Why become a member? ×

Bored of the Trace sound....

bigevilman

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1449479642' post='2923756']
Depends on the model and obviously what sound you're after. For an ABM – I always start with the following, and make small adjustments to compensate for the room
Disable the “shape” button (button pressed in) and the compressor (if there is one).
Bass @ 10oclock
Mid: @ 12oclock
Treble @ 2 oclock
Bump the all the sliders very very slightly
A tiny bit of sub octave (just because its there)
Healthy amount of gain and drive.
Crank it up and rock out.
[/quote]

Ta. I'll give that a go. I'm after the standard pre-shape tone on the TE. Nearest I got so far with the ABM was with the shape button engaged then cut the bass and upper mids but it was still wrong somehow.

The preshapes don't eliminate the graphic, it's possible to use them both together. In my set up I've found that the sound I like best uses elements of the EQ from the Bassattack pedal, the TE online preshape and online graphic (plus a bit of built in compression). I've tried removing one or more of these features, assuming that I could compensate with the other parts but it never seems to sound quite as good to me.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1449480961' post='2923777']
Most of the above, but I also found that boosting the 180hz slider gave me some nice low mid punch without low end being overbearing. I do something similar with my Trace heads.
[/quote]

Something similar too, but a touch more middle and no sub octave. Cutting the bass was a big improvement.

I have had Trace Elliot stuff for years. The V6 is great. I have SMX head as well which is good, but if you are into the natural, gritty valve amp sound without a pedal you are best looking elsewhere, or just buying a pedal and turning off the pre shapes.

I had one of the original Series 6 1215 200W combos when they first came out. I loved that amp and it was my workhorse for nigh on 20 years until it semi-died one night at a wedding gig after I toppled it off the trolley I was lugging it on...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1449477444' post='2923732']
How do you eq your Ashdown? I bought one here recently but am struggling to set it up to how I like.
[/quote]
I use the following method to get a good sound from an Ashdown:[list=1]
[*]Switch it off.
[*]Plug into pretty much anything else.
[/list]

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :lol: