Why become a member? ×

First public appearence - what to play?

Bobthedog

Thanks again. The thing is, I do not yet know any songs! I can play you anything from the first four Rockschool bass books and some snippets of various choons with some confidence and ability but, I have yet to spend any time on anything publically playable. Hence the somewhat odd question.

Fingers or plectrum..??

Dakota with a plectrum is very doable..with fingers, for you, ..?? no.
The song is made or broken on rigid 8th notes...and too many finger style players
struggle on a relatively simple but fundemetal ask...

Unless you are 250% certain, I'd avoid...
Not trying to bust your confidence... just being practical.

IMO.

Glad that the encouragement helped!

Does your friend's band have a website? Any YouTube videos? What styles do they usually play? If they do functions and covers gigs then they might have a sample song list on the website, a lot of such bands do. I'm guessing from your description that it's pretty mainstream stuff. Do try to get more info from her and tell her you'd feel more confident doing a song they already know really well and which fits in their set - rather than randomly picking some random, stylistically inappropriate songs.

If not you might look at something like some of the big hits off Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album. Great songs for a girl singer, relatively simple s tructures and crowd pleasers. Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, Dreams,... Are the Eagles too Country? They've got lots of great but relatively simple songs.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1443033705' post='2871735']
You don't know any full songs :o

My friend you are truly in for a baptism of fire!
[/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1443035569' post='2871761']
Fingers or plectrum..??

Dakota with a plectrum is very doable..with fingers, for you, ..?? no.
The song is made or broken on rigid 8th notes...and too many finger style players
struggle on a relatively simple but fundemetal ask...

Unless you are 250% certain, I'd avoid...
Not trying to bust your confidence... just being practical.

IMO.
[/quote]

What I should have said is I have not learnt any songs. I know all the songs from the Rockschool bass books, it is not just scales and exercises. :) :D Sadly they are bespoke to the exams to get technique etc right.

I am not too concerned at learning something, it is really my memory and finger speed on technical stuff where I miss out. I ran through Dakota last night with fingers against a youtube video with tab, without too much difficulty; it seemed straightforward, if not repetitive. It won't be one of the songs though.

A baptism of fire, of course it will be, but it is only getting the bass right I have issues with. I used to regularly present to 400 plus people so the stage / performance issue is no fear (at the moment). I have also acted on stage and played lead trumpet with a band, albeit many many years ago. There have also been a couple of posts on BC from people playing in a pub band within a minute of picking up a bass guitar and being self taught, I hope the last 18 months of weekly lessons and nightly practice every night will be of some help. I am not kidding myself it will be easy, it won't be but there are enough circumstances that let me think with the right tunes I will get away with it. KISS will be the way forward.

Trevor re the band, I can't find a website, but apparently there is one. I will call for the playlist again and/or website.

Edited by Bobthedog

Until we see the set list, can't really advise on a song to pick.

The reason why I'm against something like Dakota..- I know it isn't an option, but the thinking applies to other songs-
is that it is carried by the bass...and that is exposure/pressure that you may not need. I'd say the same about Valerie,
but it depends how you feel about it. You can't move or lose the groove on that..the song will fall apart..so want to avoid
that sort of scenario..IMO.

3 chords and repetitive is a good start..but there might be better ideas/choice when the set list is up.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1443091897' post='2872093'] Until we see the set list, can't really advise on a song to pick. The reason why I'm against something like Dakota..- I know it isn't an option, but the thinking applies to other songs- is that it is carried by the bass...and that is exposure/pressure that you may not need. I'd say the same about Valerie, but it depends how you feel about it. You can't move or lose the groove on that..the song will fall apart..so want to avoid that sort of scenario..IMO. 3 chords and repetitive is a good start..but there might be better ideas/choice when the set list is up. [/quote]
Ergo I'd say something like Sweet Home Alabama as another shout, or that kid rock song that is a copy of it.

A not stupid question - what do you listen to / do you listen to much music? Are there songs that you just know the structure of by heart?
Other suggestions from me would be
Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop (if they have keys)
Bryan Adams - Summer of 69
Kings Of Leon - The Bucket
Zutons / Amy Winehouse - Valerie ( slightly odd timing, but easy to remember, and not hard structure)
Katrina and the Waves - Walking on Sunshine

I was in a short-lived female/male fronted band. Of the simpler bass tracks, we did, as already suggested, 'Walking on Sunshine', which I loathed yet it unfailingly went down a storm. Also Kim Wilde's 'Kids I America', Joan Jett's 'I love Rock n roll', Pat Benatar's 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot'. Also simple but very bass dominant in the track was 'Black Velvet' which I enjoyed playing.

Agree with Sweet Home Alabama easy to play. A good one with a girl singer is Next To Me - Emilie Sande, popular with the audience, can be played four in a bar on root notes and repetitive three chords. Easy to learn.

Anything 12 bar is good and you won't need a music stand for those.

We do Knocking on Heavens Door in a reggae feel, easy play and comes over well.

Forget the audience and enjoy the experience.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1443110126' post='2872309']
I was in a short-lived female/male fronted band. Of the simpler bass tracks, we did, as already suggested, 'Walking on Sunshine', which I loathed yet it unfailingly went down a storm. Also Kim Wilde's 'Kids I America', Joan Jett's 'I love Rock n roll', Pat Benatar's 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot'. Also simple but very bass dominant in the track was 'Black Velvet' which I enjoyed playing.
[/quote]

Thanks Paul, both Black Velvet and the Benatar appeal.

[quote name='skywalker' timestamp='1443174860' post='2872780']
Agree with Sweet Home Alabama easy to play. A good one with a girl singer is Next To Me - Emilie Sande, popular with the audience, can be played four in a bar on root notes and repetitive three chords. Easy to learn.

Anything 12 bar is good and you won't need a music stand for those.

We do Knocking on Heavens Door in a reggae feel, easy play and comes over well.

Forget the audience and enjoy the experience.
[/quote]

SW, thank you and will look into the Sande number.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1442995195' post='2871169']

Nothing wrong with taking a cheat sheet on stage. I've done it at gigs for songs I was unsure of, you don't need a music stand. Just a piece of A4 paper and a permanent marker, write the chords out nice and big on the page and place it at your feet. If you're only doing one or two songs you'll only need a single sheet and no one in the audience will know its there.
[/quote]

Fully agree , and I've been doing this for years . I use a clipboard with the notes written in bold marker pen on sheets of paper, prop it up against one of the floor wedges and off you go !!

Play a song you know in your head , that way you have a rough idea where the notes / chords will go .

Just thought I would chuck a couple of other suggestions into the pot:

(1) Bryan Adams: Run to You - a bit more interesting to play than Summer of 69 and it has a really neat bassline that is easy to get into the groove of: http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/bryan-adams-run-to-you-tab-s2430t0

(2) Echo and the Bunnymen: Killing Moon - total classic and the bassline is really good fun on this one. Also again a nice groove that is easy to fall into: http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/echo-and-the-bunnymen-killing-moon-tab-s33680t1

(3) Smash Mouth: All Star - everyone knows it and its about as cheery and upbeat as they get. The bassline is nice and simple but fun all the same: http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/smash-mouth-all-star-tab-s17302t0

(4) Goldfinger's Cover: 99 Red Balloons - Awesome track with some wondeful yet simple bass: http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/goldfinger-99-red-balloons-tab-s8514t0

I'd suggest getting their set list - if you select some songs from their set list then they will be confident and that will boost your confidence. Just ensure about any key changes from the original are known by you.

Further to that, then I'd recommend songs like Dakota, She Sells Sanctuary, Teenage Kicks, Bohemian Like You - all in our current set list! As well as Sharp Dressed Man, Mustang Sally, Chasing Cars.

Most of all - relax and have fun!

I play so rarely in public that it [i]always[/i] feels like the first time
This next time at open mic night I'm choosing "groove is in the heart" for my soundcheck (they never get bass players and I'm never there at kickoff due to kids so it takes a while) followeda country blues riff segueing into a boogie woogie 12 bar thing (I made both up so no idea if they'll sound ok) - local guitar teacher offered to accompany me

Edited by Geek99

Will be more fun than you think - but probably only afterwards! :)

As so many have said, you'll need to see what they usually play - and in what order. You'd be better playing two songs in a row rather than one here and one an hour later. Not much point hitting them with a couple of songs they'll have to go off and learn. The drummer won't, thinking he can blag it, and you won't have any of the cues you're used to listening for on the recorded version.

Definitely sit in on a rehearsal, and ask for a run-through of the agreed tunes.

Sounds me like you'll be fine. Just make a conscious effort to stay in time with the drummer. Be semi-prepared for fecking it up somewhere along the line - keep playing rather than stopping (try to do so in the right key!). Guaranteed no punter will notice, and hopefully the guys in the band have got over the thing where they all turn and look at you whilst rolling their eyes! :)