Why become a member? ×

using a normal guitar jack lead instead of a proper speaker lead between amp and cab

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1436371909' post='2817630']
I'd just like to be pedantic and suggest that the term 'normal' is inappropriate here, sorry. A 'normal' cable for signals is screened, with thin conductors. A 'normal' cable for passive cabs is not screened, and has thicker conductors They should not be confused or inverted; in some cases damage could result. The reasons are explained above. Some folks are luckier (or more reasonable in their abuse...) than others. It's a good idea, in general, to identify speaker cables if there is any risk of confusion; jack/jack cables, especially. Martin Audio used XLR for their cabs, too, at one time; that could be another trap.
[/quote]

Absolutely. There is no such thing as "Normal" jack cable. They are many types

Unbalanced Mono - Tip/Sleeve (TS) jack with single centre conductor and co-axial outer screen

Balanced Mono - Tip/Ring/Sleeve(TRS) jack with twisted pair conductors and co-axial outer screen ((often confused with unbalanced stereo)

Unbalanced Stereo - Tip/Ring/Sleeve (TRS) jack with 2x unbalanced mono cables either in single overall sheath or figure of eight profile, each with separate screen

Unbalanced Insert - Tip/Ring/Sleeve (TRS) jack with 2x unbalanced mono cables, each with separate screen, terminating in separate TS jacks.

Speaker Lead - Tip/Sleeve (TS) jack with symmetrical unscreened twin conductor cable.

Also Trace Elliot and Vox used XLR connectors for speaker connections on some of their amps and cabs.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1436359678' post='2817460'] I assume its a signal/instrument cable as you are only carrying a signal not power.
[/quote]

All "signals" are current (i.e. a flow of charge). Current tends to cause a heating effect. The larger the current, the larger the heating effect... Increase the resistance and you increase the current (Ohm's Law). Thicker cables have lower resistance (assuming the same conducting materials are used)....

Not aimed at you specifically BD - but just a general comment... B)

So get some decent (usually thick) cables/leads to connect speakers to amps! They are not cheap, but remember that the chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and many of us spend thousands on our guitars, amps and cabs only to use cheap cables with them. False economy! :D

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1436434310' post='2818047']
Every time this question gets raised I am more convinced that natural selection should be allowed to answer it.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.darwinawards.com/"]http://www.darwinawards.com/[/url]

Can anyone help me with this one. I've just bought a Neutric in-line connector to connect two speaker leads together, ie to make a longer lead. One side of the two females will lock on to the incoming Speakon. Why is this necessary if the Speakons lock in anyway?

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1436537625' post='2818997']
Can anyone help me with this one. I've just bought a Neutric in-line connector to connect two speaker leads together, ie to make a longer lead. One side of the two females will lock on to the incoming Speakon. Why is this necessary if the Speakons lock in anyway?
[/quote]

Some folks will want to lock this onto one cable 'permanently', thus making an extension cable. The adapter won't, then, get 'lost'. It can still be removed at a later stage, but if it's an extension cable you want, rather than a temporary joining of two cables, it's rather a Good Idea. These things are easily misplaced, so fixing to a cable reduces the risk.