Why become a member? ×

Location Location Location
£10000000

Shonks

To the moderators of this excellent site:

Forgive for saying so, and forgive me if its been said previously, but don't you think it should be mandatory for sellers to clearly state the location of an item that's for sale?
Price is mandatory and equally important to all parties is the location.

If no location is mentioned, as is often the case, going to the sellers profile can be equally frustrating, and a bit questionable, when there's little no information other than a username.
In fact I'm surprised a site such as this doesn't insist on the location information in the profile to begin with, seeing as how large sums of money or valuable instruments are be traded.

Still a great site nevertheless

Shonks

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1452083461' post='2946170']
Shonks, I've moved this to GD.

For what it's worth, I think sellers should put a location, particularly if it is collection only. My feeling is that it should not be mandatory though.
[/quote]posted in the wrong forum....apologies

If you're on the full website is shows peoples locations on the left hand side of their post under their username..

But like me, I use basschat quite alot on mobile which doesn't support this feature! - and due to that I agree it should be mandatory, surely there's no harm in asking the seller to require more information when posting an advert :rolleyes:

[quote name='aLxbass' timestamp='1452083956' post='2946180']
If you're on the full website is shows peoples locations on the left hand side of their post under their username..

[/quote]only if they've input the info in their profile which isn't always the case, even gary mac (a couple of posts above), one of the mods, has put his location as 'not up north'

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1452084160' post='2946183']
only if they've input the info in their profile which isn't always the case, even gary mac (a couple of posts above), one of the mods, has put his location as 'not up north'
[/quote]

Indeed, Sorry - Great point! :)

• 1 month later...

I'm just wondering how this could, in any case, be made mandatory. There's absolutely no provision in forum software for such, and even if a field were to be filled in before accepting an ad, there's no way of checking that it's not 'UK' or 'Poland' entered there. Folks wishing to sell would be best advised to create the best, most informative and attractive ads possible; it's in their interest. Why don't they, some of 'em..? Dunno; I'd just move on to a more informative ad and not buy. Darwin will sort out the rest, maybe..?
Much more worrying to me is the enormous number of Open ads from over a year ago with no movement, ever. Sold..? On hold..? OP died..? Who knows..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457121613' post='2995678']
Folks wishing to sell would be best advised to create the best, most informative and attractive ads possible; it's in their interest. Why don't they, some of 'em..? Dunno; I'd just move on to a more informative ad and not buy. Darwin will sort out the rest, maybe..?
[/quote]yep... it is nuts, specially selling an instrument. Personally, I'm not into buying an instrument new or used without trying it first. Even the big reputable brands are inconsistent, that's the nature of the beast.
... even a proximity of the location gives us a clue to whether it's even worth considering.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1452083461' post='2946170']
Shonks, I've moved this to GD.

For what it's worth, I think sellers should put a location, particularly if it is collection only. My feeling is that it should not be mandatory though.
[/quote]

my thoughts too.

If I want/need to know the location, I ask. No biggie.

If a seller fails to give data that I consider important (such as pictures :rolleyes: ) and I'm not that interested in the item, I pass, their loss. If I am interested, I ask when I make first contact. I'd avoid making rules when not necessary.

I don't think that it should be mandatory to have the member's location next to their avatar but it's not the first time I've seen an ad and someone has asked if they'd be able to collect and the seller has then gone on to say that they are in mainland Europe somewhere and the member asking the question is in the UK.

I've done several deals with members in Mainland Europe and only had one problem ever which was resolved fairly quickly so I don't have a problem dealing with members that far away from me but it would be useful for the seller to reveal a rough location in their advert. I don't need their actual address, just roughly where they are to find out if trying it, meeting up or whatever is possible.

At the end of the day if there are no pictures and no location then I won't bother going back into the advert again. I always try to give as much info as possible when selling something and invite questions, not that I can answer all of them, but if I can't then someone on the forum is bound to know the answer.

Anyway I'm starting to waffle now but you get the jist.