Why become a member? ×

The 80's

gadgie

80's was a great time for me.
I was particularly into a lot of singers from over the pond.
George Benson, Luther Vandross, Al Jarreau, Anita Baker, James Ingram, Chaka Khan...endless really.
Also a lot of Quincy Jones productions, all with the top end LA and New York studio players.
The American, so called super groups (rock) went well down with me.
Plus never ending TV theme music.
Chick Corea, David Sanborn, Dave Grusin, George Duke...etc.
Like I said, good for me and a lot of good challenging Bass lines to play.

http://youtu.be/ur8ftRFb2Ac

http://youtu.be/cjqOsYRQI0o

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1437115097' post='2823627']
That is an awesome set list. I could do without Sweet Child but other than that it's spot on.
[/quote]

Yeah Im with you on that, though Walking on Sunshine is tired also, we actually skipped it last gig.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1437149023' post='2824059']
I am guessing you have a female singer? There is a few I would do with a different singer than ours.
[/quote]

Yes, and a cracking voiced one.

As much as I hated the Pop music of the 80's (and still do!), there seemed to be a lot more variety in styles, and a lot of "underground" scenes which didn't get much mainstream press at the time, though Sounds, NME & Melody Maker tried to cover a large variety of stuff. Though to be fair until the advent of Stock, Aitken & Waterman, there seemed to be far less "manufactured" music around than there was in the 70's and 90's and beyond. Who else listened to John Peel on the radio and discovered a whole heap of different music good/bad or indifferent?

Everything seems to be "pigeonholed" these days into some sort of tightly confined sub-sub genre. If you like it, you like it.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Baxter' timestamp='1439147931' post='2840423']
Really pleased to see that people remember The Prisoners!! Tremendous act and extremely influential if you're playing in the garage/mod/60s vibe circuit. I recently got an LP from their latest incarnation Graham Day and the Forefathers
[/quote]
Graham Day was on Eddie Piller's Modcast a while back talking about the band.. Probably still available to download from iTunes?

Was speaking to someone a while ago, and telling them about a club I used to frequent, that was "home" to Goths, Punks, Indie Kids, Psycho-billes, Bikers, Rockers, Retro-heads & generally all the 80's sub-cultures that didn't find any of the other clubs that interesting. A huge wide variety of music was played, and a huge wide variety of people mingled in the same space. Great place & saw loads of cracking underground bands there before quite a few of them went on to "make it".

Some think it was earlier than that, and pushed and made popular by the above.

Quote:
"What were some of the first records in the early 80's to adopt the huge reverb on snare and vocals that became associated with that era. Or was it late 70's that this trend started?
What popularized it was when Phil Collins played drums on the Peter Gabriel track "Intruder" produced by Hugh Padgham. After that the flood gates were opened for the 80's...

From Wiki...

Perhaps the earliest known use of the gated snare drum technique was on the recording Mondo Bondage (first verse only) from the 1975 self-titled debut album of the San Francisco rock band The Tubes.[dubious – discuss] The drums were played by Prairie Prince. Recording produced by Al Kooper and engineered by Lee Rhett Keifer.

Recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder used it on many of the songs on the 1976 album Velvet Darkness by Jazz fusion guitarist Allan Holdsworth.[citation needed] The drummer on this recording was Narada Michael Walden.

Another early use of this technique was on the 1977 David Bowie album Low. Use of the gated reverb effect spread to popular music during the 1980s. Producer Mutt Lange was a pioneer at drenching the recorded drum sound in gated reverb. An early and prominent use of gated reverb was in Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Hugh Padgham's production of the third Peter Gabriel solo album"
http://youtu.be/RP04AiRv8N0

I'm a big fan of music from the 80's, and I feel that there are too many lazy generalisations made about it.

My favourite album, Gary Numan's Telekon, was released in 1980. Yes, it has lots of synths, but the main instruments are piano, bass and drums. Does it sound like a "typical 80s" album? (if there is such a thing)

It took less than a minute to come up with this list of bands who released some great stuff between 1980 and 1989 , and I could make it a lot longer.

The Specials
Big Country
Red Guitars
The Cult
The Beat
Madness
The Cure
The Bolshoi
Fun Boy Three
The Wonder Stuff
Jesus Jones
The Skids
The Bolshoi
The Planet Wilson
Japan
Level 42

Edited by TransistorBassMan

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' timestamp='1439382409' post='2842311']
Mike Peters isn't singing with Big Country these days. Simon Hough is on vocals now. And Derek Forbes is playing bass for them.
[/quote]

That is correct. Always thought Mike Peters was going to be a long standing member of Big Country. The Alarm were another classic band though and had some great songs well into the 90s. 68 Guns is still one of my favourite all time songs