Why become a member? ×

Now I understand.....

davehux

To my ears, nothing beats the Ampeg tone.

I've played and owned/still own some stunning amps and some less-than-brilliant ones too.

Ampeg-wise, I've had (in order) the B500dr (great idea, poorly executed IMO), the SVT 3 and the SVT 3 PRO. Now I have an SVT 4PRO, Micro VR, 2 x B100R combos and most recently - an SVT Classic rig.
I loved both 3's but found the PRO to have a little more power, but preferred the tone of the 3 both were run through 2x BSE 410hlf cabs. (actually have had two SVT III's over the years)
Then moved onto the 4 PRO atop a 6x10 - unbelievable air moving power and has lots of lovely middy Ampeg tone - love this rig!
Bought the Micro VR and 2 of the 2x10 cabs - stunning wee rig and seriously powerful given it's size and weight - again, a solid Ampeg tone getting close to that SVT sound.

The last few years I've been using mostly Mesa gear (aside from my two B100R's) - MPulse 600 and PH 8x10 but with a VT Bass deluxe in front of it to get the SVT sound
and it did a bloody good job too.
But last month saw me come full circle and get my grubby paws on a US SVT CL and 8x10 - something I've always wanted but never had the chance to own.
I will never buy another amp again. EVER! The tone I've been chasing for most of my life is now achievable with just a P Bass and this.
only slight drawback is it is big and very, very heavy.
Given the fact that I am not strong as I used to be, lifting the b*st*rd is a mission - so not the most practical amp in the world - would love if it even more if it weighed the same as a 3PRO. haha

But I digress, Sonic Heaven indeed.
Excellent choice sir! :)