine doesn't even exist. Back in the 80s, Gibson made a guitar called the 335 S - it had an ES-335 shape body, but smaller and solid, not semi-hollow. I've long thought it would make a nice bass, so here's a crudely photoshopped version...

I think it would offer something for those who'd like a Gibson or Epiphone long-scale bass, but don't want a Thunderbird or a Les Paul, and don't want an Epi EB-3 - Gibson no longer makes an EB-3L, I believe. It'd be like a slightly bigger double cutaway Les Paul bass, but I think LPDCs are only made as guitars.

Any comments?

Edited by EccentricRichard

I'd like something of a jazz bass variety with a very smooth maple neck with black block inlays & binding. Also thinking a white body & black hardware with say I dunno some Nordstrand jazz pups.

Would have to map it out on paint or something first though just to make sure the maple with all the black would go together lol.

Had my dream Bass made for me a couple of years ago. [ see my pic to the left.. :)

I wanted a single cut...
with ebony board and profile of the Marcus Miller 5..got that.
Agi 3 band pre-amp...got that.
Through body Badass...got that.
Something that sounded Musicman, and in single coil mode Jazz bass like...got that.
Funny thing is that it has a massive out put..so i tend to use it in Passive mode.

Had no more Gas since i got this...
So one happy Bunny... :huh:

Garry

I actually really like the honey violin finish, my favourite rockbass!
Before they released the rockbass fortress the originals could be picked up for small money on occaision, i saw a lovely old battered one go on ebay for peanuts a few years back (when i had no money :) ).
Now everyone wants em!

Still laugh every time i do a search on ebay and that german shop has 3 of the flashback ones, the first one didn't sell so why list 2 more? :huh:

Anyways, back on topic!

Btw, if anyone has a fortress they might like to swap for a fretless warmoth jazz i'm starting to get GAS again.......

I really don't like any kind of P-bass. Their tone isn't right for most of the music I like. Maybe messing about with different pickups, such as those on the Thunderbird, might help, but if I've got to have Fender, I'd take a Jazz any day. But I just don't like Fender generally: though I liked John-Paul Jones with his Jazz - the Alembic he replaced it with was horrible. Maybe bolt-in neck construction just doesn't work.

My other dream would be a semi-hollow bass, like a Gibson ES-335 but as a bass, but without F-holes, a la B. B. King's guitar Lucille. There's a guy in Devon makes a 335 bass, but it's got F-holes and the pickup arrangement makes it look really ugly.

Anyone got any comments on my 'EB-335 S'?