Why become a member? ×

How To Be In a Band

blue

[size=4][font=Arial]How To Be In a Band[/font]

[font=Arial]Seems simple , well IMHO it's not and it's part of the reason many guys become disillusioned disappointed and end up in an endless cycle of being bandless or always in between bands, in multiple bands none of them going anywhere and never experiencing what it's like to be in a working productive band.[/font]

[font=Arial]Most of us never define;[/font][/size][list]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]What we are looking for[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]What we want out of band experience[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]The type of band we want to be in and if it's even feasible[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]The type of people we want to work with[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Do I have the experience needed for the type of band I want to play in[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]How far am I willing to commute for gigs and rehearsals[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]How important is gigging and pay to me ( If those things are not important your looking for a "for fun" only band)[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Do I know how to work well with others, can I be part of a team[/font][/size]
[/list]
[size=4][font=Arial]If you don't define these things and I'm sure there are other things you would want to consider, you are really asking for failure.[/font]

[font=Arial]Take the guy that joins a start up and after 6 months, they only have a few songs down and no gigs in site. OK that would be most start up bands. So wouldn't you think, maybe I should stay away from start ups. Or the guy that loves metal and gigging, joins a good metal band but after a year all they had was 6 non-paying gigs. Is he going to say, well there really isn't much of a market for local metal bands here.[/font]

[font=Arial]It's a lot of give and take and compromise.[/font]

[font=Arial]Comments & suggestions;[/font]

[font=Arial]Blue[/font][/size]

Edited by blue

The usual reason is communication.

People assume the members of the band all want the same thing.

People also have set ideas on image of the musicians and the types of tunes the band should be playing.

Bands can drag along for years endlessly discussing things but not actually listening to each other.

If you join a band, sure, know what you want but you have to communicate with the others and work out whether that's really what they want as well or whether they're just paying lip service.

If you join a band then you're joining a band and not there to change it to fit what you want.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1439507298' post='2843522']

The usual reason is communication.

People also have set ideas on image of the musicians and the types of tunes the band should be playing.[/quote]

I use to be concerned about those things, Now the only thing I might bring up would be "Why are bookings weak in December?" Song choice ,image those things don't concern me. I'm in a band to perform and make as much $$ as possible.

Blue

I think as long as you let them know who's boss, you'll be fine.
You're the bassist. The most important member, the one that keeps the drummer & everyone else in time, the one who provides the song it's backbone & groove, the one that understands how all the sounds fit together, the one that has to tell the guitarist to turn down.

It's hard work being a bassist! :yarr:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1439508572' post='2843527']
I think as long as you let them know who's boss, you'll be fine.
You're the bassist. The most important member, the one that keeps the drummer & everyone else in time, the one who provides the song it's backbone & groove, the one that understands how all the sounds fit together, the one that has to tell the guitarist to turn down.

It's hard work being a bassist! :yarr:
[/quote]

That's a good example of things I have no interest in. I'm not the boss and would not want to be. We have a band leader she's the boss and calls all the shots.

You identified the functions of a bass player, not things related to how to be in a band.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439508864' post='2843533']
That's a good example of things I have no interest in. I'm not the boss and would not want to be. We have a band leader she's the boss and calls all the shots.

You identified the functions of a bass player, not things related to how to be in a band.

Blue
[/quote]
I think my sense of humour was lost a bit there. :)

I think the important bit of being in a band is to know who started the band, what they're looking for it to do & where you fit in.
Is it your style of music, is there room for style variations etc, and most importantly, are you getting what you want from it?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439508864' post='2843533']

Blue
[/quote]
So, you want a job then , you want to be told what to do and this job in music ticks your boxes , that's fine. Lots do it as a hobby , and it brings a whole different set of needs , money not necessarily being one of them , and this brings a different outlook to a greater or lesser degree.
Compromise is always there though .

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1439510185' post='2843540']
I think my sense of humour was lost a bit there. :)

I think the important bit of being in a band is to know who started the band, what they're looking for it to do & where you fit in.
Is it your style of music, is there room for style variations etc, and most importantly, are you getting what you want from it?
[/quote]

True, I can tell you over 9 years there have only been 2 personal changes.Both were asked to leave because they challenged the BL.

Blue

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1439511749' post='2843548']
So, you want a job then , you want to be told what to do and this job in music ticks your boxes , that's fine. Lots do it as a hobby , and it brings a whole different set of needs , money not necessarily being one of them , and this brings a different outlook to a greater or lesser degree.
Compromise is always there though .
[/quote]

Yes when it's a hobby completely different story. And yes I wanted a paying job and it's why I went after the band I'm in. Always gigging , always making money. Now, I completely knew what I wanted when I was in a search. I never entertained joining any originals bands or start ups. I also knew I had to find, good, smart, honest experienced people to play with. I couldn't ask for a nicer group of people to work with.

The reason for the thread, I am not sure everyone really thinks through what they are looking for. I was hoping there would be more suggestions or comments about how to define what you want or at least all the things we should think about when in a search.

For a lot of guys it's merely [i]"I have to get into a band". [/i]If your 16 that might work.

Blue

Edited by blue

For me, my personal wants/needs are so specific that they are a real problem, or so vague that they're useless.

The most important part is the music, there is no way I'd be interested in playing music I wasn't totally into.

Running a very close second/joint first is the people. I don't want to play with knob'eads. There's no fun in constant arguments and butting of egos.

If I could find both of those I wouldn't care if we never made any money, in fact I'd be quite prepared to lose money to enjoy it. As for gigs and recording and stuff, I don't really care. It'd be nice to have the extra stuff but getting together with some mates, having a laugh, writing tunes and playing them loudly would be enough for me.

After a while you get to know what you are looking for.... you get to know how it works and you get to know how other people expect things to work..
Then you talk and find common goals and ideas...
and it will still rattle along at times, but yes, there are some people you have to know will not work from the start so you don't get involved with them.

Sing from the same page...get the money sorted right up front and know what you all will work and commit to.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439507811' post='2843524']

I use to be concerned about those things, Now the only thing I might bring up would be "Why are bookings weak in December?" Song choice ,image those things don't concern me. I'm in a band to perform and make as much $$ as possible.

Blue
[/quote]

I know. But many people get hung up on those kinds of details and miss the big picture.

As you say in your initial post - "No market for Metal" - is there no market for metal or is your marketing badly targeted? And how many people only want to play the songs they like and get hung up arguing about something for 30minutes that will only affect 3minutes of their life?

It's about the band priority.

If the band priority is to promote funkblackreggaemetal, I think you have to find members who are all committed to that cause, and therefore willing to play for free, for several years, to empty venues and to look to build a scene from scratch. Some scenes will build, and some will die a death, being in that band is about your commitment to the cause. A random member, looking to play a few gigs, earn a few quid and enjoy playing to full crowds is not going to last long in that band.

In my acoustic band, our priority is to play stuff that you wouldn't necessarily expect to hear, but that people know, arranged a bit differently. We are all on board with this, and there are few disagreements over whether something is working or not. If we added in a 4th person at any point, it would be really necessary that they bought into the band philosophy

Again that's down to communication.

When that 4th member comes along its no good them thinking you're doing loads of gigs and going places. You have to make sure they understand what they're buying into.

Many people will oversell their band to get a good musician in, only for that musician to pack up 3 weeks later after learning the set and finding out there's no audience at the gigs.

I wonder if there's a difference between the USA and here. Accepting that the Venn diagram would show we have more in common than differences of course. Not many British musicians would say they were only in it for the money. There's a tendency over here to value the music highly, which seems strange sometimes if it's a covers band but then playing stuff you don't enjoy for a tiny rate per hour isn't very motivating. I also wonder if we Brits are just natures amateur enthusiasts.

Me, I love performing, I'd take a poorly paid gig or do a charity event for free if I could guarantee a large enthusiastic audience and I've no problem playing Mustang Sally if it's what the audience want.

So for me it has to be fun primarily, the music is part of that but good company is very important, or at least a positive and professional attitude. Gigging is a must, although start ups in gestation can be fun too, but at least you have to hit the open mic/jamming sessions right up front. My current band suits me fine, we're all pretty much interested primarily in giving the audience a good time, the guitarist is the only prima donna and we gig regularly and it's building up. We're playing rock covers and I wouldn't go to listen to a band doing our set in a million years but hey, it's fun to play and the audiences are usually up dancing from the first few songs.

Having said that the whole band have to take the music seriously, practice at home, rehearsal is for rehearsing and working on arrangements not learning the song. If I mess up then I'd go away and work hard on that bit and I'd expect others to do the same. I don't mind lowish skill levels so long as you're trying to improve and take it seriously, we all start somewhere but I'd rather work with people who have a positive attitude than a lazy talent.

My bands have always been more or less democratic, I'm often the bandleader in terms of organisation but I'm not the greatest musician and I don't sing so the musical side is pretty much shared. Not sure how I'd respond to the sort of band leader you describe Blue. On the one hand just having to think about bass might be fun but I can't handle doing things badly just because the boss says so especially in what for me is my social life.

It's as much a sociology experiment as it is a musical venture I find. Balancing personalities is more difficult than writing/performing songs.
My lot have packed it in until next year and I'm desperate to get back into a band. But not as desperate as I thought. I've turned down the 4 offers I've had because I didn't hit it off with the prospective band members.
You've got to be happy with your lot in the band. Whether you're the one who gets the gigs, looks after the money, is the musical director, drives the van, makes the tea or whatever. If you're the bass player you probably do the lot ;)

When we started our band the singer/guitarist, who is essentially the "leader" set out on paper what he wanted, and what his aims for the band were. Helps that (very un-punkily) he`s a project manager in his day job, so everything was laid out as to what was expected of each band member, and realistic goals (all of which we`ve now achieved I might add, so now he`s got to write some more). The offer was made to people we were already in a band with, but on seeing the spec neither wanted in, and to be honest, given what we do and how we do it, they made the right choice as it wouldn`t have suited them. As has been said, communication is key. It`s ok being able to play, but there`s so much more that goes with that, and those are the bits that many often overlook.

I might add, being the bassist, my main job is I print the set-lists. I also look after the production on our recordings, whereas the others handle getting gigs, social media, merchandise etc. I think I got away with the easy ones :)

Edited by Lozz196

I've taken on the set list role as well. To be fair ice kept it the same for the last 6months or so as I'd refined it enough for it to work really well. Now I pretty much just swap new numbers for the old numbers.

However, when I started it didn't flow very well and the less well tunes were lumped together meaning the audience tended to get restless.

Which is really what I was saying earlier about obsessing and endlessly discussing which tunes to do. Someone should just suggest a tune and everyone just learn it and see what it sounds like.

From my perspective my approach to this question has changed over time. I hadn't been in a "proper" band before so my initial priorities were to enjoy myself and hang out with my friends whilst learning the rudimentary elements of being in a band. The idea that someone would give us licence to play our terrible songs and do things that would otherwise get us kicked out of a venue was particularly thrilling!

Nowadays, people come to see us and that changes our experience as getting blasted isn't an option. Still enjoy it but its not the same.

I'll have the flow of the set in mind and we'll pick numbers to suit that.
I want to get away from a pub set to a 'show' set...in that the whole evening
is structured.

The idea is that the band covers gigs well that others don't or can't.

It is not just a case of putting your best 22 numbers in a certain order...
but that is what many bands will do. That is why they'll never really get out of the pubs..
which is fine if that is what you want.

Even pub work is too much work for the money...but can be a good laugh.

Personally, I can't get people to play the circuit but they'll do one-offs if the pub
is one of the better ones and/or the event and budget is interesting..

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1439545606' post='2843697']
I wonder if there's a difference between the USA and here. Accepting that the Venn diagram would show we have more in common than differences of course. Not many British musicians would say they were only in it for the money. There's a tendency over here to value the music highly, which seems strange sometimes if it's a covers band but then playing stuff you don't enjoy for a tiny rate per hour isn't very motivating. I also wonder if we Brits are just natures amateur enthusiasts.
[/quote]

I've never been involved with or ever heard of a UK pub ("bar" in US speak) band who are in it primarily for the money. From what Blue is saying it seems that US bar bands have more in common with function bands over here.

In any event I think Blue makes a good point that its important to decide what you want out of it and seek like minded people.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1439553330' post='2843822']
...my main job is I print the set-lists.
[/quote]
[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1439556048' post='2843858']
I've taken on the set list role as well.
[/quote]

I do the set lists, too! No-one asked me to do it... in fact if I didn't, there just wouldn't be any bloody set lists. :rolleyes:

Blimey, that's the downside of forums; everything is dissected and analysed to within an inch of its life. At school we got some guys together, formed a band and got some gigs. The weaker players fell by the wayside and we just got better. And it's how it works for me fifty years later. I just go out and play gigs, don't for a minute stop to think why I do it.