Why become a member? ×

Complex Song structures

Nicko

Was playing Jesus of Suburbia the other day. Not only is it awesome, its also like learning a mini set list just for one song. Prog rock aside are there any other songs with so many distinct sections?

While "complex" is probably overstating it, I have noticed that there's something of a tendency for songs to have a not-quite-repeating structure - so in the old days you'd learn intro, verse, chorus, clever bit, and outro, and mix and match the verse, chorus, and clever bit as required, but songs like "Riverboat Song" or "Last Nite" have a not-quite-repeating structure that means you have to learn the whole song in a linear fashion.

I've never played it, but I've always thought Autumn Almanac by the Kinks is really interesting, the way it has 3 different parts to it.
Another good 'un is Alfie by Burt Bacharach. It's like a whole musical in one song. I would so love to be able to sing that!

Jesus of Suburbia is a suite of songs (imo).

Other candidates might be Highway Star (Deep Purple), Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding (Elton John), Bat Out Of Hell (Meatloaf), and of course Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen).

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1437730256' post='2828526']
While "complex" is probably overstating it, I have noticed that there's something of a tendency for songs to have a not-quite-repeating structure - so in the old days you'd learn intro, verse, chorus, clever bit, and outro, and mix and match the verse, chorus, and clever bit as required, but songs like "Riverboat Song" or "Last Nite" have a not-quite-repeating structure that means you have to learn the whole song in a linear fashion.
[/quote]

I noticed that when trying to learn Screaming Jay Hawkins' [i]I Put A Spell On You[/i] - doesn't seem to bloody repeat!

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1437730256' post='2828526']
...I have noticed that there's something of a tendency for songs to have a not-quite-repeating structure - so in the old days you'd learn intro, verse, chorus, clever bit, and outro, and mix and match the verse, chorus, and clever bit as required, but songs like "Riverboat Song" or "Last Nite" have a not-quite-repeating structure that means you have to learn the whole song in a linear fashion.
[/quote]

In the 'old days' too, actually... in my opinion the not-quite-repeating structure is a sign of a good arrangement and good songwriting. So often are songs now just cut-and-paste verses and choruses - quite literally in fact, since the advent of the DAW. Even a verse or chorus that is ostensibly the same will have minute differences if played in real time from start to finish by real musicians, which is what makes music interesting.

Anyone else noticed the tendency of guitarists to try and reduce songs back to verse,chorus middle eight even when the interest in the song is in the structure? Drives me nuts, I've no problem with rearranging songs but dropping the so called tricky bits because you can't be bothered to learn them then justifying it by claiming to put your own spin on a song. Grrr

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1437814679' post='2829200']
Anyone else noticed the tendency of guitarists to try and reduce songs back to verse,chorus middle eight even when the interest in the song is in the structure? Drives me nuts, I've no problem with rearranging songs but dropping the so called tricky bits because you can't be bothered to learn them then justifying it by claiming to put your own spin on a song. Grrr
[/quote]

One of the many reasons I don't do covers bands any more.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1437814679' post='2829200']
[/quote]

I rarely play cover gig, but in my experience a case in point: Feeling Good

I know two versions of this track.. the guitarist version and the keyboard player version (the actual track).

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1437767676' post='2828983']
Other candidates might be Highway Star (Deep Purple), Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding (Elton John), Bat Out Of Hell (Meatloaf), and of course Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen).
[/quote]

That reminds me, Paradise by the Dashboard Light (Meatloaf) is another rock operetta.