Why become a member? ×

New band, first gig soon, worried!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1432894940' post='2785926']
Oh Jeez, the hot flushes are starting again :(
[/quote]

My advice is to start drinking heavily at least an hour before the gig. Stagger on stage, trip over your lead and swear fluently. Then make loud comments about the legitimacy of the singer's birth and laugh uproariously between numbers. Leer openly at any attractive women and insult their boyfriends. Then at the end of the gig hurl your bass into the children's ball pit and urinate on the drums. I guarantee the gig will be spoken of for years to come and you will become a local celebrity. You're welcome. :crazy:

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1432890889' post='2785868']
He needs to write keys, opening chords etc. on his lyric sheets.

Getting his phone out at the gig is defo a no no,
[/quote]

I'm in a couple of bands, one of which has a 'regular repertoire' of 38 songs. So I write the keys on the set list. I don't ever need them, it's just a comfort blanket. Why not suggest that?

If the gig's not until the end of June at least you still have time for some damage limitation IF you can impress upon the singer that he really needs to get his act together. Maybe show him this thread... ;)

Not necessarily more rehearsals (though that would be good) - maybe get him round with his guitar and go through the material, concentrating on his weakest songs, then the weakest bits of other songs, transitions, key-changes etc. It can be done if he's willing.

Edited by discreet

So this
[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432895067' post='2785933']
Good bands are not put together in rehearsal rooms, they are put together by musicians putting in unseen hours at home, to learn and iron out problems before hand.
[/quote]
I'm fortunate to be in a couple of bands where, when we rehearse - not practise, everyone pretty much knows what they are doing, because they've done their homework and playing the song together is where we iron out the wrinkles and decide on harmonies.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1432898062' post='2785985']
So this. I'm fortunate to be in a couple of bands where, when we rehearse - not practise, everyone pretty much knows what they are doing, because they've done their homework and playing the song together is where we iron out the wrinkles and decide on harmonies.
[/quote]

+1. Rehearsals are for rehearsing, not for learning material. I don't last long in a band that doesn't realise this.

Failing all other methods to get the band on track I'd start looking for a new guitarist / singer if he's not got his attitude sorted once the first gig is complete.

If you get along well with the drummer then the rhythm section is sorted and you have a musical direction.

There will always be other people who want to play in bands, if a musician isn't willing to put in the effort and prove themselves, another will.

[quote name='Bradwell' timestamp='1432898322' post='2785992']
If you get along well with the drummer then the rhythm section is sorted and you have a musical direction.
[/quote]

+1 Guitarist/Singers are ten a penny - good drummers are not!

You need to agree with all the band members that your next rehearsal is a "dress rehearsal" and the aim is to run through your entire set end-to-end as if you were performing at your gig. With only 8 songs you should then have time afterwards for an autopsy. Do this earlier rather than later, expect a complete car crash, and hope that it puts the wind up your git/voc to get him to pull his finger out. Do it all again at the following rehearsal. Hopefully it'll evetually allow you to walk out of the gig with head held high, and will certainly let you know if you want to continue working with him.

Sorry guys.... I'm gonna offer the following.....if you've got a month. Sack this guy off and beg borrow or steal a guy you know can do it. Even if you have to pay him to save face. I gig every week playing in covers bands made up regularly of different players. We all know each other and trust each other. We know that if it goes slightly sideways during a song there's usually a cheeky smile and carry on.
Have just spent the last 3 years in an originals band where the singer wrote the lyrics to my music. In the few gigs we did he needed a lyric sheet (after3years in the practise room) and still f***ed up his entries. He wanted to do some covers work to pay bills but after getting a gig I had to grab a few mates to cover it co she hadn't learnt the material. I wasn't gonna lose face with the agent, venue or anyone who knew me. I won't get on stage with this guy again.
There are loads of guys out there that are bedroom players that think they have the stones to get on stage but in reality they will never be more than a bedroom player.
Cut your loses. You'll either explode when it all gets too much or you'll stop caring and slip down to his level of workmanship. You don't need either.

I went to see / hear a friend of mine sing recently at a charity gig they have performed at for the last three years. They are generally a good quality semi -pro band. For some reason that night the lead guitar had been drinking too much beforehand, and it showed.

The band started one song in three different keys (keyboards were out too), the singer stopped them and restarted. The restart was good then the lead guitar whent off piste again. The singer stopped them and they gave up that song (one which they did know and had played before). They later played a request of Stairway to Heaven, sometime during the main guitar solo, the lead sustained a note for far too long and continued to whilst he climbed onto the drummer's platform, sipped some wine, came back down and moved on. The facial expressions of the other band members were quite something

The relevance here for me is that sadly I remember those parts of the gig and not the great stuff they did either side. To be fair there were a few people dancing at end so perhaps they got away with it; do you want to take that chance?

Edited by Bobthedog

Just sacked myself from a band after 4 'rehearsals' in reaction to a lazy, incompetent guitarist. It doesn't really matter because I was doing it as a favour to a mate. Being the last member to arrive, I asked for a set list and keys in advance of the first meet. These [i]still[/i] hadn't materialised by the time I left. Though the guitarist did on one occasion hand me the lyric sheets to a couple of songs as if he was giving me the keys to the kingdom.

Having - by means of enhanced interrogation techniques - managed to get [i]some[/i] idea of the names of the songs the guitarist wanted to play I assiduously learnt the various progressions. Quite clearly the guitarist had not. On most songs, every pass he played different chords.

When I tried to encourage him towards a consistent approach this total bozo would sit there with a passive-aggressive, sh*t-eating grin on his face. Then he'd continue with his Woolworth's pick'n'mix approach to delivering a song. And he'd frequently end a song by hitting a 12th fret harmonic G chord - irrespective of the original key - with this look on his face that just screamed 'I'm a clever boy, I can play harmonics'.

In the end I called my mate and told him I was out, toodles, sayonara, etc. See, I'd forgotten the two golden rules:

* 95% of local amateur bands include at least one member who's a complete and utter cock

* Life's too short and precious to do time for GBH.

Edited by skankdelvar

Some very interesting and useful posts, keep 'em coming! I can't really sack the guy, and do the gig, as he's the one organising the bands for the thing in the first place!

I guess, I'll see how it goes on Sunday, I've text them both suggesting we do "gig mode" rehearsals from now on.... Might get boring just playing 8 songs for 3 hours but at least we should get them right by the end of it...

If not, it's probably time for plan B!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1432915917' post='2786202']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd forgotten the two golden rules:[/font][/color]
* 95% of local amateur bands include at least one member who's a complete and utter cock
* Life's too short and precious to do time for GBH.
[/quote]

Sad but true, sad but true...

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1432917756' post='2786225']
Might get boring just playing 8 songs for 3 hours but at least we should get them right by the end of it...
[/quote]

You should be playing the eight songs for a lot longer than three hours! And be playing them back to front, upside down, inside and out, pillar to post, standing on one leg and facing east, up a tree and underwater! Whenever I see a live band I ask myself the question, 'have these people done the work?', and it's always very, very obvious what the answer is. You want to avoid a train wreck! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432917966' post='2786227']
Sad but true, sad but true...
[/quote]

Oddly, the only 100% bone fide cock I ever came across in an amateur band (in fact, in any band I've played in) was the band that ended up getting a modicum of success (praised on Radio 6, album reviews in the NME, 'Prog' magazine etc.)

Mind you, I'd actually put him in the 'prick' category, rather than a cock so maybe that doesn't count. I'd left before the 'success' tho, because of his abundant prickitude. Actually, all the band had left by then, and he'd recruited some other hapless drones to back him up.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1432918924' post='2786239']
Oddly, the only 100% bone fide cock I ever came across in an amateur band (in fact, in any band I've played in) was the band that ended up getting a modicum of success.
[/quote]

That doesn't surprise me in the least. Look at some of the bands who have had a modicum of success and check out the cock level. It's very high. Obviously people who are prepared to lie, cheat and claw their way to the top through untrammeled cockery are [i]ipso facto[/i] undeserving of that position. David Cameron, for example. Boris Johnson.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432919229' post='2786243']
That doesn't surprise me in the least. Look at some of the bands who have had a modicum of success and check out the cock level. It's very high. Obviously the only people who are prepared to lie, cheat and claw their way to the top through untrammeled cockery are those who are [i]ipso facto[/i] undeserving of that position. Look at David Cameron.
[/quote]

Some of the bands, but not all tho - I've known some band of thoroughly decent chaps and chapesses who've done relatively well without penile tendencies.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1432919748' post='2786248']
I've known some bands of thoroughly decent chaps and chapesses who've done relatively well without penile tendencies.
[/quote]

Yes - and they speak very highly of you too, by all accounts... :D

Edited by discreet