Why become a member? ×

Who gigs on their own?

dangerboy

[quote name='ped' post='281099' date='Sep 10 2008, 02:09 PM']What did Trip say, Alan? Is it repeatable? ;0)

ped[/quote]

He said...

"As an all-emcompassing statement, the players who make me want to BE them are Percy Jones, Mick Karn, John Taylor, Nick Beggs, Alun Vaughan, and I loved Squarepusher from the first time I heard it."

I was, and still am, enormously chuffed :)

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='281347' date='Sep 10 2008, 07:35 PM']He said...

"As an all-emcompassing statement, the players who make me want to BE them are Percy Jones, Mick Karn, John Taylor, Nick Beggs, Alun Vaughan, and I loved Squarepusher from the first time I heard it."

I was, and still am, enormously chuffed :)

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Nice one! If my name was mentioned in the same breath a Percy Jones...I'd die happy!

[quote name='pete.young' post='281438' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:33 PM']+1

If you guys hadn't, I was going to. What a legend.

As far as I can tell, Jennifer Moore is no longer doing gigs which is a shame - I saw her play once and was very impressed.[/quote]

From Single Bass Website:

Single Bass news & gig dates
Single Bass is currently pretty much dormant. It is, however, likely to return to action at some point.
If you want to hear about gig dates when there are some, write to: sb at single - bass . co . uk
and ask to be put on the e-mailing list.

Last updated: June 2007.

I went to one of Steve Lawson's solo bass nights in London a while back - it was awesome, my fav moment being when Steve asked the audience "Who plays Bass then?" litterally the entire audience put their hands up!

That night I saw Yolanda Charles. Well worth a YouTube/Google - simply sublime!

Percy Jones has done the solo with backing tapes thing.

Michael Manring of course.

Dave Holland has done 2 cds of solo bass (Emerald Tears and Ones All) but I am not sure if he ever gigged solo.

Glen Moore of Oregon fame has done solo gigs and duos with singers. Rob Wasserman has done the duo thing.

There's a guy in Newport, S. Wales called Andy Long who is trying to nail this kind of thing but I have only heard one piece that was badly recorded?

Jeff Berlin does his Dixie/Imagine/Tears In Heaven set at music fares.

Renaud Garcia-Fons?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='282656' date='Sep 12 2008, 02:29 PM']Dave Holland has done 2 cds of solo bass (Emerald Tears and Ones All) but I am not sure if he ever gigged solo.[/quote]

I have a bootleg DVD of him playing a solo gig somewhere - very good it is too. Didn't think I'd enjoy 35 mins of solo upright but it's great.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='282656' date='Sep 12 2008, 02:29 PM']There's a guy in Newport, S. Wales called Andy Long who is trying to nail this kind of thing but I have only heard one piece that was badly recorded?[/quote]

I know Andy, he's playing some very interesting stuff. There is an MP3 of me doing a duet with him on "Blue Monk" on my website...http://www.alunvaughan.com/Monkmix.mp3

Cheers
Alun