Why become a member? ×

Does nobody on ebay post anything anymore?

Whenever I sell through BC. Gumtree or eBay I always mail the buyer and get the gear posted asap. Besides that's normal isn't it?

Over the last month I've bought 2 basses and a small combo. I've still yet to receive anything! The seller of the first bass told me after me raising a case that he was locked out of his account. 2 weeks later I'm still waiting.

Last week I bought another bass. A Squier VM Jazz. That still hasn't been posted, according to the eBay info anyway.

2-3 days ago I bought a combo. That's still not shipped.

On all of these I'm also getting no response to messages. Is this becoming normal practice these days?

There isn't really any excuse to do this. If you're posting something on eBay you should know when it's going to end and be ready to get it posted straight away. I've not sold much on eBay but always post it on the same or following day depending on when it ends.

I'd get in touch with eBay if I were you, as Thunderbird said they are usually pretty decent and getting issues like this sorted.

Yes, start complaining straight away. When I was an eBay trader (for my sins) it amused me how buyers expected to receive their goods immediately if not sooner, apparently thinking that eBay sellers have some method of posting that's faster than the Post Office. How?

You buy something from any other website (apart from Amazon) and it can take weeks to turn up, and apparently this is quite acceptable.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437587488' post='2827357']
You buy something from any other website (apart from Amazon) and it can take weeks to turn up, and apparently this is quite acceptable.
[/quote]
I haven't had to wait weeks for anything to turn up from an online purchase for about 10 years, even ordering from the states usually takes no more than a couple of weeks.

2 or 3 days is fine, but 2+ weeks is too much to not be dispatching something, not acceptable in my book. There is a setting on your eBay account to show if you will be unable to dispatch an item for a while, unless the seller has gone on holiday there is no reason to not post something for 2 weeks.

Edited by SingleMalt

[quote name='SingleMalt' timestamp='1437589118' post='2827383']
I haven't had to wait weeks for anything to turn up from an online purchase for about 10 years, even ordering from the states usually takes no more than a couple of weeks.
[/quote]

It can take weeks if an item's not in stock, for example. But I don't want to get into a tedious discussion about exact delivery times, my point was that eBay buyers expect their stuff to be delivered pretty damn quick compared with a non-eBay website where people are generally a little more tolerant about it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437590151' post='2827402']

It can take weeks if an item's not in stock, for example. But I don't want to get into a tedious discussion about exact delivery times, my point was that eBay buyers expect their stuff to be delivered pretty damn quick compared with a non-eBay website where people are generally a little more tolerant about it.
[/quote]

Accepted. But if Discreet1986 posts pics of his 1 year old Fender Rumble or Squier VM, I don't think it falls into that category.

Besides if you were selling something that goes out of stock, and I placed an order with you, and you were in that position, you'd mail me and we'd discuss it.

(Discreet is NOT the seller on any items I have bought on ebay. Mark is a good guy to buy from)

Unless the listing specifies an earliest dispatch date, I think it's reasonable to expect items to be sent within 48 hours. I once bought a DAW and had to wait 10 days while the seller found a box for it. I was not best pleased, but this was in the days of buyer feedback, so I didn't rock the boat.

I would expect to receive anything I'd bought on eBay (from inside the UK) within a week. I can't think of a reason it would take any longer to pack whatever and ship it.

When I sell stuff, it's packed and ready to leave before I list it. The last thing I want to do at the end of an auction is start farting about looking for boxes and packing peanuts etc. Just get it out the door ffs. It's not hard.

To the op, get onto eBay and start complaining, weeks is way too long. Hope you get it sorted bud.

I bought a bass with the intended stae for receipt of 2nd July. It was only when I raised a dispute on ebay on 3rd July that they then posted the item. Pretty poor really, as it was a retailer, not an individual seller. It then got caught up in the Channel Tunnel malarkey, so the retailer had to wait a fair bit for their money to be unfrozen by paypal. That`ll learn `em to post things on time.

I once bought a load of foam noise reducing tiles that never arrived. 300 quid. I messaged the seller and was told, oh, it was my boyfriend that listed them and we have broken up now. They shouldn't have been listed. I was like. Ok, give me my money back and we will call it quits. I had to wait a couple of months and send loads of mails before I got my money back. I was raging!

Ordered a new tweeter diaphragm for a SRM450 [1] a couple of days ago, using click and collect. Estimated to be ready for collection on 23rd July. So I was wondering whether it was ready for collection yet, and checked on the item, and found it's now been pushed back to 28th July! Not at all happy as we've got a gig on 31st and I have a dismantled SRM450 sitting in the lounge - and they are a pain in the bum to dismantle, so I really don't want to put it back together with a non-functioning tweeter, only to have to do all this again, if the new delivery date also slips.

[1] That should stop it getting pregnant

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1437640908' post='2827715']
I once bought a load of foam noise reducing tiles that never arrived. 300 quid. I messaged the seller and was told, oh, it was my boyfriend that listed them and we have broken up now. They shouldn't have been listed.
[/quote]

What a shame! Down with her boyfriend for making her confuse her failed relationship with a legitimate eBay transaction! I think under the circumstances you should have let the poor girl keep your £300! That's obviously what she was hoping for! Jesus Christ, what a pill... :angry:

I see this as a larger issue with the way people are seeing and use ebay , as a marketplace for businesses to have cheap / free web stores
rather than private sales and it results in two different types of seller on Ebay.

I have different levels of patience with them both, and i can see both sides of this story.

[b][i]hypothetical example - names invented for obvious reasons[/i][/b]

I'm browsing ebay for a nice jazz ( don't try n flog me a jazz I've got a very nice one thank you)

If I buy something on ebay from Mrjones1234 who is selling rather nice 90's fender jazz , its on bids with a respectable , Buy it now price ,
and a nice discription saying he's selling his old faithful jazz because for his 30th anniversary his wife , friends and loved ones club bed together to buy him a 65 Jazz .

I expect to give him all the time in the world to ship my item to me , the postage charges are realistic ( lets say £17 quid shipped in hard case) [b] this is a private sale[/b] ,
he is using ebay to market his product and he has lots of good feedback most of it as a buyer he cant run straight down to the post office and ship it to me he has a job commitments etc.

2nd case

The jazz is being sold buy DEALZMUZAK they have a BIN and a make me an offer the advert is quite obviously a store or professional ebay retailer someone.
This is someone who does this for a living or as a real money maker on the side.

The listing is obviously one of many they may have multiples available or you can tell from there other items , that they sell lots of stuff and its a money making venture.

This kind of seller is running a [b]business[/b] I expect to treat them identically to the way iI would treat buying from any other music store online,
The postage and packaging charge they are charging is usually also much higher / not that reasonavle as they are looking to have a cheaper item than all the rest and sideloading profit on the delivery costs.

Edited by synthaside

If I sell something on eBay I generally have the item already packed up by the end of auction. And will post within 2-3 days.
I expect the same really and any longer really annoys me. I can understand a week at most for a large item any longer is unacceptable.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1437644769' post='2827752']
I see this as a larger issue with the way people are seeing and use ebay , as a marketplace for businesses to have cheap / free web stores
rather than private sales and it results in two different types of seller on Ebay.

I have different levels of patience with them both, and i can see both sides of this story.

[b][i]hypothetical example - names invented for obvious reasons[/i][/b]

I'm browsing ebay for a nice jazz ( don't try n flog me a jazz I've got a very nice one thank you)

If I buy something on ebay from Mrjones1234 who is selling rather nice 90's fender jazz , its on bids with a respectable , Buy it now price ,
and a nice discription saying he's selling his old faithful jazz because for his 30th anniversary his wife , friends and loved ones club bed together to buy him a 65 Jazz .

I expect to give him all the time in the world to ship my item to me , the postage charges are realistic ( lets say £17 quid shipped in hard case) [b] this is a private sale[/b] ,
he is using ebay to market his product and he has lots of good feedback most of it as a buyer he cant run straight down to the post office and ship it to me he has a job commitments etc.

2nd case

The jazz is being sold buy DEALZMUZAK they have a BIN and a make me an offer the advert is quite obviously a store or professional ebay retailer someone.
This is someone who does this for a living or as a real money maker on the side.

The listing is obviously one of many they may have multiples available or you can tell from there other items , that they sell lots of stuff and its a money making venture.

This kind of seller is running a [b]business[/b] I expect to treat them identically to the way iI would treat buying from any other music store online,
The postage and packaging charge they are charging is usually also much higher / not that reasonavle as they are looking to have a cheaper item than all the rest and sideloading profit on the delivery costs.
[/quote]

Sometimes a business will charge less for shipping as they may choose to pass on the benefit of rates they have negotiated with a carrier, in order to make the product more attractive to the buyer. Gear4Music is a case in point for this, when they're selling off B stock.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1437643111' post='2827738']
Ordered a new tweeter diaphragm for a SRM450 [1] a couple of days ago, using click and collect. Estimated to be ready for collection on 23rd July. So I was wondering whether it was ready for collection yet, and checked on the item, and found it's now been pushed back to 28th July!
[/quote]

And I've just had a message that it's ready for click-and-collection. Well, that's a relief, but it would have been nice not to be given the wrong info.

Last November I bought my Matt Freeman P Bass from ebay. I lucked out and saw it within a couple of hours of the listing going live, at a ridiculously low Buy It Now price. I saw that the seller had a postage option and bought and paid for it there and then. I then received a message from the seller saying that it would be a day or two before he could arrange packing materials for it but he'd have it away by the weekend (I bought it on a Thursday evening as I recall). I was fine with this as I would normally allow a seller a couple of days to get something sent.

I sent a message to the seller on the Sunday as I'd not heard anything from him. I didn't receive a reply until the Tuesday when I was told that he was away for the weekend (didn't mention that when he said he'd be posting it at the weekend!) but would sort it on the Wednesday when he got back. I messaged him for an update on the Wednesday evening and didn't hear anything from him until the next day when he told me he didn't have anything to post it in and that he would be refunding the payment and that he'd only put a postage option on the listing "as a favour". I stuck to my guns and told him that if he was offering a postage option and charging for it then it wasn't a "favour" as he put it, and that I didn't want a refund and that I wanted the bass I'd paid him for. Later that day he told me that he'd managed to procure a box and that it had been sent via Parcelforce to arrive with me the next day. What he didn't say was that he'd dropped the bass off at the Post Office just before 5pm so he'd missed the collection and it was picked up on the Friday to be delivered the following Monday! (I only found this out when I was on the phone to Parcelforce after having taken the Friday off).

As luck would have it my neighbour upstairs had a bass cab delivered on the Saturday so they dropped my bass off at the same time. I don't understand why sellers list a postage option on items that you're paying hundreds of pounds for and expect you to be totally fine with waiting an age for them to actually send it off to you.

I bought another Matt Freeman a few months ago and it turned out the seller had listed it while he was away on tour! Luckily he had someone at home who could post it on his behalf but they ballsed up and posted it via 48 hour courier rather than 24, again resulting in another wasted day off work. He gave me the money back for the postage though and was very apologetic about the whole thing.

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1437583591' post='2827310']
Whenever I sell through BC. Gumtree or eBay I always mail the buyer and get the gear posted asap. Besides that's normal isn't it?

Over the last month I've bought 2 basses and a small combo. I've still yet to receive anything! The seller of the first bass told me after me raising a case that he was locked out of his account. 2 weeks later I'm still waiting.

Last week I bought another bass. A Squier VM Jazz. That still hasn't been posted, according to the eBay info anyway.

2-3 days ago I bought a combo. That's still not shipped.

On all of these I'm also getting no response to messages. Is this becoming normal practice these days?
[/quote]

What I would suggest rich , is to wait for about a week ( max) for each item. If there is no communication within that time , or goods don't arrive, then get refunds.
Hope it all works out

When I sell stuff, as soon as the sale and payment go through I mail the buyer to tell them when I will be posting/having it collected. I think that's only reasonable, and it's also what I expect when buying. I don't mind waiting a short time if the seller has told me from the start that's what will happen.