Why become a member? ×

what's the future like for bass has it all been done?

zawinul

I mean in terms of styles we've had finger style, funk, slap, reggae, fretless, metal, tapping (which I hate!!)

to be honest I'm not hearing much innovation around but maybe that's just the inherent limitation of a 4 stringed instrument. ..

Stuff done on 6,7,8 strings also doesn't interest me it just sounds like bassists may as well play guitar

whats the future? are we just doomed to play the great bass lines of the past?

Personally for me the only answer is to make the bass sound as unlike a bass as possible or play a synth!

Am I just bored of the bass?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447790238' post='2910453']
The bass guitar is just an instrument... just as a pencil is a pencil, lack of development in pencil and paper technology hasn't stopped people coming up with interesting new poems, novels, dramas, sketches, drawings...
[/quote]you just answered your own point. the electric bass is a vehicle for your musical creation. as trivial as it sounds, you can't over engineer a screw driver.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1447790950' post='2910471']
you just answered my point. the electric bass is a vehicle for your musical creation. as trivial as it sounds, you can't over engineer a screw driver.
[/quote]

Yes! I misunderstood your post initially. Must be time for my meds... and it is. ;)

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1447790697' post='2910466']
If we all stuck to playing bass lines on a four string then nothing would happen. Mind you, having said that, Michael Mannring does do quite a lot with a four string. Open your horizons. And as JapanAxe said.
[/quote]

No future for the cello, viola or violin then. I don't suppose much can happen with pianos until they get more than 88 keys.

I mean don;t get me wrong i love the bass and certain tracks get my juices flowing... this for example

[url="http://jazztimes.com/articles/170475-excusive-premiere-weather-report-s-teen-town"]http://jazztimes.com...ort-s-teen-town[/url]

maybe its me... I'm just not feeling very innovative right now.... right more pedals....

Edited by zawinul

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447793621' post='2910516']
maybe its me... I'm just not feeling very innovative right now.... right more pedals....
[/quote]

Ah. That's a different matter. Maybe it's just where you are at the moment. Couple of years ago I became fed up with playing in bands and sessions. That wasn't inspiring me so I packed in the folk session and jazz band I had been involved with for many years each. Two years on and I have found a new direction and very happy with where I am now. Plenty of inspiration. Perhaps just keep looking and when the time is right something will come your way.

Seven string ukulele is the way forwards :D

Surely we don't know the 'next big thing'.

Before funk nobody had heard funk etc.

Although reading a lot of posts on here it would seem a lot of folks are too intolerant of new music to allow the next big thing to happen.

I imagine when every new style appeared on the scene the 'town elders' said it would never catch on, it's not like music was in our day.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447797319' post='2910574']
yes exactly it is wonderful. .. I think its jot the instrument its more my lack of inspiration in ME!
[/quote]
[i]You [/i]have [i]unlimited potential[/i]....whats holding you back?

Start by [i]doing whats necessary[/i]; then [i]do whats possible[/i]; and suddenly [i]you are doing the impossible![/i]

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447789546' post='2910440']
are we just doomed to play the great bass lines of the past?
[/quote]

No.

There are infinite possibilities contained within the notes on a bass and the order, speed, spacing, dynamics, techniques etc etc with which one chooses to play them. Every time you pick up the bass there is the possibility of playing something that has never been done before. This is why I'm still excited about playing after 35 years.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447789546' post='2910440']
are we just doomed to play the great bass lines of the past?
[/quote]

I'd like to think I'm playing great bass lines of the present, and great bass lines of the future will issue forth as and when the inspiration hits me :)

Side note: I think it's high time I gave myself a bit of credit - it is not helpful for me to dismiss or play down what I have created. Thanks for helping me realise this. It still feels wrong (even un-bassplayerish), but hey ho, no-one will take me seriously if I keep being all self deprecating "I do OK" and "I can play a tune or two". I AM proud of some of the things I've come up with and damnit I'm going to keep coming up with more stuff!

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1447843431' post='2910813']
I'd like to think I'm playing great bass lines of the present, and great bass lines of the future will issue forth as and when the inspiration hits me :)

Side note: I think it's high time I gave myself a bit of credit - it is not helpful for me to dismiss or play down what I have created. Thanks for helping me realise this. It still feels wrong (even un-bassplayerish), but hey ho, no-one will take me seriously if I keep being all self deprecating "I do OK" and "I can play a tune or two". I AM proud of some of the things I've come up with and damnit I'm going to keep coming up with more stuff!
[/quote]

thats good, thats how i want to feel!