Why become a member? ×

Decisions, decisions

JTUK

I've been mulling this over for a while now but I would like a new bass and thought I'd put it out there for a few opinions.

I currently have 2 Sei J5's and really like them.

One is a classic VIntage vibe with RW board and Jazz neck
and the other is Maple which does Marcus Miller quite well.
This bass would probably go at some point once the new bass is bedded in..

Both have very nice attention to detail with regards to wood which is a nice dressy touch
I'd want to keep.

So, my ideal bass would be

Jazz, 5 string, 3 tsb over a nice grain Ash body.
RW neck on a flamed neck, block and bound.
The neck would be a P-bass at the nut.

Now I know Martin Petersen can do this but I'd be waiting a year plus, most probably, which is the only thing that really makes me look for options.

So,
1, Custom Sei as above. Looking at upto £3k I expect.
2, Avella Coppolo S/H..as and when they crop up and take the spec as is.
No problem with that..if I like it, I like it, same sort of money and will probably hold value
best.
3 Fender American deluxe J5 ...£1100 S/H or there are some very keen new prices out there
from GAK etc.
4 Bitza from a custom maker who can do spec 1 and the quality wont be a problem but the
neck and body plus paint will probably be well north of £1k -which is fine as far as quality goes,
but how would I sell a bitza..which out losing too much...?

So, ... what do you think?

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1449480457' post='2923763']
To be honest, you know what you want and there is only one man who can do it :)

When it arrives the years buildtime will be instantly forgotten and you'll have what you want, rather than a compromise.
[/quote]

Yes... but when I want it..I want it sooner.. :lol:

Check out Marusczyk (Elwood is their Jazz style model), they are getting very popular with people on here at the moment - you can get a custom build in a quick turnaround time a [b]lot [/b]cheaper than the alternatives:

[url="http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/maruszczyk-instruments/"]http://www.public-pe...yk-instruments/[/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

I think I`d be looking at the Fender Deluxe Jazz 5, and also be checking it out from overseas. Even with import/postage it will work out better than what you can get over here - not far from the resell value if you ever decide to move it on in fact.

If you already have two Sei basses and you seem really happy with them in general, I would say go for a custom built Sei. A year is a long time to wait but as someone else said, it will be worth it.

I was desperately underwhelmed by the Alleva Coppolo I played for what it cost even secondhand, whereas I was in awe of the Sei Jazz I once played but that is of course just personal preference.

I have owned some beautiful basses over the years but I have wanted a Sei Jazz for the past 15 years so I am slightly biased. :D

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1449480910' post='2923773']
Check out Marusczyk (Elwood is their Jazz style model), they are getting very popular with people on here at the moment - you can get a custom build in a quick turnaround time a [b]lot [/b]cheaper than the alternatives:

[url="http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/maruszczyk-instruments/"]http://www.public-pe...yk-instruments/[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, been following that quite closely. I'd just have to see the work up close.
Don't mean anything other than I just need to see one and hear one.

I couldn't go blind on that,

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1449481073' post='2923780']
I think I`d be looking at the Fender Deluxe Jazz 5, and also be checking it out from overseas. Even with import/postage it will work out better than what you can get over here - not far from the resell value if you ever decide to move it on in fact.
[/quote]

I've tried one recently but not what I wanted .. might rethink this option tho with another example

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449481231' post='2923785']
I know, I know.. I'm so predicable. [url="http://public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/5-string/432-elwood-5p-3-tone-sunburst-custom110300"]But something like this[/url]?

All for less than 800 quid, or maybe a bit more if you want something exactly to your spec.

[/quote] Looks great, ... I need to know where it stands against an AM Deluxe..as the SH prioce of those
are a bit more than the new price of these..??

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1449487967' post='2923874']
If you already have two Sei basses and you seem really happy with them in general, I would say go for a custom built Sei. A year is a long time to wait but as someone else said, it will be worth it.

I was desperately underwhelmed by the Alleva Coppolo I played for what it cost even secondhand, whereas I was in awe of the Sei Jazz I once played but that is of course just personal preference.

I have owned some beautiful basses over the years but I have wanted a Sei Jazz for the past 15 years so I am slightly biased. :D
[/quote]

Me too.... I really like them and Martin has a great eye so it would also be a beautiful bass as well.
I know this is the option really...but FFS...A year..??? :lol:

I think I'll write to him and see what his build time is..?

I could put a deposit down..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449490144' post='2923911']
Looks great, ... I need to know where it stands against an AM Deluxe..
[/quote]

Chalk and cheese... I bought an Am Deluxe and sent it back. It felt tin-pot compared to the Jake.

Both my Jakes are proper luthier-built quality. I can't fault them, or the other Jake I've tried.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449490473' post='2923913']
Chalk and cheese... I bought an Am Deluxe and sent it back. It felt tin-pot compared to the Jake.

The my Jakes are proper luthier-built quality. I can't fault them, or the other Jake I've tried.
[/quote]

That is a beauty...and I'm glad you think think they are chalk and cheese.
I'm probably looking for the same.

Maybe I'd rethink the pickups and pots..and go active ..? More food for thought.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449490299' post='2923912']
Me too.... I really like them and Martin has a great eye so it would also be a beautiful bass as well.
I know this is the option really...but FFS...A year..??? :lol:

I think I'll write to him and see what his build time is..?

I could put a deposit down..??
[/quote]

I would go mental waiting for a year to be honest, when I make a decision I can't wait, it needs to happen as soon as possible, which is why I would probably seek out a secondhand Sei if I got the money together. Im so impatient.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1449493591' post='2923959']
I would go mental waiting for a year to be honest, when I make a decision I can't wait, it needs to happen as soon as possible, which is why I would probably seek out a secondhand Sei if I got the money together. Im so impatient.
[/quote]

Understand this totally...and of course, things change etc...
but............. I've written to Sei about build times and costs.

So, I've started putting a bit more impetus into the thought.

Next step are to check out the Jake type basses, look out for AC
and see a Fender Am Deluxe again.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1449578132' post='2924774']
The gallery has a fair few secondhand Sei's in I think at this moment according to the last Facebook post they put up.
[/quote]

I will check itg again but I didn't see any J5's when I last looked

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449576411' post='2924747']
Maybe, I should buy an interim bass... and sell it when the Sei is complete..??
[/quote]

This is what I did a couple of weeks back whilst waiting for my Wal fretless sixer to be built... was a bad idea.

The Roscoe I bought is a great bass, but it's not a Wal and doesn't sound or play like one... and therefore I just end up feeling disapointed with it when I pick it up.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449490473' post='2923913']

Both my Jakes are proper luthier-built quality. I can't fault them, or the other Jake I've tried.
[/quote]

Agree about Deluxe Fenders, quite surprised to see one on your list JT. Sounds like you've got a touch of GAS that needs putting out quick, put a deposit on something decent. Looks like WoT's new squeezes are getting the nod, and you can get your spec and not Fender's?

The Deluxe J5 is cheaper than the US Standard Fenders at the moment. I've not played one and am intrigued by them. But would probably look to Sandberg and Maruszczyk at that price point. I just saw Bass Direct have a nice Sunburst Xotic and a Lull J5 too. My next bass will be an active J5 and at the moment I can't look last Maruszczyk, for the money they look pretty well unbeatable. Given the custom options and that no one seems to say a bad word of them...