Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1389573540' post='2335793']

No links to fake nor real Ric eBay items are permitted
[/quote]

Sorry - I must be being a bit thick here. But surely the only purpose of this thread is to link to fake Rics? If what you've said is right, this thread by definition breaches the ban?

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1389573560' post='2335794']
I've no idea. If we are allowed to post links to Rics on eBay, it would be nice to know. There have been some very nice 4004s on there recently, but I assumed we were not allowed to link to them.
[/quote]

You assumed correctly.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1389573695' post='2335796']
Sorry - I must be being a bit thick here. But surely the only purpose of this thread is to link to fake Rics? If what you've said is right, this thread by definition breaches the ban?
[/quote]

Only if it contains trades or links to trades concerning Rics. As I explained, this thread being stored here is an anomaly. Any mention of Rics or copies here is fine. No marketing (anywhere on the site, for that matter...) of Rics, in any form, be they real or copy, is permitted. Have I omitted anything..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1389573869' post='2335801']

Only if it contains trades or links to trades concerning Rics. As I explained, this thread being stored here is an anomaly. Any mention of Rics or copies here is fine. No marketing (anywhere on the site, for that matter...) of Rics, in any form, be they real or copy, is permitted. Have I omitted anything..?
[/quote]

No, that's helpful, thanks. But as you say, it does seem an anomaly to have this in the marketplace section of the forum.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1389573560' post='2335794']
I've no idea. If we are allowed to post links to Rics on eBay, it would be nice to know. There have been some very nice 4004s on there recently, but I assumed we were not allowed to link to them.
[/quote]
Yes i see what you mean.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1389574047' post='2335806']
No, that's helpful, thanks. But as you say, it does seem an anomaly to have this in the marketplace section of the forum.
[/quote]

Indeed. It's under discussion to (perhaps...) relocate it. I've no idea on time scale, or if it will, in fact move, but it's under consideration. The confusion caused is acknowledged, now we have to see how best to deal with it. Stay tuned...

Edited by Dad3353

Apologies if this has been mentioned above, but I've noticed that recently a few Fakers on eBay appear to be evading the Ric police. If so, has something changed at either eBay or Ric Central, or is it because changes on BC make it harder for Ric to find them?

There have always been some fakers that slip through the net. I'm really not sure why some get away with it and others don't, and I've seen some reach completion when they contain the words 'Rick' and 'copy' in the body of the listing. JH seems to patrol personally, so perhaps sometimes he just has better things to do with his time?

A recent listing for a Hondo copy which had "Rickenbacker copy" in the title was pulled.It was immediately relisted under the same eBay account but with no mention of Rickenbacker, and it then ran to completion. I was surprised, since other people have said that their accounts are locked when a listing is pulled for selling allegedly "counterfeit" goods.

Mine was pulled for being fraudulent, even thought it clearly wasn't (It wasn't a rick, and I never said it was, I was quite clear what it was). I got a very stroppy email from ebay saying I wouldn't get the money back for violating their Ts&Cs.

So I read the rules completely and then wrote back asking them exactly what rule I had violated, as I couldn't see one. The reply was that they had to take it down because they received a request from Ric, but it didn't affect my standing with eBay at all, and all my fees would be refunded (as they were). Gumtree were quite apologetic, but Preloved were much less friendly!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1389894701' post='2339276']
I`ve always liked Rickenbacker basses but the way they do this type of stuff, I doubt I will ever buy one now as I wouldn`t want them to get any of my money.
[/quote]
An increasing number of people on here think that way. The only Rick I'd consider would be an old 4001 that pre-dates Hall's Rickenbacker International Corp. Preferably one with checked binding, full width inlays, exploding wavy Grovers, toaster.... :D

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1389895503' post='2339293']
An increasing number of people on here think that way.
[/quote]

Why do you think the number is increasing? It seems to me the pro and anti-Ric camp stays pretty much the same, whichever side of the debate you sit on.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1390003280' post='2340560']
Why do you think the number is increasing? It seems to me the pro and anti-Ric camp stays pretty much the same, whichever side of the debate you sit on.
[/quote]
I own a couple of Ricks, which I suppose puts me in the 'pro' camp, but I don't particularly like the way JH goes about business. This goes way beyond his attitude to 40 year old 'fakers (which I can actually understand).

So yes, it has tarnished the brand for me and it's why I'm not inclined to sing the praises of the basses.

I think Musky has it in a nutshell. For my part I think Hall & RIC are quite justified doing necessary work to protect their registered trademarks and therefore the business, but there's a lot of what comes across as personal spite, bitterness and contempt in Hall's attitude. He doesn't seem to appreciate that the people he's working so hard to insult and alienate are his potential customers.

If he maintained a more businesslike attitude he'd probably actually gain support, not turn people against him & his product.

J.

Hi all,

I own this baby for about 25 years.
Never had any clue which brand or what year she was build in.
Through the years I did some research so now and then but I was never sure. It is probably from japan, maybe made somewhere in the 70s?

Ideas are very welcome

Some additional information: Natural finish, neck through body, one truss rod, skunk stripe, dots on fingerboard, unbound body/fingerboard, stereo output, no serial numbers, tuning gear is replaced ¨Schaller¨

Greco as a brand was never officially imported to the UK - for that reason alone, this almost certainly isn't one.

I'd say it was possibly originally branded Maya or El Maya - unbound, dot-neck examples of these do turn up, in fact a BC member had/has one. Can't remember who, though - curse my failing memory!

That said, there were dozens of UK importer brands and like any old MIJ bass with no name, it could have been any number of them.

J.

EDIT - sorry NightGoat - just realised you're in NL. Having said that, I'm not sure Greco went to Europe at all, and I'm afraid the only Dutch 70s brands I know are Gerrinez and (I think) Custom.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='NightGoat' timestamp='1390559840' post='2346760']
Hi all,

I own this baby for about 25 years.
Never had any clue which brand or what year she was build in.
Through the years I did some research so now and then but I was never sure. It is probably from japan, maybe made somewhere in the 70s?

Ideas are very welcome

Some additional information: Natural finish, neck through body, one truss rod, skunk stripe, dots on fingerboard, unbound body/fingerboard, stereo output, no serial numbers, tuning gear is replaced ¨Schaller¨

[/quote]

What a lovely looking bass :)