Why become a member? ×

Actually Cool acrylic bass.

JJW

You must think this is cool, rather than the other one i posted:

[url="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=&icep_item=301647368635&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg"]http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=&icep_item=301647368635&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg[/url]

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1433092061' post='2787751']
I guess it would be easy to change - a sheet of vinyl on the layer would change it instantly. I quite like the look of these!
[/quote]

Now that's a really good reason to have one :)

I'm not convinced. Why come up with a fairly innovative design concept in terms of material and construction then make it shaped like a p-bass? A smaller body shape would definitely help with the weight issue that will always plague acrylic instruments.

These are built/designed by WJS/Wunjo Guitars here in Glasgow, Billy did some work on my Ibanez that was badly damaged, and he did it for a very fair fee, with a very quick turn around, his work shop is round the corner, so I've seen this bass in the flesh.

Not sure for me, but Billy is a good guy!

My immediate thought was 'that looks bloody uncomfortable to play'! I do like it though, although I guess 's a bit 'form over function', but you could say that about a lot of basses. I would curve the top layer down over the others where your hand rests, I imagine those layers would dig into your hand and be a right pain after a while. How are you supposed to fit a strap to those shackle things? I also wouldn't trust the way the shackles attach to the body, I could see the acrylic stuff cracking after a while. It's still really cool though, a big improvement over other clear basses.

Edited by Deep Thought

The makers of this bass posted it on a local FB muso group I use, mostly just to get reactions & feedback. This was my "assessment":

[i]Aesthetically I love it - I'm a sucker for a see-through bass, but from a player's perspective I have a few misgivings about the practicality of the design & the pickup & switching choices. A bass is usually a pretty heavy instrument, and lots of hard edges & protruding fasteners might make this pretty uncomfortable to play over a long gig - the 4 sharp ridges where a forearm chamfer would be on a solid body look particularly eye-watering! Not at all convinced by the Strat-type pickup layout & switching - on the whole a pickup selector is pretty much useless on a bass, the facility to blend pickups (either individual volumes or a pan pot) is far more flexible. I'd be inclined to go for a 2 pickup arrangement with pan pot. And some LEDs. Lots of LEDs.[/i]

Well, it's just a giant Strat really, innit? ;)

Jon.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1433279427' post='2789794']
What about having three layers, successively darker, with one being a Jazz shape, one a Precision shape, and one a Rick shape (for the sake of argument, proper basses are also available)?
[/quote]

Clever :)

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1433149615' post='2788178']
I'm not convinced. Why come up with a fairly innovative design concept in terms of material and construction then make it shaped like a p-bass? A smaller body shape would definitely help with the weight issue that will always plague acrylic instruments.
[/quote]

People don't like change. You only have to see that the P bass was the first shape and it is still one of (if not THE) most popular bass shapes. Innovative designs like the Steinberger Spirit and Westone Rail bass were great concepts but ultimately didn't sell many as they were niche.

If I was setting up a new guitar company with a new concept of building the bodies - I would either:

1) take a tried and tested shape - probably P or Jazz - and then make it using unorthadox materials and construction method or
2) take a new and distinctive shape and build it from more traditional materials.

If you do both at the same time you risk alienating a huge number of potential clients as you are reducing the points of reference that make bass guitar designs popular.

I think the concept of the OP is pretty cool but I wouldn't have one myself.

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten