Why become a member? ×

Metal Sound??

hrl_damo

Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum, been reading for a while just never got round to registering.

I play bass in a band called Hope Remains Lost in Bristol (www.myspace.com/hoperemainslost). Basically my set up is Warwick Thumb BO bass, through Ashdown Superfly bass amp and 1 x Ashdown MAG 4x8 Deep Cab and 1 x Ashdown MAG 1x15 Deep Cab. I also ahve a Behringer Rack Tuner and BOSS Studio Effects rack unit. I also have a BOSS OC-3 Super Octave Pedal and and Ashdown Drive Plus Pedal.

This gives me a good growly sound but I just wondered how I have give the sound a bit more beef...without the superfly overdriving too much?

Extra gear or maybe just different setting, what do we think guys and gals?

Cheerz
Damien :)

[quote name='lwtait' post='283321' date='Sep 13 2008, 07:52 PM']that humbuckers post is right- a musicman style pickup will beefen* out your sound.

*am i allowed to make words up in order to answer his question?[/quote]

Beefen....tis a good word.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='283346' date='Sep 13 2008, 08:55 PM']Think Stingray HH or Warwick $$ or Sandberg I reckon. Sandberg P with a Humbucker...you could not get more phat than that[/quote]

+1 to the sandberg. i havent played one, but my taitycaster is a P/MM configuration and that sounds "beefy"

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='283390' date='Sep 13 2008, 10:24 PM']Yo, local, check my band myspace on my sig, Sansampis the main thing in my sound I guess. Huge head and lots of cabs otherwise, a 1x15 that is very large and deep and a 4x10 on top.[/quote]

Yo, Dude just looked on your myspace for your band!! You use my Ashdown bass cabs with your head amp at RS Studios! Look after em ay! lol

Nice sound by the way!

I have played metal and am also a Warwick Thumb BO owner and find that it's a great source of growly goodness.

From your setup I would recommend trying out a few different combinations of speakers. I can't imagine a 4x8 cab moving sufficient air for a metal band. For the best setup you'll want something with some moving mass to make the floor shake. Whether that be an 8x10, 4x10, 2x15 really depends on your sound or where you'd like to sit in the mix.

Hey there.

(i havnt a clue what sort or budget you're looking at here!)

A bass with humbuckers (MM or otherwise. EMG DCs will certainly do the job) is always a sound idea.

when i trialled an ashdown rig, i found it didnt have any guts when really going for it (IMHO). i would personally recommend either Mesa Engineering (Big Block 750 or Titan V12. stunning metal sound with the valve overdrive), Epifani or SWR sound equipment.

The cabs youve got seem a little small? (speaker size wise) for the sound you're looking for. Bigger cabs (4x10 + a 1x15, or an 8x10) will do alot for adding depth to the sound.

The sansamp BDDI pedal is a good one to try if youre looking at less expensive alternatives. you might also want to try the MXR DI+ preamp/bass overdrive.

Try whatever you can get your hands on!