Why become a member? ×

Lemmium

Dandelion

[quote name='basexperience' timestamp='1452103119' post='2946456']
Good call Lojo. Lemmy was utterly sick of telling people they weren't a metal band!
[/quote]

He may not have described them as such but Metal wasn't around when they started.

Bands like Kiss, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motörhead where just Rock bands. By the 80s though, they were what we now call metal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_British_Heavy_Metal

Edited by TimR

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452105024' post='2946493']
Why not pastoriusum after Jaco ? Arguably more inspirational to many, and more inovative.
[/quote]

I'm not sure he was a mythical character. Which is one of the criteria for naming elements.

The only modern mythical characters I can think of are either Lemmy or Chuck Norris.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/growing-old-disgracefully-lemmy-on-heartbreak-ageing-and-his-penchant-for-nazi-memorabilia-2142747.html

""We were not heavy metal," he snaps. "We were a rock'n'roll band. Still are. Everyone always describes us as heavy metal even when I tell them otherwise. Why won't people listen?""

I rest my case. Uninformed? The man himself said it angrily in 2010!

[quote name='basexperience' timestamp='1452107092' post='2946535']
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/growing-old-disgracefully-lemmy-on-heartbreak-ageing-and-his-penchant-for-nazi-memorabilia-2142747.html

""We were not heavy metal," he snaps. "We were a rock'n'roll band. Still are. Everyone always describes us as heavy metal even when I tell them otherwise. Why won't people listen?""

I rest my case. Uninformed? The man himself said it angrily in 2010!
[/quote]

Just sometimes, when everyone is telling you something, you should just take a moment to wonder if they might just have a point.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452103489' post='2946465']
He may not have described them as such but Metal wasn't around when they started.

Bands like Kiss, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motörhead where just Rock bands. By the 80s though, they were what we now call metal.

[/quote]

Is this another of those "you had to be there" topics?

Back in the days when I shared a bedroom with Bruce Dickinson (no, really, I did) and one of my favourite albums was Sad Wings Of Destiny, I don't remember us all sitting around wondering what to call this stuff.

This was 1979 into 1980, maybe 1981. I was in my early 20s and I was firmly in the "it's heavy rock, man" camp. Several of my then flatmates would routinely argue "don't you get it, this is heavy metal mate".

The idea that no one called this heavy metal until the 80s is ludicrous.

Maybe you had to be there after all ...

And there I was relieved to be thinking that all the furore over the guy had died down.

I sat at my laptop and screamed last week, just after informing everyone that if I see anyone else mention Lemmy on Facebook or anywhere else then I'm going to scream. I said I would, so I did.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452110112' post='2946586']

Back in the days when I shared a bedroom with Bruce Dickinson (no, really, I did) and one of my favourite albums was Sad Wings Of Destiny, I don't remember us all sitting around wondering what to call this stuff.

This was 1979 into 1980, maybe 1981. I was in my early 20s and I was firmly in the "it's heavy rock, man" camp. Several of my then flatmates would routinely argue "don't you get it, this is heavy metal mate".

[/quote]

Odd blip in 1945 (wonder why?). In slow decline now.

[url="https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=heavy+metal&year_start=1920&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cheavy%20metal%3B%2Cc0"]https://books.google...20metal%3B%2Cc0[/url]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452110112' post='2946586']

[/quote]

Motörhead were formed in 1975. I'm fairly sure 1980 was the 80s? I think you're splitting hairs.

My comment was "by the 80s", not "it wasn't until the 80s".

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452110980' post='2946609']
The words 'heavy metal' are to be found in the lyrics of Steppenwolf's 'Born To Be Wild' (1968).
[/quote]

They are indeed. But which band were the first to call themselves a heavy metal band? It was an evolution, you can go back and say Jimi Hendrix and Led Zepplin were heavy metal, but that's retrospective. They just thought they were rock bands. The term hadn't been coined yet.

The fact that pfretrock was arguing in his bedsit with Bruce and his mates demonstrates that quite well.

Edited by TimR