Why become a member? ×

Audition Woes- I keep bottling it

CyberBass

I don't really bother with auditions as I know what I'm looking for and it is better for me to go out and get that rather than expect a band to have covered it.

As for learning the set..it depends, if I know the song in my head..then I can pretty much busk/play it.
I'm not bothered about basslines as my role will be to make the bottom end work..so I have to adapt
to what the other guys are doing. So, you do this on the fly.
At most I might have a chord chart but if there are any figures that must be played..I'll concentrate on that.
It is likely to be that 'attention to detail' that people will focus on ..as it happens.

So, the ability to pick something up quickly and make it sound good it better than playing the part exactly right
but not knowing why it isn't really working in a band sense..

All this gets easier when you have a wealth of experience in various genres and styles and knowing you'll make sense of it.

Jazz gigs can be a perfect example.....you expect it to be a reading gig and mostly it is the horn parts that have charts.
If the drummer is reading it..it is a reading gig.. :lol:

The trick is to have put yourself about and know you can cope...

If someone says pick x number of songs and let them know which ones you want to play...you couldn't have it much more on your terms, really.

Your playing is very important but so is how you gel with the other guys which is why bands pick mates...
I don't myself... but you can understand why some do as that apsect is importantly to them.

If you get on with the guys...then that can't not help.
Try and gel/flash with the drummer as he will (should) know what you are doing best

If you don't gel with the drummer...you don't want the gig anyway..

Edited by JTUK

From the other side of the fence, if you are a band and you are auditioning players you are usually grateful if:

1. Auditionee is on time.
2. Auditionee is prepared.
3. Auditionee has described themselves and their ability honestly in their advert.
4. Auditionee doesn't smell bad and generally is pleasant.

Beyond that it's great when you find the right person but you certainly don't begrudge anyone who doesn't fit as long as they have adhered to points 1-4 so there's actually very little to be afraid of.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1453241502' post='2957838']
From the other side of the fence, if you are a band and you are auditioning players you are usually grateful if:

1. Auditionee is on time.
2. Auditionee is prepared.
3. Auditionee has described themselves and their ability honestly in their advert.
4. Auditionee doesn't smell bad and generally is pleasant.

Beyond that it's great when you find the right person but you certainly don't begrudge anyone who doesn't fit as long as they have adhered to points 1-4 so there's actually very little to be afraid of.
[/quote]

Add to that list sober and has his or her own bass :).

I would ask how the songs are performed.Like, do you play it like the original artists recording and in that key. If you can't get a straight answer that's a red flag.

It's really hard to know what a band is looking for in an audition. My feeling is most bands even when they're musically good, are not well versed in the audition process. They might not know they're looking for.

Another thing a lot of theses guys don't even know a good bass player from bad.

No matter how good an audition is you will rarely beat out the guy that's friend's with someone in the band. I always ask if they are auditioning any friends of the band. If yes, I won't audition. But I will follow up in a few months. The friend of the band usually never works out.

More important like many have said, your also auditioning them. Do they have what your looking for in a band.

Blue

Edited by blue

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1453200218' post='2957254']
Personally I wouldn't force myself to do something.

If you don't do a good audition, that could really affect your confidence.
[/quote]

Id say just get out there and have a go, auditioning is like anything else, you need practice at doing them if your not a seasoned player. The fact that your on here asking for advice and taking it seriously probably means you wont be the worst person they try out, even if your not the best.

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1453194240' post='2957183']
When playing a cover to you play note for note accuracy or your take of the song? Any tips or advice welcome and appreciated.
[/quote]

For what it's worth my perspective is learn the key stand out bass parts as has been said above. As to the note for note I guess I'd draw the distinction between a tribute band and a covers band. If you're doing covers I'd wager most people wouldn't know anyway, just get the feel right I think.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453200065' post='2957252']
I always learn covers note-for-note, but that's just me it would seem.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that, I'm just too lazy though - if I can hear that someone is obviously free styling it in a particular bit of a song I just do likewise within the same parameters (rhythmic phrasing, scales etc), there are limits though as you have to be able get on the same wavelength as the original player and there are some players whose sense of improvisation is just too "out there" to emulate with any credibility (e.g. geddy lee).

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1453281399' post='2957981']
Nothing wrong with that, I'm just too lazy though - if I can hear that someone is obviously free styling it in a particular bit of a song I just do likewise within the same parameters (rhythmic phrasing, scales etc)...
[/quote]

The problem is finding other players who like to do the same. If you learn a song note-for-note and the rest of the band doesn't, your carefully-learnt bass line won't fit properly into the song. So inevitably you have to play it 'wrong' to make it work, which boils my piss and is the reason I generally don't like playing in covers bands. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453283106' post='2957995']

The problem is finding other players who like to do the same. If you learn a song note-for-note and the rest of the band doesn't, your carefully-learnt bass line won't fit properly into the song. So inevitably you have to play it 'wrong' to make it work, which boils my piss and is the reason I generally don't like playing in covers bands. :)
[/quote]

Relax a bit over this.

Learn something that approximates and turn up to the rehearsal with an open mind.

Quite often you'll never replicate the original due to loads of limitations (mainly most pop is heavily over-produced).

It's a cover not a facsimile.

Maybe the problem the OP has is that the sort of music he will be playing in cover/function bands is just not his cup of tea. He says he played in originals bands & a Stooges tribute act so maybe that's the case.
I know that's the problem I would have - most of the stuff I'd have to learn I would just not be interested in playing, which means I just wouldn't have any enthusiasm for it. A lot of the standard covers band stuff these days I've never even heard - I heard 'Mr. Brightside' by the Killers for the first time ever the other day & I thought it was sh*t.

I recently had to retire on health grounds so I've been thinking of maybe joining a covers or function band just for something to do, but I know I'd just not have the discipline to spend time listening to & learning songs I really don't like. I'd just find it stressful & miserable, which would translate into me being nervous when it came to auditioning for any bands.

Edited by RhysP

I have only been to three auditions (all in the last 12 months or so), I turned the first 2 down and accepted the third one. I made sure that I knew the songs inside out, this means that I could adapt what I was playing to suit the band once the song had fired up - tempo, dynamics and feel etc - things that are usually set by how good the drummer is!

I have been in bands from the position of auditioning prospective members and the other thread on here at the moment should give an indication of how to prepare (or not in many cases).

If someone comes into the audition and does the songs 'on the fly' then I can tell a mile off. Obviously this can be a good thing (it can show how adaptable the player is and that they have a huge amount of experience and a jukebox memory of songs) or it can be bad in that it displays a certain amount of disrespect to the band who have offered you an audition, booked the room, organised the different times for auditionees and any other factors that come along with organising the slot. I just think that if someone can't put in the effort to do the songs properly when they are auditioning (when they are hopefully trying to make a good impression) then what will they be like week in week out at rehearsals if they get the gig and new songs are to be put together?

I don't think that covers should be a facsimile of the original, most of the time the original artist cant even do that, but the most identifiable parts of the songs should be intact. The covers bands I have seen who get the finer points are the ones who I enjoy the most, the ones who have members who are playing from hearing it once or twice on the radio and then blagging it are the ones who are destined to forever play in the venues most good bands are trying to avoid.

This is all just my opinion obviously.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1453287722' post='2958046']
...the most identifiable parts of the songs should be intact. The covers bands I have seen who get the finer points are the ones who I enjoy the most, the ones who have members who are playing from hearing it once or twice on the radio and then blagging it are the ones who are destined to forever play in the venues most good bands are trying to avoid...
[/quote]

This guy gets it!! :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453284407' post='2958009']
Relax a bit over this. Learn something that approximates and turn up to the rehearsal with an open mind. Quite often you'll never replicate the original due to loads of limitations (mainly most pop is heavily over-produced). It's a cover not a facsimile.
[/quote]

I'm not going to turn up to an audition with 'something that approximates'. I will have learned the material to the best of my ability and take it from there. If the band's versions turn out to be 'looser', then I'm immediately in the best position to cope with that. And I know you can't replicate the production values of a song live, that's obvious and I don't attempt it. But I do like to properly learn the notes that the bass player is playing, the correct arrangement, the feel, the groove and any other bits and pieces that make the song what it is. Missing chunks out because they're 'too hard' or doing it half-assed because 'the punters will be pissed anyway' is not an option as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453290627' post='2958076']

This guy gets it!! :)

I'm not going to turn up to an audition with 'something that approximates'. I will have learned the material to the best of my ability and take it from there. If the band's versions turn out to be 'looser', then I'm immediately in the best position to cope with that. And I know you can't replicate the production values of a song live, that's obvious and I don't attempt it. But I do like to properly learn the notes that the bass player is playing, the correct arrangement, the feel, the groove and any other bits and pieces that make the song what it is. Missing chunks out because they're 'too hard' or doing it half-assed because 'the punters will be pissed anyway' is not an option as far as I'm concerned.
[/quote]

An audition is slightly different to a rehearsal.

There's a difference between doing something half arsed and doing something exactly as per the original.

It's music, not maths.

What if all band members did [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]something that approximates?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I agree that auditions are different to rehearsals though, but the approach to learning songs should be the same. Learn the songs, before you get in the audition/rehearsal room.[/font][/color]

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1453292036' post='2958097']
What if all band members did [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]something that approximates?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I agree that auditions are different to rehearsals though, but the approach to learning songs should be the same. Learn the songs, before you get in the audition/rehearsal room.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

You get a good sounding band?

If you only have guitar, bass and drums, something has to be changed to most tunes. Practically every band will overdub a rhythm guitar during the main guitar solo. It would rule out all covers of any band with a second guitarist or keyboard player and anything with brass.

I've never even heard a band play one of their own tunes live the same as it is on a record.

It's a cover. That means Lyrics, melody, structure are the same. Everything else is just production. Unless the bass part is part of the melody, you can actually play whatever you like.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453291047' post='2958081']
An audition is slightly different to a rehearsal.
[/quote]

Yes, I thought you meant 'audition'. I can't read. :rolleyes: But that's another thing... when people expect to learn songs at rehearsal without any preparation. Rehearsal should be for... rehearsing, not listening to a song in the car on the way in then winging it.

I suppose what I'm saying is, there are too many things about playing in covers bands that raise the temperature of my urine to 100 degrees Celcius (or above), so I don't do covers bands. Having said that, I've just joined a covers band - but the material is very niche and quite obscure. Plus, the other members of the band are real anoraks, so I think I may have found my spiritual home... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453293156' post='2958110']
You get a good sounding band?

Unless the bass part is part of the melody, you can actually play whatever you like.
[/quote]

Our opinions differ it seems. I feel that the bassline an integral part of how the song sounds whether you realise it or not. I try and keep to that.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1453295396' post='2958160']

Our opinions differ it seems. I feel that the bassline an integral part of how the song sounds whether you realise it or not. I try and keep to that.
[/quote]

It's your job as a bassplayer to make the bass line work with the rest of the band.

I've played in bands where the drummer has trodden all over the bass line with his right foot.

You can either have a massive argument and raise the temperature of your urine, or you can use it as an opportunity to play a better bass line.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453295747' post='2958167']
You can either have a massive argument and raise the temperature of your urine, or you can use it as an opportunity to play a better bass line.
[/quote]

Not sure if it's possible to play a 'better' bass line than the original - which after all, is what punters are largely expecting to hear - but I would agree that we must avoid raising the temperature of our urine at all costs. In fact I'm going to start a petition on 38 Degrees, sign up now.

STOP HOT URINE FROM EXACERBATING GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453295747' post='2958167']
It's your job as a bassplayer to make the bass line work with the rest of the band.

I've played in bands where the drummer has trodden all over the bass line with his right foot.

[/quote]

That's fine if it works for you. I can definitely see your point of view.

I can't get away from the fact though that 2 people in the band will then be playing something not quite right in relation to the original. Especially if we are taking it that the bass and drums are the foundation of the song/band. Maybe I have musical OCD!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1453295396' post='2958160']
[/quote]

I think all that's required is a bit of common sense, its normally pretty obvious when a particular bass line (or parts of it) is significant enough to the song to require an exact copy and when it isn't.