Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly Difficult Basslines

ChunkyMunky

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1434033781' post='2796147']
Talking of 80s sequenced basslines, Tainted Love. In theory the verse riff is simple – G/G/Bb/Bb/Eb/Eb/Bb/C – but it’s very easy to make the pushed C at the end sound clumsy or inconsistent. I’ve actually taken to keeping the playing digit ‘ghosting’ the swing rhythm instead of just going for the individual notes.
[/quote]

I even bought an Akai Miniak to do the do the sequences but still haven't learned to program the bloody thing properly :(

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1434002629' post='2795741']
Repetition seems to be a common theme on here!
[/quote]
[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1434002667' post='2795742']
Repetition seems to be a common theme on here!
[/quote]

I like what you did there!

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1434316253' post='2798645']
+1 for Riders On The Storm. The notes aren't at all hard, but if it's not absolutely precise and controlled, it's a waste of time and the rest of the band will murder you!
[/quote]

Wouldn't worry toomuch, I'm sure I 've seen an interview with Jerry Scheff where he says he struggled with it at first when it was presented to him. It's a fairly 'natural' pattern for someone to play with left hand on a keyboard (which I assume was how Manzarek would have created it) but doesn't translate easily to a 4 string fretboard.

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1433767682' post='2793740']
On the contrast to Nicko's thread similarly titled thread, I'd like to offer my inversion of it.

I'm throwing my bet on 'Billie Jean' for the sheer repetition of it all.
[/quote]
For those of us who are used to playing reggae, repetitive and uncomplicated baselines are par for the course.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1434490895' post='2800220']
Anyone tried Lonnie Liston Smith's Expansions? Never dared give it a try - sounds terrifying.
[/quote]

It's one riff. It's fairly easy and a nice one to play around with. Give it a go!

I saw that interview too, but I could never work out why he thought the pattern was tricky or awkward! For me it's all about the feel, keeping it locked in and even, but still swinging is really tough

Its not really technically difficult but from my old function band days, Pappa Don't Preach was a bstard especially if the bride liked it and wanted it round again. The sheer long reach left hand repetition at the end of an evening could be truly painful.