Why become a member? ×

Since Tuesay, I have not bothered ...

My listening comes almost exclusively from this forum, either through the Composition Challenge, someone recommending a band or artist, or videos and such posted by members. In my time I listened to programmes from John Peel, for instance, but I've never been able to listen to 'light music' on the radio, ever. I'd rather have silence, or birdsong, than FM.
I have been known to get to sleep with France Musique in the background under the pillow; that's classical music for the most part, though.

I listen to my iPod through my car stereo on my 4-days-per-week 1-hour-each-way commute. I had a loan car recently while my own car got repaired, and after a few days Planet Rock was driving me nuts!

Also serious listening through proper stereo at home (but only if Mrs Axe is out, otherwise the TV is on). If I've been doing a lot of playing (giving music out) I find I sometimes need to refresh myself by taking some more music on board.

Crikey ! Quite a few replies already. It dawned on me on Tuesday , on way back to hospital . On fast train, no bawling brats . Don't bother with headphones.
In hospital, I never bothered . On the way home, semi fast train no baling brats . Today at home , I can't be bothered. I was thinking that , it must be a good thing to switch off for awhile and live headphone free for a few days . Surely there are some benefits ,

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1434738546' post='2802441']
I was thinking that , it must be a good thing to switch off for awhile and live headphone free for a few days . Surely there are some benefits ,
[/quote]

Absolutely! Using earphones or headphones causes a rise in temperature in the ear canal, and the nasty bugs in there start to multiply.

[quote name='Colonel36' timestamp='1434819975' post='2803089']
Radio 1 today Ray and I know this is nobody's stuff but if this isn't number 1.....I'll eat me truss rod.

Love it ............me ;)

Thank you colonel .gave that video about 5 seconds. Not metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJDD1Cldgc
[/quote]

After searching for a Swedish drama to watch tonight ,I had to cave in and listen to something instead .
Saw 1864 on bbciplayer - superb!! Looked for another one which is shown on a crappy itv station ( which is only available on sky) .
As I have not got sky , I cannot watch it . It's about time Murdoch had a serious heart attack ..a @@ hole!

Anyway, now listening to Timewind by Klaus schulze ;)
Not headphones , but Cambridge audio soundstage .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

For someone who does (or at least used to do) music for a living (either my own or somebody else's), I've always valued periods of silence whenever I get the chance (although birdsong is a very pleasant second best). It's actually very hard to find a properly quiet environment these days, but where we currently live is pretty good (a secluded little cul-de-sac on the edge of town with open countryside a couple of minutes' walk away and the nearest main road heavily screened by trees).

I do understand the mindset that has to be immersed in musical activity all the time, but I've always found it best to get right away from it occasionally. I also used to take a few days off from my instruments once in a while (and encouraged my students to do likewise). You lose a little edge off your playing (easy enough to get back), but you come back to it with a fresh approach and a clearer mind.

Not for everybody, but it suited me.

I hardly ever listen to music, I certainly never choose to have it on. I carry an ipod but I only use it when I'm stuck on public transoprt with some muppet bellowing to his mates about the football and I need something to block them out.

I listen to tracks I'm working on my parts for for the bands I'm in, but i havent really listened to anyone elses music since I was a teenager.

Back to normal now. Headphones on this morning listening to jarre waiting for Cousteau trac 4 . Amazing how many of you listen to planet Rock . I haven't listened to that for at least2years. I think it needs some sort of rejuvenation . The doors/ led zep etc. have stopped years ago. Maybe someone should tell them .
A bit of anthrax / king diamond / Celtic frost etc. played during the day would appeal much more . Radio stations are bottlers really