Why become a member? ×

New band, first gig soon, worried!

Well, maybe I've been worrying over nothing, seems that while I've been away sunning my pale, weedy body in Greece and the drummers been enjoying his bank holiday weekend etc, our guitarist has been putting in the hours! A massive improvement and a whole new attitude (hope he's not read this) Anyway, it went surprisingly well, I probably made more mistakes than the others....

Another plus, my Harley Benton 50's P sounded awesome through my new Markbass CMD121P!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1433109604' post='2787991']
Well, maybe I've been worrying over nothing...
[/quote]

What, no crash and burn video?? How disappointing!
Seriously though, nice one... I bet you're more relieved than, er... someone who is quite relieved. Or something. :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1433075587' post='2787536']
That didn't come across as intended, I like gigs when it all goes well, ie, we play well, it's well attended, people love and adore us etc. I got jaded a while back, in a band where I seemed to be the only one putting any effort in.... Getting gigs, doing websites, running the P.A, loading it into the van alone, arriving 2 hours early, unloading it on my own, unloading it at home alone at 1am etc.... [/quote]

That's not the way we operate. Everyone arrives at our gigs 1.5hrs before our start time. We all. set up out own gear and help load and unload, sound, light and drums. We leave any bad vibes behind and were there to perform and have fun.

For those looking at joining bands, before you accept go to one of their gigs and observe them, not only on stage but when they're loading in and out. See how they get on with each other.

Blue

Blue, it sounds like you have some great band-mates!

Mine used turn up early enough to play, it was just that I had to turn up 2 hours before them! Large PA, bass rig and lights all took me 2 hours to unload/set up... It's hard not to be a little bitter when they were happy to let me do that at every gig and then take an even share of any payment. Maybe I should have charged them for my time and hire of my PA?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but as it happens, I needn't have worried after all.... The gig went well, a couple of mistakes (amazingly it was the drummer who made the only glaring cock up) And reaction was good. My new lightweight Markbass rig sounded awesome and I can't wait to do it again! I feel that I now actually WANT to do gigs! Not just feel that I should do them...

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1434961593' post='2804091']
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but as it happens, I needn't have worried after all.... The gig went well, a couple of mistakes (amazingly it was the drummer who made the only glaring cock up) And reaction was good. My new lightweight Markbass rig sounded awesome and I can't wait to do it again! I feel that I now actually WANT to do gigs! Not just feel that I should do them...
[/quote]

Well done... it's addictive, isn't it? So matey got his act together after all. Great. :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1434961593' post='2804091']
(amazingly it was the drummer who made the only glaring cock up)...
[/quote]

Tis the curse of being a drummer...

No-one notices the odd bum note on bass but when the drummer cocks up everyone notices... in fact uaually everyone else stops turns round and stares at them.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1434963536' post='2804113']
...when the drummer cocks up everyone notices... in fact usually everyone else stops turns round and stares at them.
[/quote]

I don't - I keep doggedly playing while scowling at everyone until they join in. Then deal with the shouting and recriminations later. Thankfully it hasn't happened for quite a long time... I insist on everyone being very well-rehearsed. *Slave-driver whip noise* Whoosh-CRACK!! :D

It was quite tempting to stop and glare at the drummer, as it was literally the first bar of the first song, so I guess a we could have probably called it a false start and laughed it off. There were little mistakes here and there, but I guess there always will be, the best way to get good as a band, is to do more gigs I guess...

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1434979565' post='2804341']
...the best way to get good as a band is to do more gigs...
[/quote]

Carve this in stone and make everyone carry it around wherever they go! :biggrin:
Or more practically, have it printed on a t-shirt.