Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Vs

JohnnyLightyear

I'm interested (at some point) in picking up a 5 string jazz bass and was considering a Fender but I have heard some negative opinions about them, particularly with the B string. I know the Gallery don't rate them and so don't stock them, and from what I can tell they seem to ship fairly cheaply on the sale page. Of course this will provoke some debate, and I realise the best way to find out what they're like is to have a play myself, but I would be interested to hear what people think.

Otherwise there are Laklands, which I'm also not very familiar with either, and of course Sadowsky's which I have tried are the business. Also I would prefer an active bass, so can anyone recommend which Fender 5s have a decent pre amp in them?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

My USA fender Jazz 5 is pretty good though the B string isn't as good as some other 34" scale 5 string basses I've owned, like a Stingray 5 for example.

The stock pre-amp in mine was replaced with an EBS circuit so I can't comment on what the original sounded like but I don't think they've had much positive press in the 10 years and more that Fender has had a 5 string bass on the market!

Having owned a Lakland Skyline DJ5, I have to say that the Lakland is a much better 'jazz' bass than the Fender, which sounds crazy to say, but it's true. In the 5 string market, Fender has been seriously outperformed by so many other makers it's untrue.. A testament to their complacency I think.

But if you go the Lakland route, you've got to bear in mind that it's a 35" scale (which some prefer and some don't) and it is going to be more expensive to get hold of than a Fender. Plus, you'll need to install a pre-amp which will add additional cost..

A Bacchus might be a good option as they look really good value when they come up for sale here from time to time?

The Gallery used to stock them. Actually I posted a few years back about a mini Jazz 5 shootout that I had there by myself. If I recall correctly I quite liked the Fender Jazz 5 (which I was quite surprised at tbh). But it was a pretty distant 4th behind a Lakland Skyline JO5 (1st - I could get used to the 35" scale easily, but then I have pretty big hands), a Moon 5 (2nd, ex-Randy Hope Taylor, never seen another one in the UK like it) and a Sadowsky NYC 5 (3rd - only 'cos it was stupid money s/h - if it had been a Metro it may have bumped the JO). Worst Jazz 5 I played that day was a Fender Marcus Miller... just didn't feel as good as the others at all - that surprised me too as the MM4 is one of the best Fenders I've ever played!

A Lakland Skyline JO5 with an East J-retro or Audere would be the best bet... or just leave it passive and get an external Sadowsky preamp/di pedal (or a Sadowsky Metro - they're starting to pique my interest).

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='JohnnyLightyear' post='271660' date='Aug 28 2008, 11:55 AM']Thanks for the advice. So are Laklands generally passive then and if so do they have space for a preamp to be installed? Those Sadowsky external preamps do look good but generally speaking the less gear to cart about the better![/quote]
AFAIK, the Lakland Jazz basses are generally passive but it's not a problem because there's been lots for sale here on Basschat that have had a John East or Auderre pre-amp installed, so it can't be that difficult to do..

Hello,

just to add my pennies worth, I would say that the other comments on here about getting a Lakland jazz were pretty spot on. They can easily be retro fitted with an east preamp, and they are superb basses.

I tried a few fender 5 ers when i was looking for a new bass and found them very hit and miss. Some were great with no B problems at all and had cracking EQ, but some of the passive mexican 5ers were poor. I have a Fender Roscoe Beck which is superb, but getting hold of one is tricky and they are passive.

I would definately try and find a Lakland JO5. Superb basses, traditional looking with plenty of guts. It does depend on budget though, if you can stretch to around £900 you could probably pick up a Used sei 5.

good luck.

There's a deal pending on my one, so isn't a shamless plug, but I would definitley urge you to check out a Bacchus if you get a chance. In my opinion there is nothing as good for the money. I don't believe Fender are in the same league at all. I used to have a Lakland 55-02 and it was a great bass, but the Bacchus I've played have all been genuinely superb, a good step above the level of the Skylines. Factor in the poor performance of the dollar and you can get a truly [url="http://www.guitarjapan.com/bacchus/bacchus_bassguitars.html"]great bass[/url] for a fairly standard price.

Edited by Doctor J

The later model US Fender 5s were a big improvement on the early ones - not least because they changed the string retainer layout on the headstock and gave the B string (or the B and the E...can't remember) it's own retainer. The early ones were very hit and miss.

I was lucky enought to find a mint second-hand Sadowsky Metro 5 on the 'bay a few months ago. Can't recommend them enough.

[quote name='JohnnyLightyear' post='271385' date='Aug 27 2008, 10:33 PM']....I'm interested (at some point) in picking up a 5 string jazz bass and was considering a Fender but I have heard some negative opinions about them, particularly with the B string. I know the Gallery don't rate them....[/quote]
Fender get some good but mainly bad press for their 5's. You'd think that they would build a stonking 5er and cleanup but they don't seem to be bothered. Lakland and Sadowsky can produce great, reasonably priced basses from factories in the far east so Fender's attitude must be down to complacency. And a complacent company doesn’t deserve your money.

The Korean-made Jazz Bass 24s are awesome - spent some time playing one at GAK in Brighton the other day and was well impressed. Good B string, decent preamp, Basslines pickups, nice quilt maple top and a great neck... seriously recommended. :)

I've got a skyline DJ5 and it's stunning,
I've owned the following in my search for a good Jazz 5 type bass.

Sadowsky tokyo UV 70's 5
Sei J5
Fender deluxe J5
Roscoe Beck 5
Lakland DJ5
Lakland 55-02
Stingray 5 HH

Aswell as numerous other 5's - the DJ5 is my favourite by far and it does it without a preamp, it really doesn't need one - I bought mine used but they're well worth full whack new, the build quality is flawless.

R

Edited by mr_russ

• 1 year later...

[quote name='leschirons' post='586076' date='Aug 31 2009, 10:12 PM']Get a Roscoe Beck V. Passive, but the best 5 string Fender ever made.[/quote]
+42 :)

The RB5's are smashing - if I'm not mistaken there's even one for sale here at the forum right now. Sure they're passive, but with the seriel/parallell/single coil switches for the two pickups they are way more versatile than most basses out there. And you can always install a pre or add a pre pedal.

cheers // Matt

PS. To me the single coil mode in the RB5 really nails the classic Fender Jazz sound (with a B string that blends in flawlessly), so IME there's not the usual humbucker-run-single-coil trade off either.

Here's a Bassplayer review of the RB5: [url="http://www.roscoebeck.com/profile.htm"]http://www.roscoebeck.com/profile.htm[/url]