Why become a member? ×

Peterbuilt Fretless Jazz... Now arrived :)

CamdenRob

It appears that my Peterbuilt fretless, stack knob, opal yellow jazz is nearly ready :) Just a few more screws to put in, a final setup and she should be on her way to me by next weekend :)

Very pleased with the aesthetic :) Peter says that the color is warmer in real life, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering I took a random punt on the color, I like the cream pickguard too. Passive, Dimarzio jazz pups and strung up with labella flats... I am assured much mwah is to be expected :)

I truth I'm not sure what to do with it... I have a fretless Wal for all my fretless needs, but I do have need of a fretted four, so I may source a block and bound fretted neck for it.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452756326' post='2953093']
I truth I'm not sure what to do with it... I have a fretless Wal for all my fretless needs, but I do have need of a fretted four, so I may source a block and bound fretted neck for it.
[/quote]

Like this one from Allparts maybe?

Although it's £400 and I'd have to get someone to sort the nut out for me...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452756326' post='2953093']
[/quote]

Probably a silly suggestion, but rather than buying a new neck for it, could you ask the chap who is building it to fret it? I'm sure he'd rather that happened than you not find it quite right for your needs.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452764896' post='2953156']
Love it. Love everything about it. Get a fretted Precision neck on it and sell it to me. :D
[/quote]

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1452765534' post='2953165']
Probably a silly suggestion, but rather than buying a new neck for it, could you ask the chap who is building it to fret it? I'm sure he'd rather that happened than you not find it quite right for your needs.
[/quote]

I'm very tempted to put a fretted neck on it, but looking forward to seeing what it sounds like as it is first, as it seems a shame to lose the matching headstock.

These are essentially built from Allparts necks and bodies, then Peter does all the finishing and electrickery bits and bobs. He's more a compiler of parts than a luthier... he has a keen eye for the details though and some of his finishes are wonderful, I like the little touches like the colored thumb rest. He sourced a matching leather strap from somewhere as well which is quite fetching.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1452765534' post='2953165']
...rather than buying a new neck for it, could you ask the chap who is building it to fret it?
[/quote]

That's a much better idea! Then you'd get to keep the spiffy headstock. OK, ask Peter to fret it then send it to my place! :lol:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452765607' post='2953167']
These are essentially built from Allparts necks and bodies, then Peter does all the finishing and electrickery bits and bobs. He's more a compiler of parts than a luthier.
[/quote]

Leo did the same. 'Authentic' Fender-type basses are made from mass-produced parts and assembled on a production line. They are not hand-built from scratch using exotic woods and esoteric high-end electronics. They're very simple! That's the appeal.

And anyway, Allparts necks and bodies are second to none.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452765805' post='2953170']
Leo did the same. 'Authentic' Fender-type basses are made from mass-produced parts and assembled on a production line. They are not hand-built from scratch using exotic woods and esoteric high-end electronics. They're very simple! That's the appeal.

And anyway, Allparts necks and bodies are second to none.
[/quote]

all true that... Looking forward to getting my hands on it :)

Peter sent me a few more pics last night :) Shipping tomorrow, so I shall have the usual battle with UPS later on in the week trying to get them to deliver it somewhere near where I live... Anticipating the usual problems, I contacted them in advance and was very helpfully given the option of picking the bass up from Dartford... very useful that considering I live in North London. :mellow:

Anyway...

Edited by CamdenRob

After an epic battle with UPS I finally have this bass home :)

I will do a full review at the weekend (I am at work for all the daylight hours during the week) when I can get some decent pictures, but in short I'm very pleased with it :)

I've not had a stack knob arrangement on a bass before and I quite like it, but I'm used to EQing each pickup independently on my Wals anyway, so it feels natural. If I'm honest I would prefer a blend and overall volume as opposed to the volume for each pickup, but it's not too difficult to dial in what your looking for :)

I really like the tone with flats and the neck pickup tone rolled off. It gives an almost P bass like plumbyness to the sound but still retains some cut from the bridge pickup tone being set fully open... It's a nice musical cut though, not clanky or harsh. Only thing I find a bit odd about the bass is the reverse tuners... I've not had them before and it just feels like your turning them the wrong way!

There is nothing new or different about the design of this bass, it is a solid jazz bass, well put together from quality parts, with some nice touches to make it stand out a bit.

All in all, with the exchange rate as it is at the moment, around £1250* for a custom colour jazz bass with electronics etc to your own specification, delivered to your door is not bad in my eyes :)

*prices may have changed since I ordered

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1453921688' post='2964306']
That is friggin' sweet! is that an ebanol fretboard? or rosewood?

The nut action looks nice and low. Is it touching the board?
[/quote]

it does look like ebanol in the pics doesn't it... It's standard ebony thought, nothing quite as far out for this build :)

The nut is pretty low, the action is much lower than my other basses, but it's all good as its strung up with flats and there is no buzz or choking, so I'm happy :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1453923823' post='2964338']
Coolest Fender style custom build I've seen in quite some time :)
[/quote]

It is very VERY yellow in real life.... I'm hoping it mellows a bit over time.

Trouble now is, I want a faded sonic blue P bass... and Peter has enough parts for about 5 P basses already in stock,.So it's really just a case of choosing specs and waiting a couple of months... oh dear :blink: .

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1453968058' post='2964676']
Love it.
The contrast between the yellow and the dark fretboard look amazing B)
[/quote]
[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1453969686' post='2964695']
It looks amazing. congratulations mate.
[/quote]

Thanks gents, I'm very pleased with it overall.

Nothing ground breaking in terms of design here, it is a good solid jazz bass :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1453970194' post='2964699']
Looks fantastic!

FYI I just had a bass fretted by Jon Shuker and he was perfect. Well worth shooting him an email.
[/quote]

Yes fretting it was my original intention and as it has the side dots in the correct position for frets I was going to look into it.

I didn't expect it to sound as good as it does though and as a result I have sold my Wal fretless (having a fretless sixer made at the moment) and this will serve as my fretless whilst I wait 37 years for the new Wal to be built...

I am keeping an eye out for a suitable fretted neck in the classifieds, just to give it a go fretted anyway :) I'm not convinced the bass will be as good fretted. It has a tone very similar to an 84 jazz I had for a while and is very mid focused and growly... I prefer my fretted basses a bit more scooped and punchy.