Why become a member? ×

metallicas orion with cliffs bass turned up

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1435088311' post='2805396']
I think I read in an interview with Hetfield somewhere that he they maybe would have down the load-reload route sooner if Cliff was still around
[/quote]

I've never listened to those albums. I've heard a couple of songs off each, but never the whole albums.

Maybe I should...

I bet you'd have been able to hear the bass on Justice is Cliff had still been around!

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1435088311' post='2805396']
I think I read in an interview with Hetfield somewhere that he they maybe would have down the load-reload route sooner if Cliff was still around
[/quote]

This is true, in an interview just days before the accident, he told a journalist they would have got more melodic and worked with a big name producer, so the black album would probably have gone ahead in a very similar fashion. It's also heavily rumoured that after the European tour that Lars would have been sacked. So the rumour goes, James and Cliff felt limited by Lars' drumming ability and we're looking elsewhere, most keenly on Dave Lombardo from Slayer (who also threatened to walk from slayer around the sa time). Now THAT is a lineup I'd like to see!!!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1435183882' post='2806405']
This is true, in an interview just days before the accident, he told a journalist they would have got more melodic and worked with a big name producer, so the black album would probably have gone ahead in a very similar fashion. It's also heavily rumoured that after the European tour that Lars would have been sacked. So the rumour goes, James and Cliff felt limited by Lars' drumming ability and we're looking elsewhere, most keenly on Dave Lombardo from Slayer (who also threatened to walk from slayer around the sa time). Now THAT is a lineup I'd like to see!!!
[/quote]

I think I read this in Dave Mustaine's autobiography - Hetfield and Hammet didn't fancy losing another 1/4 of the lineup, so they kept Lars after Cliff's death.

Since we're dealing in 'what ifs' I'd like to hear Hetfield, Mustaine, Burton and Lombardo with extra Scott Ian!!! Ah well, we can all dream. :gas:

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1435088592' post='2805401']
I've never listened to those albums. I've heard a couple of songs off each, but never the whole albums.

Maybe I should...

I bet you'd have been able to hear the bass on Justice is Cliff had still been around!
[/quote]

Load is a great album. I know it got loads of flack at the time but its one of my favourite albums. Jason is a great player.

Listening to this I'm reminded just how bad a drummer Lars actually is. Horrid, lumpy disjointed playing. And don't get me started on Quirk Crammit. His note choice is just abysmal - but I give him all the credit in the world for his rhythm playing. Dude goes stroke for stroke with James Hetfield (fnarr) on those riffs, and he does it live.

Load good album -reload crap! Should've been one album only . Kirk rabbit live solos awful but good guitarist otherwise.
With the oil rig ; sloppy . Just listen to justice . Sounds like one or two spuds have dropped on to his kit, or he knocked his lunchbox during recording .
All IMHO of course ;)

The bass on Load is pretty nice, but that should be expected with Jason.

There's a scene in Some Kind of Monster in the control room of the studio. On the 50" plasma screens you can see all the copied and pasted patterns for the drums.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1435226598' post='2806647']
The bass on Load is pretty nice, but that should be expected with Jason.
[/quote]

Bass in Metallica has never sounded better than Jason's Sadowskys and whatever else he used to record (Zon, Spector, Alembic etc.). The guy had great taste in gear and a great sound.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1435222540' post='2806582']
And don't get me started on Quirk Crammit. His note choice is just abysmal - but I give him all the credit in the world for his rhythm playing. Dude goes stroke for stroke with James Hetfield (fnarr) on those riffs, and he does it live.
[/quote]

On the early Metallica records, Kirk only played the solos. All rhythm guitar was played by Hetfield only. A common practice in metal recording though, easier to get a tighter sound that way.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1435231716' post='2806721']
Bass in Metallica has never sounded better than Jason's Sadowskys and whatever else he used to record (Zon, Spector, Alembic etc.). The guy had great taste in gear and a great sound.
[/quote]

I never though much of Jason's Sadowsky sound. I recall from interviews at the time that he was conciously trying to achieve a more Motown-inspired sound which didn't really work - subsequently his Sadowsky tone on record comes across as quite loose and undefined (ReLoad, I'm looking at you!). The majority of Metallica and Load was recorded with Spectors, with a bit of Wal here and there. I may be wrong but I don;t think he ever recorded with the Alembics in the studio.
IMO his best sound is with Cliff's Aria Elite on the Garage Days EP. Brutally punchy and growly, and LOUD!

I don't like the Garage Days sound much, too ratty for me. The Sadowsky live sound and the Load studio sound are excellent to my ears, huge sounding bass tones. Every time I saw Metallica with Jason a great bass sound was a constant, as great as Cliff was he didn't sound as good on record IMO.

Now if they could take Kirk's wah pedal away and teach him some scales you might have the making of a popular band ;)

Edited by lemmywinks

I never knew Cliff died in a plane accident, and that he was found whilst his bass or even the Orion plane itself was not.
I'm happy Metallica's Orion with Cliff's bass have turned up again, but I do feel stupid for having believed those stories about the bus accident in Sweden.

The plane was just rented probably? Just like Maiden's?

B) :D

Now I've reached the end of Load, for the first time ever, it's actually a lot better than when I heard bits from it when it was released.
The bass is still a little low in the mix at times, but as a whole the album is no longer consigned to the "no thanks" bin...