Why become a member? ×

Sting and Peter Gabriel!?

ras52

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453239940' post='2957824']
Agreed - I prefer Sellotape.
[/quote]
I have an increasing list of band that if I hear unexpectedly on the radio, have to turn off immediately to prevent brain damage: The Buzzcocks, Oasis, Sting, The Smiths....Sellotape is one of those borderline bands.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453243637' post='2957866']
If they'd done this in the 80s or 90s I would have gone.
Neither of them has done anything remotely interesting (IMO) for donkeys years so I won't be bothering.
[/quote]

They did, kind of. At the Amnesty International Human Rights Now tour with a show at Wembley, 1998. Some bloke Bruce Something headlined. Pretty good!

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1453278949' post='2957965']
I have an increasing list of band that if I hear unexpectedly on the radio, have to turn off immediately to prevent brain damage: The Buzzcocks, Oasis, Sting, The Smiths....Sellotape is one of those borderline bands.
[/quote]

Oasis, Sting, etc I totally understand, but what happened in your life for Sellotape to be a problem? :D It's not a sticking point for me.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1453278992' post='2957967']

They did, kind of. At the Amnesty International Human Rights Now tour with a show at Wembley, 1998. Some bloke Bruce Something headlined. Pretty good!
[/quote]

That was all a bit hand wringing & worthy though, wasn't it?
The fact that Tracy Chapman was on the bill was a deal breaker for me too, I think she's bloody awful.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453284287' post='2958005']
The fact that Tracy Chapman was on the bill was a deal breaker for me too, I think she's bloody awful.
[/quote]

I think her first album is very good. But I find her later albums a bit featureless. I can't understand what would make her bloody awful in someone's eyes/ears. Can you explain?

I'd be interested in a Sting/PG tour. Not sure about paying £100 or more for the tickets. I'll probably wait for the Blu-Ray.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1453288677' post='2958059']

I think her first album is very good. But I find her later albums a bit featureless. I can't understand what would make her bloody awful in someone's eyes/ears. Can you explain?
[/quote]

You like her I don't, why do I have to explain?
I not expecting you to explain why you like her.

Tracy Chapman's Happy album was pretty good.

Gabriel's last solo studio album was really good, that was 10 years ago now though.

I also really liked his orchestral reworking album. The live arrangement of Sigmal to noise was fantastic. http://youtu.be/ZXFVOWIX_gE

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453284287' post='2958005']
[/quote]

Nah, it was a good laugh. Went for beer during TC, PG did Games Without Frontiers and Family Snapshot. Sting was still on his Nothing Like The Sun tour so that was pretty jazzy (ie still quite good, no sigh of lutes). Springsteen's set was only 90 minutes or so, so just about bearable.

And it was nearly 30 years ago so my memory is hazy.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1453292608' post='2958105']

Nah, it was a good laugh. Went for beer during TC, PG did Games Without Frontiers and Family Snapshot. Sting was still on his Nothing Like The Sun tour so that was pretty jazzy (ie still quite good, no sigh of lutes). Springsteen's set was only 90 minutes or so, so just about bearable.

And it was nearly 30 years ago so my memory is hazy.
[/quote]

I saw Gabriel on the 'So' tour & Sting on the 'Nothing Like The Sun' tour so I had it all covered anyway.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1453304506' post='2958268']
I wish I'd seen Sting on the Dream Of The Blue Turtles tour. What an incredible band he had alongside him.
[/quote]

Yeah, agreed. You've got live album Bring On The Night, right?

If you're on the petergabriel.com newsletter mailing list, you'll have already seen the presale links. Front and centre seats are yours for $250 each.

I'm not sure how this sits in the scheme of US gig ticket pricing, but that's £180 at today's exchange rate.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1453316365' post='2958412']
If you're on the petergabriel.com newsletter mailing list, you'll have already seen the presale links. Front and centre seats are yours for $250 each.

I'm not sure how this sits in the scheme of US gig ticket pricing, but that's £180 at today's exchange rate.
[/quote]

:shok:

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1453313193' post='2958382']
Yeah, agreed. You've got live album Bring On The Night, right?
[/quote]
Oh yessss. Worth having just for Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down. I keep meaning to get the DVD.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1453325831' post='2958550']
Oh yessss. Worth having just for Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down. I keep meaning to get the DVD.
[/quote]

Think I've got it on tape somewhere. It's ok, but it makes you love Sting just a little bit less in all the "documentary" cuts between songs. Can't remember exactly why but you know, [i]Sting.[/i]

I'm gonna add Consider Me Gone, Low Life, Driven to Tears, Moon Over Bourbon Street and especially Dream of the Blue Turtles/Demolition Man to your choice for top tracks from that album.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453290104' post='2958069']
You like her I don't, why do I have to explain?
I not expecting you to explain why you like her.
[/quote]

I'm quite happy to explain why I like her if you or anyone wants to know. I think her first album has memorable well-structured melodies attached to interesting lyrics with something to say from her political point of view to make overall strong songs. The arrangements are mostly simple, but I quite like the singer-songwriter format, and she has a nice sounding voice.

I'm just curious as to what it is about her music that you not only don't like, but find "bloody awful". If you don't want to say, then you're free to refuse. But, I don't think my question is unreasonable.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1453304506' post='2958268']
I wish I'd seen Sting on the Dream Of The Blue Turtles tour. What an incredible band he had alongside him.
[/quote]
I saw that tour at Birmingham NEC - to this day one of the best gigs I've seen. The DVD (recorded in Paris?) doesn't do it justice.

If I ever have a downer on Mr Sumner I hark back to the early Police albums and the Dream of the Blue Turtles tour..

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1453363415' post='2958688']
They should have called it the 'Dropping like flies' tour. I bet that would have shifted a few more tickets.
[/quote]

Did you see Fripp's promo video for the last KC tour, in which he urged us not to wait for the next one?