Why become a member? ×

iPad for panto?

bassist_lewis

I'm playing in the pit for a panto in December. The MD has sent me the parts in an email and said I'll need to print them off but I have an iPad with ForScore so in my mind that seems a much easier way to read through the show and to save a small tree (or a bush) in the process. However, I've never played a show with my iPad so I wondered if anyone out there had and if they'd recommend it.
Thanks

I use the iPad with OnSong for music at church. Nothing as complicated as a score but using a bluetooth pedal to page turn and scroll up and down is a real boon - I'd say pretty much essential. If you invest in something like an AirTurn pedal I doubt that you would regret it!

I think an Airturn is about £40 from Thomann.
If you go the paper route there is an art to turning pages without dropping a beat so to speak. You either need to read ahead and turn earlier, tape your parts together accordingly or hammer-on hard whilst turning with your right han! Believe me, you'll be amazed how quickly you can turn a page after a bit of practice.
It's always good to know what is over the page if you miss the page turn though. Yup, done that plenty of times 😀

Edited by chardbass

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1448320149' post='2914524']
I use the iPad with OnSong for music at church. Nothing as complicated as a score but using a bluetooth pedal to page turn and scroll up and down is a real boon - I'd say pretty much essential. If you invest in something like an AirTurn pedal I doubt that you would regret it!
[/quote]

The Airturn is the best option for portability and price but it only works with iPad 3 and above, I have an iPad 2 so it's off the cards. Everything else is £65+ and bulky (by comparison)

A few things to take into account.
The charts you have been sent, could possibly need pencil markings
when you turn up to rehearsals, things can change:
Cuts, amendments, notes need changing, repeats added or taken away,
dynamic markings etc. Plus if something goes wrong up on stage,
the MD might need you to jump to a new section/bar number,
or indeed go back.

Depending on what show or panto, the issue of the iPad glowing
in really dark scenes. It's not unheard of for directors, producers or
lighting teams to place Blue gel over music stand lights.

If you get lost on a paper score, there are visual landmarks and cues that can get you back on track,
with iPads you are stuffed really. What about any charts with DC or DS al Coda?
Charts with repeat bars going BACK to the page before? - It all needs checking out in depth before hand.

I have used an iPad on gigs for chord charts if needed, and that works fine,
but in a Pit, I would feel uneasy about things going wrong.

Good luck with the show.

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1448353060' post='2914599']
A few things to take into account.
The charts you have been sent, could possibly need pencil markings
when you turn up to rehearsals, things can change:
Cuts, amendments, notes need changing, repeats added or taken away,
dynamic markings etc. Plus if something goes wrong up on stage,
the MD might need you to jump to a new section/bar number,
or indeed go back.

Depending on what show or panto, the issue of the iPad glowing
in really dark scenes. It's not unheard of for directors, producers or
lighting teams to place Blue gel over music stand lights.

If you get lost on a paper score, there are visual landmarks and cues that can get you back on track,
with iPads you are stuffed really. What about any charts with DC or DS al Coda?
Charts with repeat bars going BACK to the page before? - It all needs checking out in depth before hand.

I have used an iPad on gigs for chord charts if needed, and that works fine,
but in a Pit, I would feel uneasy about things going wrong.

Good luck with the show.
[/quote]
Pencil markings are no problem with most of the good softwares out there (I use mobilesheets for most of the function work, which supports tab and chords, and changing of them on the fly,but not tried for dots.) You should be able to save them between shows

Good points on the codas/repeats/etc

+1 for a pedal

I would just print out the score and create some sellotaped parts for those that are needing awkward page turns

ForScore is quite easy to mark up and page turning is easy with a pedal such as PageFlip. I have found it much easier to find my place in rehearsals than with paper. It is more technology to go wrong though and those nice easy toe taps seemed - for me - to miss the spot under pressure. Any slight delay in the Bluetooth response would seem like an eternity and Iwould end up double clicking. So for real gigs I chickened out and went back to paper with the iPad in reserve for unexpected number calls.

Lowdown makes very valid points (as ever)
You can't beat old-school dots for speed etc- Pantos always evolve throughout the run.
You can mark things up in ForScore- and I have- but you'll never beat the speed of a 2B pencil on paper.

A comedy IPad/Airturn moment for me was stepping on my OC2 instead of the Airturn and getting a blistering Pino/Earth Song octave bass on a page turn :-)