Why become a member? ×

Old Front Door and a Shelf....

Jabba_the_gut

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1454970883' post='2974766']
I think when doing a bit of wood that small, by hand is the best option. When i made a wooden purpleheart bridge, even filing hard made some parts come off. Nice and steady now.
[/quote]

Not that I'm an expert, but the way I'd probably do it is make an undersized template, then use a guide bush and a very small (e.g 3-4mm) straight cutter and cut almost all the way through, then cut the slot, then cut the last mm or so with a small saw or knife, finishing up with a sanding block.

Unfortunately I've had similar experiences with larger bearing cutters and small pieces, resulting in them catching and getting destroyed, or worse getting snagged and launched like a small wooden projectile :o

Excellent build, thanks for sharing!

Cheers for the comments and suggestions. I've made two more bridges that are ready to cut to shape - but this time I'll try it on some scraps first!! I have a 6mm diameter template cutter that I will try as it may be less aggressive, as suggested. I might also try with a normal cutter but use several passes to achieve the cut depth around the edge. I'll post the results oh here - good or bad!!

Hi, Jabba

What is it you are using the router for? Just the outline shape? If so, then once you have the outline rough cut in the pic above, I would just use files and sanding blocks - it won't take very long and much safer (for the item and your appendages). I wouldn't use a router personally on a small item... they are significantly stronger and more vicious than a small piece of wood ever could be

Ignore me if I've got the wrong end of the mahogany.... :rolleyes:

Andy

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1454448167' post='2969921']
Quite agree regarding the Chinese hardware - I've found this to be a lottery.
[/quote]

I find all this sort of craftsman stuff is a lottery ... when I try this stuff, it costs me money and I never seem to win anything.

On the other hand, watching someone else doing it properly (like here) is hugely rewarding. :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1455191661' post='2976812']
I find all this sort of craftsman stuff is a lottery ... when I try this stuff, it costs me money and I never seem to win anything.

On the other hand, watching someone else doing it properly (like here) is hugely rewarding. :D
[/quote]
This ^ If this was me, I'd still be trying to get all 4 boards of the body straight enough to touch from end to end with no light between them. :D

Had a second go at the bridge - much better results this time (i.e. it is still in one piece!!).

I used my router again for this but changed the way I clamped it and that has worked nicely. I've still got to do a bit more work on it but quite pleased do far. I'm actually thinking of making another bridge to put on a fretless bass (the first bass I ever made that gave me the bug for this building lark!!). I've got the start of the bridge using the second piece I prepared in case this went wrong.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

I think I had the same metal musicman type bridge that you have on my build... is it the one with the insets for the 2 side bolts?
If so it's not bad but the 3 screws you get with it are made of butter. Get different screws to install it! (I learned the hard way)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1455394932' post='2978836']
I think I had the same metal musicman type bridge that you have on my build... is it the one with the insets for the 2 side bolts?
If so it's not bad but the 3 screws you get with it are made of butter. Get different screws to install it! (I learned the hard way)
[/quote]

Yep, that's the one. Thanks for the advice - I'll make sure I use some decent screws!!

I made the second bridge with the idea of fitting this to the first bass I ever made which currently has a Schaller 2000 bridge on it. I reshaped the wooden bridge a little to match the body shape - I think this would look quite nice. No quite sure how to amend the electronics for this but that's for another time!!

Still got a little work to do on both piezo bridges but really pleased with how they turned out especially after the first attempt!! Ultimately it just came down to holding the work piece more securely and not trying to take too much off in one go.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Only just caught up with the latest on this. That is soooooo impressive, Jabba!

Blast! That means I've got to raise my own game AGAIN!!! Those wretched Jabba's....can't hold the blighters down!!!!! OK - I'm going to add a sixteenth string on my 15 string travel hybrid acoustic ... no, maybe it'd better be seventeen.....

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1455792489' post='2982424']
Do me a 5 string version Jab will ya ?! ;)
[/quote]

I've got a 5 string acoustic bass and the saddle is the same length so shouldn't be too difficult to follow the dimensions. I might be able to look at this in a few weeks depending on how busy I am or diy my wife finds for me(!!) - will let you know. What shape are you thinking?

No it's fine Jabba thanks........ you've got more than enough to be getting on with ;) .
I was thinking of a wee floating job to allow me a degree of intonation adjustment, there was a big difference on my last 5 string so i'd worry about settling on a fixed bridge.
Have you had any thoughts on the electrics...mixing the piezo/mags ?

Ian

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1456251510' post='2987122']
As a coincidence yesterday i was looking at this: [url="http://noll-electronic.de/bass-electronics/mixpot/"]http://noll-electron...tronics/mixpot/[/url]

May do the trick.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link - looks quite interesting and very compact.

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1456219214' post='2986641']
No it's fine Jabba thanks........ you've got more than enough to be getting on with ;) .
I was thinking of a wee floating job to allow me a degree of intonation adjustment, there was a big difference on my last 5 string so i'd worry about settling on a fixed bridge.
Have you had any thoughts on the electrics...mixing the piezo/mags ?

Ian
[/quote]

No worries! But what you said about adjustment has got me thinking about another possibility. That's the trouble with this - too many ideas and not enough time!!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1456251510' post='2987122']
As a coincidence yesterday i was looking at this: [url="http://noll-electronic.de/bass-electronics/mixpot/"]http://noll-electron...tronics/mixpot/[/url]

May do the trick.
[/quote]

I've looked and found a couple of things that may be of interest for this type of set-up. John East does a module that sounds like it would do the job 'MPM-01' but I've also found a website '[url="http://www.cafewalter.com/cafewalter/fetpre/index.htm"]Cafe Walter[/url]' that has a piezo circuit.

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1456257108' post='2987209']

I've looked and found a couple of things that may be of interest for this type of set-up. John East does a module that sounds like it would do the job 'MPM-01' but I've also found a website '[url="http://www.cafewalter.com/cafewalter/fetpre/index.htm"]Cafe Walter[/url]' that has a piezo circuit.
[/quote]Walter Harley of Cafe Walter is a great guy. Email him saying what you are trying to do and he will advise on any mods to that circuit. Hi whole site is worth a read.

Edited by Chienmortbb

• 3 weeks later...