Why become a member? ×

Bass choice for acoustic tracks

Pinball

Hi, I normally play Stingrays or an Ibanez SR3005E but am now working on an acoustic song based guitar/vocals project and would like an alternative bass sound. I have a modest budget and or could trade or sell my Ibby

I normally play 5 strings, 34" scale in rock bands and loads of pedals

Whatever I listen to sounds good e.g. P basses, Jazzes, EMG's, That should make it simple but just makes it more confusing HELP!

Any suggestions or am I just overthinking this? It sounds like a "which guitar is good for metal post"

Edited by Pinball

My only bass is a 5 string fretless P Bass which I have used in full electric band and stripped down acoustic settings. I'm now depping with a ceilidh & traditional Irish band - fiddle, accordion, mandolin, acoustic guitar, and the sound works fine. With flatwound strings I can get a nice little percussive edge that works very nicely without a drummer.

Thanks, I can do fretless.

Also this bit nails what I'm trying to achieve

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1439888778' post='2846423']
With flatwound strings I can get a nice little percussive edge that works very nicely without a drummer.
[/quote]

Cheers!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1439895663' post='2846507']
I play in a group with two electro-acoustic guitars, electric piano, and small drum kit.

I vary between upright, fretless Takamine B10, Precision with flats and used to have fretless Precision. They all worked fine.
[/quote]

Let me know the next time you're gigging the B10, always loved the look of them, would love to hear one in action. (Sorry for brief thread hijack Pinball)!

In the ceilidh band I played in, I changed between a fretless Warwick Thumb (with roundwounds), a NS WAV-4 EUB, and an Ashbory Mk I.

You might consider one of the Harley Benton bass ukes, just as something rather different and somewhat uprightish-sounding.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1439896080' post='2846510']
Let me know the next time you're gigging the B10, always loved the look of them, would love to hear one in action. (Sorry for brief thread hijack Pinball)!
[/quote]
We are slightly dead in the water at present but we hope to catch a breeze soon. I'll let you know.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1439899230' post='2846563']
You might consider one of the Harley Benton bass ukes, just as something rather different and somewhat uprightish-sounding.
[/quote]

Exactly what I use! Great fun for not much cash, and always gets you noticed!

• 4 weeks later...

As an update I recorded the vocals and guitar int he studio acoustically and then added the bass at home. Finger style fretless sounds best to me. I tried 3 different basses from a Stingray to a P bass and they all sounded good. I'm probably going to go with the P bass.

Note: I wish I had recorded the bass first...you live and learn :)

I'll stick up a link to something once finished