Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1364662407' post='2029408']
Quite a few 'fakers had the gap in the binding, including Matsumoku made basses which also had twin truss rods.
[/quote]

Thanks Musky. Knew about the twin rods but not the binding. Bit more knowledge gained :D

This one wont be about long due to use of the "R" word

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RICKENBACKER-4003-CMI-COPY-BASS-JETGLO-BLACK-/190819192234?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c6db5cdaa

I already had the first ad pulled, which oddly appeared on a gumtree ad on facebook but my current one hasn't got the R word anywhere. Looking at pictures of 60's models mine has all the same details like the binding, fret marker material and thumb rest but high gain 70s pickups which oddly enough have a fuller tone which for a copy is very odd.

If spotted it'll still get pulled. JH claims he has trade dress in the design, which covers general likeness. It's likely any trade dress isn't enforceable in the UK but ebay won't go into the ins and outs of the matter and just take it down.

Even stuff which couldn't be mistaken for a real Rick, like the Kays and Shaftesbury semis, get pulled.

Deliberate fake:
Even Fake duster thrown in>
what is this guy on, it's not even close.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUST-BE-SEEN-Rickenbacker-Bass-Guitar-4003-Rare-AZURE-GLO-Blue-Burst-Colour-4001-/181117042670?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a2b6abfee"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUST-BE-SEEN-Rickenbacker-Bass-Guitar-4003-Rare-AZURE-GLO-Blue-Burst-Colour-4001-/181117042670?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a2b6abfee[/url]

The counterfeit one is "no longer for sale" - it wasn't pulled, the seller has taken it down. Presumably someone tipped him off that it wasn't genuine and he really didn't know.

Either that or someone made him an offer. <_<

You can see the attraction for copycat makers, make your own Korean bass and sell it for what its worth £99, or copy a respected brand with a poor immitation and get £500.
But who pays £500 for a copy. If you are going to kid yourself and stand on stage and kid everyone else, £500 buys a Fender.
Ricks are expensive, pick one up and you will soon see why.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1365675378' post='2042611']
You can see the attraction for copycat makers, make your own Korean bass and sell it for what its worth £99, or copy a respected brand with a poor immitation and get £500.
But who pays £500 for a copy. If you are going to kid yourself and stand on stage and kid everyone else, £500 buys a Fender.
[/quote]

I've picked up quite a lot at this point. There is not much about them to justify the price tag. £500 gets a pretty respectable Korean made instrument.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1365675378' post='2042611']
[/quote]

I've owned quite a few fakers, ranging from the sublime to the awful. Having owned a gorgeous CMI bought for 350 quid I can testify some fakers are absolutely amazing. My band mates were absolutely blown away by the sound of the thing. I actually can't remember why I sold it!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1364656460' post='2029302']
That is amazing. Judging by the photos I (briefly) saw on the first Gumtree ad, your bass has a gap in the binding behind the bridge. Ricks have that but I have not seen as faker with that.
[/quote]

Yep, My Faker has the binding gap - but is single truss on a straight through neck.

Joodee and the CMIs I've had (different makes, as they had differences), both had binding gaps. The CMIs have a smaller binding gap though, the biding goes under the bridge at that point, whereas most ricks it stops about where the bridge is. However Cliff Burtons Rick is as per the CMIs, and everyone swears that isn't a faker, so maybe it varied over time.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1369480100' post='2089642']
This is one of my favourite youtube videos. I'm sure any BCers with a liking for these things will love this. Enjoy! :D

[media]http://youtu.be/RZkyw-r34HA[/media]
[/quote]

Ha! Ha! Authentic Bulls**t Guitars more like! Thanks for posting had a good laugh at this one :)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1369660341' post='2091274']
Ha! Ha! Authentic Bulls**t Guitars more like! Thanks for posting had a good laugh at this one :)
[/quote]
I thought you might like it. :D

P.S. I too marvelled it's plywood body when i bought one of these. :rolleyes:

Edited by BetaFunk