Why become a member? ×

Graphite necks are better!!!!!...........discuss......

chrisanthony1211

After many many years and many more basses, and at the risk of being a little controversial, I've finally decided that graphite necks are where it's at. My experience is limited to status graphite and modulus graphite necks, and various musicman, Sandberg, fender and overwater basses, but not only do graphite necks stay in tune regardless of temperature changes, but they look cool, sound fantastic with no dead spots, and I've come to the conclusion that they can actually feel more organic and natural to play!

In short, I do love a bit of graphite!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1445629046' post='2893040']
Try one and find all the claims about how great graphite necks are blown out the water. :)

Their steinberger necks are very good however. So its not the brand, its moer the design of the jazz necks.
[/quote]

I was about to try and get a fender jazz with moses neck, are they really crap, what are the issues with them?

Would love a status, series 3 fretless. no finds ,one day!!

Seems a bit of a one sided discussion! To balance things up I prefer wood. Granted composite is more consistent, but a traditionally built bass with a fabulous neck is a rarer beast altogether and a thing of great joy. It's the vagiaries of natural materials combined with craftsmanship and a dash of serendipity that give instruments individuality and character. Graphite is just good engineering, every one identical, consistency rather than character. Any one can do that :lol:

Better? Hmmmm.....
Really good? Absolutely!

I love my old Modulus BassStar and I really want a Status neck for my Musicman, so I'm definitely on board with graphite, but 'better' seems a little strong to me. I'll go with "Different and every bit as good". ;)

and to chrisanthony1211, I'm glad you've found what you really dig!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1445699515' post='2893562']

Are you watching that one on ebay too?
[/quote]

I was but the bass has now been mysterioaly taken down! I do hate ebay!!

An active mm sterling with graphite neck appeals as does a status

in the meantime alan is calling

I've had a couple of status in my time, I had one of the early stealths, one big slab of graphite, which although had no truss played beautifully, I sold it when my daughter was born as I never thought I'd play seriously again, big mistake, they never come up for sale!
Although I do love a status, for me, I think Modulus just edge it!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1445700912' post='2893575']
It's the vagiaries of natural materials combined with craftsmanship and a dash of serendipity that give instruments individuality and character. Graphite is just good engineering, every one identical, consistency rather than character. Any one can do that :lol:
[/quote]
Consistency depends on the quality of construction. I've had necks on Modulus basses that have been both too hard AND lacking in stiffness. Graphite has its own character.

Every graphite neck manufacturer has had issues with consistency. The good news is that things are a lot better now than they were 30 years ago. Its taken 20 years for those responsible for pushing boundaries to learn how to do it properly...apart from Moses jazz necks.

My Zon Legacy Elite fretless was, I have to admit, superb. For some reason I didn't really bond with it though, partly I think because I just prefer the feel of wood. I put this down to old age and approaching senility.

May I bring in to this discussion, Vigier? My Excess 5 is unbelievable in every way. The 90/10 approach really, really works. I've had the bass for over a year now and I can't ever imagine being without it. I used to really worry about temperature changes and how it affected the necks on my past basses. I once saw my Lull neck move in a particularly cold gig and decided that I needed something far more stable as I hated having to adjust the necks myself. The Vigier has that "classic" wood feel (the smoothest neck I have ever played) plus, it has that graphite rigidity. The best of both worlds, in my opinion, of course. For the record, if Vigier didn't exist, I would be a complete graphite neck user too - Status, Zon or Modulus :D

For me a Graphite neck is better, I also fly the flag for Status, WHY? Their necks are superbly crafted imho, and they stand up to my animalistic playing, when I play live I am giving it 100%, I have a heavy hand and my Graphite neck is rock solid and the tuning stability is for me second to none.