Why become a member? ×

Spooky bass ghost stories...

jonnythenotes

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1438774008' post='2837071']
I inherited this old P Bass once. Strings were decades old with an unplayable action. I stripped it down to get the action to something approaching normal and noticed some dolt had carved FUNK into the neck heel. Restrung it with fresh round wounds but could never get a good rock tone out of it. Just a thump thump thump like the strings were dead again. Plus, whenever I started to play it my right hand would cramp up to the point I could only play with one finger- Weird huh? Final straw was when I started to dream about impossible bass lines and apparently woke up one night screaming out the name Bernadette. I’ve never met anyone called Bernadette.

Part ex’d it on a nice Ibanez SR and never looked back.
[/quote]

it would have been more spooky if you had indeed looked back, and found the old P bass following you...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1438793480' post='2837436']
There used to be a legend round here about the Headless Bassman.

On dark nights people would see him going round with a Steinberger then - poof! - he'd disappear into a pub.
[/quote]

Ha ha! I reckon I've seen him too.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1438812140' post='2837725']
I find it more than just a coincidence that the word 'Fender' and 'ghosts' both have six letters in them. Also the word 'Fender' contains the letter 'e' which also appears in the word 'evil'. This cannot be explained away by modern science....
[/quote]

Furthermore, Fender backwards is redneF! Coincidence??? I think not!!!

edited because obviously I can't spell backwards :( :P

Edited by mcnach

Not bass, but equipment related...

When I was about 25 I moved to Cambridge for a new job and rented a room in a terraced house owned by a woman about my age.

One night at 3 a.m. I was awoken by a terrible din from downstairs. Ran down, opened the door to the front room, switched on the light and the hi-fi was on absolute full blast with the cassette machine running. The lady of the house then stormed out of her room upstairs to demand why I'd woken her up.

There was nobody else in the house, and no animals. All the doors and windows were secure. I knew the tape machine hadn't been left on pause, as the pause button didn't work. We also never had the hi-fi turned up above about 3, because one of the speakers was blown. I just stood there trying to work it out, with the chills beginning to run up my spine.

She never believed it wasn't me...

Edited by KK Jale

When I was a kid we lived in a tiny, very old, stone cottage which came with my dads job. Apparently things were always being moved around in the night, my parents never told us as they thought we'd be scared. My mum told me recently, that one night she woke up freezing cold, thinking my dad had pulled the blankets off her, she put the bedside lamp on to find all the sheets and blankets had been taken off the bed and neatly folded up and placed on a blanket chest on the other side of the room.

Years later I read a book on the history of the village and apparently our house had been previously occupied by a mother and son. The son came home drunk one night, got into an argument with his mother and pushed her down the stairs, killing her...

My spooky music-related story:
A good few years ago now, the band I was in used to jam at a place belonging* to a friend of the guitarist. It was an old stable-house, with three sides round a courtyard. One side was the house the guy lived in, the back was half workshop,half dumping ground for dead workshop equipment. The other side was a massive room with bare stone walls and an enormous fireplace, a couple of tatty sofas, ragged carpet on the floor, a pool table, and some tatty instruments on the wall. The guy basically used it as a party room/man-cave, and he was happy to let us practice in it. It was a bit chilly and damp, even with the fire on, but hey, free rehearsal space!

Usually, we'd go over on a Saturday afternoon, set up our gear, jam for a while, go get some dinner, then in the evening go back to pack up the gear and hang around for a bit more acoustic jamming, which inevitably devolved into a drinking session with the guy and whoever turned up.

One particularly dreich night in the autumn, we were sitting round the fire drinking whisky and sharing ghost stories. Footsteps in old buildings, visitations from relatives at the time they passed, shadowy figures at the ends of beds, the usual stuff. There was a healthy mix of belief and respectful scepticism, and eventually, the guy who owned the place, who hadn't said much until now, spoke up to say "well, I've lived and worked in a number of supposedly spooky places, and I've never so much as seen any~"

At that point, there was a pop, and all the lights went off.

There were a variety of reactions - couple of screams from the girlfriends (and drummer), I froze in place with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up, and the guy saying "that's just sodding typical - don't worry, it's just the circuit breaker. Does it all the time." (It had never done it while we were doing band practice running two amps and a PA off it...). He clicked the breaker back on, and the drinking resumed, at a slightly subdued pace.

Later, when I was walking home with the guitarist, he told me he'd noticed that for the early part of the night, before the lights went off, I'd kept at the back corner of the room. "Probably just a natural reaction to the spooky stories, looking over my shoulder to check for anything creeping up behind me" I said. "Maybe, but so was I. And so was the drummer. Couldn't quite see whatever I thought I saw out the corner of my eye. And it was always that corner. Where the circuit breaker was..."

Never quite worked out what was going on there - I certainly didn't see anything, but if it wasn't supernatural, it was certainly Sod's Law that the lights would go out at that particular moment.

*Turned out when he said "owned", it was actually rented and his grand plans to turn it into a recording studio were total fantasy, but that's another story.

Edited by wingnutkj

I see things moving about in the corners of my vision all the time, usually spiders that aren't actually there. They always freak me out, even though I know they're not there and I'm not even scared of spiders.

The worst time was when I had gone to bed in the middle of the day (my sleep pattern was buggered again), so it was daylight and I could see perfectly well. I lay down and, looking towards my wife's side of the bed (she was at work), I could see a little man standing on her pillow. Think Chucky. He was about that height and build but his face was different, he looked both mean and sad. He was wearing blue jeans, black shoes, white t-shirt and a black leather jacket. And he had a small knife in each hand. He was looking right at me, I could see him breathing. I closed my eyes, but when I opened them he was still there. I tried looking away and back but he wouldn't go. In the end, and this was an incredibly difficult thing to do, even [i]knowing[/i] that he wasn't really there, I turned onto my other side and eventually went to sleep without looking over again.

My problem is that I suffer with stress induced hallucinations. Which is bloomin scary, but not supernatural.

What really is fascinating is the science behind what can cause supernatural seeming experiences. The things that happen internally, such as the brain filling in information to make up for the incredibly poor way that humans eyes actually work (or barely work). And the external things that can cause several people to experience the same thing, even though it isn't real.

As purveyors of the low note, it could be that we bear some responsibility for ghosts...

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound#Suggested_relationship_to_ghost_sightings"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound#Suggested_relationship_to_ghost_sightings[/url]

Imagine how low this could go:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291511146469"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291511146469[/url]

and as an added bonus, it's like something out of a horror story.

My other experience, (not bass related), I was on holiday with my brother, and staying in a Travelodge on fishermans wharf in San Fransisco.

I woke one night a could clearly see a figure crouching down at the foot of the one bed, hands and arms over the head. It disappeared after a few seconds.

The following night my brother woke me shouting, he had seen the figure of a woman, dressed in old fashioned clothing, standing at the foot of his bed.

The area was devastated by an earthquake and fire in 1906.

Was the figure that I saw protecting herself from smoke and fire ?

Not bass related but got up in the middle of the night for a widdle when i lived with my parents, pushed the bathroom door open ( it opened in to the bathroom) and it got pushed back onto me so hard i nearly went down the stairs, because of the force of it i thought its obviously my dad in there, after shouting and hollering for 5 minutes at him for nearly knocking me flying he came out of his bedroom door asking me who I'm shouting at, opened bathroom door and bathroom was empty... Ooh.. Shudder.
I don't believe in all that but?? It weren't the wind.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1438774830' post='2837083']
i've had so much spooky stuff happened to me that i could make a thread all on my own. non of it bass releated tho.
[/quote]Yep - me too!

Where to begin :blink:

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1438885058' post='2838442']
Yep - me too!

Where to begin :blink:
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267346-the-spooky-thread/"]Here[/url]! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267346-the-spooky-thread/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267346-the-spooky-thread/[/url]

Edited by wingnutkj

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1438883656' post='2838427']
Not bass related but got up in the middle of the night for a widdle when i lived with my parents, pushed the bathroom door open ( it opened in to the bathroom) and it got pushed back onto me so hard i nearly went down the stairs, because of the force of it i thought its obviously my dad in there, after shouting and hollering for 5 minutes at him for nearly knocking me flying he came out of his bedroom door asking me who I'm shouting at, opened bathroom door and bathroom was empty... Ooh.. Shudder.
I don't believe in all that but?? It weren't the wind.
[/quote]
I remember one time, back when we lived in the Midlands, starting from the front of the house and going through to the back, every window started to rattle and every door slammed shut. It scared the sh*t out of the dogs and the atmosphere felt really heavy and oppressive afterwards. It was just the air pressure outside changing, but I had never known it to go like that before.
In this house we used to have to keep the bathroom door open when the air pressure was messing about else it used to lift the attic door out of its frame. We now have a better fitting attic door with a lock on it.

the hall we practice in at the back of a social club (and have done for years) has had me on edge since i set foot in it, always seeing a dark shape moving out the corner of my eye, not always in the same place, sometimes near the stage sometimes at the end of the room where the bar is and not every time we are in there. But one particular time when the own ers were having the hall renovated sticks in all our minds. So like i say the hall was being redecorated and alot of the chairs had been stacked up at the bar end of the hall, there was general decorating stuff on the floor just in front of the stage and wires hanging down from the ceiling, so we couldnt practice in there but they said we could practice in the pool room just next to the hall. So we lug all our gear out of the hall and into the pool room and set up. did out 2 hour practice and then started packing away. When we went back into the hall we noticed 3 chairs in the middle of the dance floor that hadnt been there when we set up, questions ensued but none of us had been in and moved the chairs and one of us would have noticed someone moving them, we saw no one ( ok the hall was dark as it had no power at the time). We were told later by the old lady who does the bar occasionally that she hears all sorts of odd noises when shes packing up and is convinced the place is haunted.
We've also had weird noises randomly come out of the monitors (no its not the guitarist) which start and stop for no reason and only come out of one monitor at a time (we have 3) and the dark shapes. we still use the place as its cheap and we can store our stuff there. but yeah creeps the beezjeezus out of us at times.

love this sh*t