Why become a member? ×

Does he offer a pickup replacement service?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1444407417' post='2883068']
I'll PM you a brief history - unfair on newer members to make references to things long passed.
[/quote]

'Sbeen done, but thanks. It's difficult to initiate all newcomers to the complex and checkered history of such an illustrious institution as Basschat. We've tried, many times, to meet up on a dark hillside with buckets of feathers, torches, leather devices and penguins, but the admission fees frighten off most candidates. The insurance quotes are high, too, commensurate with the anticipated medical bills. Still, how else could we inform newbies of all there is to learn here..? Suggestions (not [i]too [/i]rude, please...) on a postcard to the usual address. :mellow:

We also rely to a great extent on the wisdom and good taste of the regulars here to not let off incendiary devices in otherwise mundane threads. It doesn't always work, of course, but it's the preferred method, by far. B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1444408472' post='2883093']

We also rely to a great extent on the wisdom and good taste of the regulars here to not let off incendiary devices in otherwise mundane threads. It doesn't always work, of course, but it's the preferred method, by far. B)
[/quote]

Thought I was being most discrete (not Discreet of course).

To be fair to the man, I've seen a couple of his "modifications" recently and they've been pretty decent. This one however, looks like he's popped on a blindfold, pulled some random stuff from his parts drawer and plumbed them in to an unwiling instrument. I get the feeling that if he'd pulled out a packet of Werthers Originals, he'd have whacked it into the pickup cavity...

[quote name='Manwithvan' timestamp='1444346518' post='2882543']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-guitar-by-Lindo-with-Ibanez-P-bass-pup-and-full-set-up-/191711391027?hash=item2ca2e3ad33"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ca2e3ad33[/url]

It's a fine job, to be sure. I'm only worried that his [s]main[/s] only tools are a hammer and toothbrush
[/quote]

Corrected :lol:

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1444423793' post='2883256']
That guy is considered low-hanging fruit in these parts. A shame, because there is something insidious about his M.O. These instruments are marketed for beginners, so his target market know not if they are being sold complete junk or a brilliant instrument. From what I've seen it is the former.
[/quote]

Agreed. If there was even a hint of irony or self-mockery in his listings, some recognition of the funny side of these lash-ups, it would be more palatable.

It's the apparently po-faced certainty that he's a craftsman improving poor design by others that really grates for me.

I think I've said this before, but someone really needs to start an MDP fan page on facebook, both to further appreciation of his, erm, unique work and to make the job of the mods on here a little easier. There are some real gems among his other listings at the moment, but I presume that this may not be the place to bring them up.

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1444392682' post='2882849']
Tsk tsk young man !!
We are not allowed to mention the great one...just look and be astonished :ph34r:
[/quote]
So what's the back story here?
A couple of years ago almost every MDP masterpiece was linked here for critique / ridicule.

Is it really not the done thing anymore?

Guest canonman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1444813789' post='2886217']
A couple of years ago almost every MDP masterpiece was linked here for critique / ridicule.

[/quote]

No, unless you like being bollocked by the moderators!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1444813789' post='2886217']

[/quote]

OK, then. Here's the essence of an explanatory PM sent recently...

[color=#800080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]... Private pictures and aspersions close to deformation were being posted on a regular basis whenever posts such as this came up, so a 'clamp-down' was put in place. ... Comment on an Ebay sale is one thing; references to the bloke's private life and family are 'off limits', hence the 'ban' on mentioning the fellow. We'll see how this goes, but don't be surprised or offended if we have to 'pull' the topic, just be disappointed if some of our fellow BC members can't resist.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hope this clears things up for some...[/font][/color]