Why become a member? ×

Pop tart

bootleg

Heard the term "pop tart" on this site. I'm always chatting up/to band members post gig if the opportunity arises. Including at least a couple of members here.

Remember talking to Jim Moray after a gig at the Folk House in Bristol. Much to several hesitant lady fans disappointment who were working up the nerve themselves.

Had a great chat with Gail Ann Dorsey at St Bonaventure's partly cos no one knew who she was playing with Jonatha Brookes.

Started when I was 17 and chatted to Brian Eno in a Victorian observatory in Northumberland.

The list goes on.

What's your story?

I once gushed at Miranda Sykes who was playing upright bass for Show Of Hands; I remember telling her how much I liked her playing on a recent album and how tasteful her note choice was. She seemed both pleased and unnerved at the same time :lol:

Me and a mate saw Steve Harris of Iron Maiden ,oh, must have been 20 years ago, in Lakeside shopping centre with the Mrs having a sandwich, and we asked him to sign a hastily purchased Maiden calendar and I told him his style had massively influenced me ( he was basically my music idol!) and he was kind enough to grin and say " nice one " before diving back into his lunch!

It all started for me with Colin Hodgkinson and I literally went through the Back Door at a venue in Washington where he was playing when I was 17/18. I didn't have much to say as I wasn't on BC then....

Since then have spoken to Rhino Edwards for around 30 minutes when he was with Judie Tzuke (my Mrs used to go to school with their guitar/producer Mike Paxman).

Usually if its a fairly informal gig or I see a Bassist at the Bar, I'll do a quick hello/chat. Most recent would be Lee Sklaar x 2!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444221305' post='2881252']
I don't really like talking to people I know, so there is absolutely no chance of me walking up to a stranger and engaging them in conversation.. :o Just thinking about it is making me feel uneasy...
[/quote]
Unfortunately, this...

Although the avatar shows I can occasionally overcome this problem!

Edited by Telebass

I did the complete opposite once. I went to see the Dave Weckl band at a club in Berlin (I live there). I was friends with the club's owners (mortals like myself play there too sometimes) and was having a drink around the corner from their table. They kept popping round the corner and asking me to join them at their table with John Patitucci. Not knowing what to say and not wanting to bug the guy, I repeatedly declined.
At some point the band members left and the manager came round and said "You *rse, we were struggling to make small-talk in English and he (Patitucci) was right up for a gab and a beer:" DOH! :blush:

I never speak to people at a gig unless I am in the band. Running my gig in Felixstowe, I have had the opportunity to sit and eat with loads of great players and I love the stories. They have all been very approachable people and as willing to talk about politics or whatever comes up as they are about music.