Why become a member? ×

Water Rats Studio in Woking. What on earth is that noise coming from the next room?

Old Horse Murphy

Unbelievable. We had a slot booked at the Water Rats Studio in Woking this afternoon and turned up as usual.

Some "idiot" had parked his Ford Transit van across the entrance and when we got in to the corridor, it was packed with flight cases etc. "Jeez, what idiot brings all this gear along to a Rehearsal studio?" I commented to our singer.

With that, Rick Buckler comes walking out of one of the rooms and apologises for all the kit and promises to move it ASAP. "No worries Rick. It's fine where it is" I stutter, offering a shaky handshake.

We chat briefly. What a fantastic guy and incredibly down to earth. Who walks round the corner? Only Bruce Foxton!!!!!!

More handshakes. They're rehearsing before a From The Jam gig in Jersey next week followed by a US Promo Tour. They both still live in the local area and use the studios regularly. I had a look at his gear and his main bass was a black/white maple P Bass with a Badass. His back up was one of those smi acoustic basses that he endorses (can't remember the make). The noise coming from their sudio when the go going was amazing and I think I spent more time lsitening to them than actually rehearsing myself.

We tell them we do a few Jam numbers in our set and I ask Bruce why he wrote such difficult bloody bass parts!. We go our separate ways, but an hour later while we're in the middle of David Watts, the door opens and there they are watching us. I nearly died.

They say never meet your heroes but they were 2 of the nicest, easiest going guys I've met and obliged in a few pictures, which my mate duly took of me and the guys. As soon as he emails them, I'll post them on here.

What a day!! They're playing Hammersmith on 22nd December and I'll book my tickets immediately.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I would have filled my pants if I'd been in the middle of a Jam song only to find that two of them were standing there watching. Thanks for the heads-up on the Hammersmith gig as well.

Slightly OT, but how are the Water Rats Studios? I've been looking at local rehearsal rooms and the info on their website looks promising, but it'd be interesting to hear from someone who has actually used them. Although I guess if they're good enough for the Jam, they'll be good enough for a rank amateur like me :)

[quote name='JoeS' post='283340' date='Sep 13 2008, 08:36 PM']I would have filled my pants if I'd been in the middle of a Jam song only to find that two of them were standing there watching. Thanks for the heads-up on the Hammersmith gig as well.

Slightly OT, but how are the Water Rats Studios? I've been looking at local rehearsal rooms and the info on their website looks promising, but it'd be interesting to hear from someone who has actually used them. Although I guess if they're good enough for the Jam, they'll be good enough for a rank amateur like me :)[/quote]
They're very good actually. There's only 4 rooms there, but the kit is good, they're well appointed and the staff are really friendly.

Also, they don't smell like a sweaty jockstrap!!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='283332' date='Sep 13 2008, 08:22 PM']an hour later while we're in the middle of David Watts, the door opens and there they are watching us. I nearly died.[/quote]
Haha...did the fingers turn to jelly? Did he offer any tips?

They sound like really nice guys. Bet he wasn't using that Peavey-asuarus stack there though - it's terrible!

I like WaterRat, it's a bit grubby but Jayne who runs it is really friendly. We use [url="http://www.silenthillstudio.com/"]Silent Hill[/url] in Guildford a lot because it's a better location for us. Jules who runs that is a really nice guy too and it's a bit newer.

[quote name='KevB' post='285004' date='Sep 16 2008, 01:53 PM']Was Bruce OK? A mate saw them a couple of years back and he said one of the roadies had to put the bass on Bruce and wondered if he'd had some sort of injury or illness, apparently played OK once it was in place though.[/quote]

He actually looked in good shape and had just come back from holiday. Both him and Rick for 50-somethings look as if they take good care of themselves.

Funny though, when I went in to their Rehearsal Room, Bruce was sitting there re-stringing his old black and white P Bass. I was a little disappointed that he did use 100 year old strings like me :)

That said, I guess new strings and all that extra zing are what gives him his sound.

He also had that semi-acoustic (can't remember the make) that he endorses at the moment. It was quite retro looking but looked huge!! Both of the guys are quite small, so it must look like he's got a lawnmower strapped round his neck when he plays it.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy