Why become a member? ×

Who gigs on their own?

dangerboy

[quote name='dangerboy' post='280469' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:28 PM']Is anyone out there taking a bass (and no doubt effects, loopers etc) to venues, and starring in their own one-person show?

I'm intrigued really. I love that kind of thing.[/quote]

I'm currently part of a (pretty much not-gonna-happen) project with my old singer where we were gonna kinda remix into big, grandious backing tracks our old band material and I was gonna play bass/rhythm/lead on my bass (not at the same time, of course) and he was gonna sing...but that not quite what you were lookin for, and it prolly ain't gunna happen.

but hey, I'd also like to know what others are doin on the same vein!

[quote name='dangerboy' post='280491' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:41 PM']I've seen so many people do 'the looper set' now. Mostly guitar-based. One was tuba-based!

I'm really wondering if any bass players were refreshing the genre by doing it with the greatest instrument on Earth. I know Squarepusher used to.[/quote]
Squarepusher? aren't they drill and bass?

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='280523' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:59 PM']The was a guy over on Talkbass, who is from this side of the pond, who does solo bass stuff. I seem to remember a picture of him playing a Warwick Vampyre in a shopping centre.[/quote]
I think he's a member on here as well, I remember reading about it/seeing the photos. I'll see if I can find the thread...

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='280523' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:59 PM']The was a guy over on Talkbass, who is from this side of the pond, who does solo bass stuff. I seem to remember a picture of him playing a Warwick Vampyre in a shopping centre.[/quote]

That'll be Kev Cooke, fine bassist and singer.

I have done a couple of instrumental solo gigs and they're always fun but nerve wracking :)

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='JoeS' post='280584' date='Sep 9 2008, 06:16 PM']I think he's a member on here as well, I remember reading about it/seeing the photos. I'll see if I can find the thread...[/quote]

[quote name='Alun' post='280588' date='Sep 9 2008, 06:29 PM']That'll be Kev Cooke, fine bassist and singer.[/quote]

Ah ha. Found him on youtube now I've got a name.

Said Vampye and shopping centre in Milton Keynes:

Good stuff.

Edited by TheDarkReaver

There should be more solo stuff going on with bass players, loopers, samples, sound fx, anything that puts bass at the forefront, instrumental, vocal...I think it's great the solo thing is growing. Just like any other instrument bass is entitled to be solo! MORE BASS SOLO! it's the only way :)