Why become a member? ×

Old Trafford Cricket Ground...not a music venue...

Muzz

Sounds like you were in the wrong place:

[b] [size=5]Foo Fighters in Manchester: Council bosses say weather was to blame after gig was heard ten miles away[/size][/b]

[url="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/foo-fighters-manchester-council-bosses-9347120"]http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/foo-fighters-manchester-council-bosses-9347120[/url]

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1432829884' post='2785419']
I live in Manchester and am never going to another MEN gig at all, I much prefer to spend my time in smaller venues supporting smaller artists and venues that actually care about the experience, like The Ruby Lounge, The Deaf Institute, The Albert Hall etc.
[/quote]

+1000

[size=4][font=Calibri,Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Bl**dy awful place! Awful sound, Awful ambiance & they treat you like cattle!!!

However to OP I saw Radiohead at Old Trafford a few years ago and it was the best outdoor gig sound I have ever heard? Someone says Old Trafford has been redevelop though so if this was not a one off another venue I won’t be going to!!!

Brendan[/font][/size]

Edited by Sonic_Groove

Yep, I've been to the Cricket Ground before and not had an issue with the sound...this time, though, after the redevelopment, was awful.

I know a few people (those at the front, mostly) who enjoyed it and had a good sound, but it just highlights the problem: it was a good gig for a few thousand at the front, i.e. a much smaller venue-sized space, but the whole ground? Definitely not. And Dave and the boys got everyone's money...

Oh, and it was definitely loud - I refer you to my original comment: [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The venue managed the impressive trick of making the sound barkingly, harshly loud and also muddily indistinct at the same time...clever stuff... [/font][/color]

Oh, and LCCC's consultants? I may drop them a line... ;)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1432940575' post='2786544']
"Old Trafford Cricket Ground". Why would anything in the title of that venue suggest to me it would be a good venue for music...?
[/quote]

I accept this logic, but then pretty much all of the massive "sonically questionable venues that rip you off for ticket prices, parking and drinks and snacks" fall into the same category.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1433063635' post='2787373']
I accept this logic, but then pretty much all of the massive "sonically questionable venues that rip you off for ticket prices, parking and drinks and snacks" fall into the same category.
[/quote]

But did Buddy Holly play at them then?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1433147740' post='2788152']
I went to Kingsholm Rugby Ground at Gloucester to watch Madness on Saturday. That was good. Perhaps rugby grounds are better suited than round cricket stadiums
[/quote]

Yes, but was Buddy Holly on The Bill somewhere?

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1433177864' post='2788613']
Buddy played at many cricket grounds. It's a little known fact that the band name came out of this and was nothing to do with insects on a recording.
[/quote]
[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1433177864' post='2788613']
Buddy played at many cricket grounds. It's a little known fact that the band name came out of this and was nothing to do with insects on a recording.
[/quote]

Of course he played down the fact he gave his name to Manchester Band "The Hollies" too...

I was also there. I spent 4 years doing stage lighting for major concerts and productions like this, so along with being a musician, think I am somewhat qualified to comment on such things...
In terms of the front of house sound, it was pretty bad to start with (not the worst I've ever heard) but it did improve as the night went on. The job was made incredibly difficult by the conditions, but both the placement and setup of the delay stacks wasn't great, I agree with the out of phase comments from the OP, plus I had I delay stack smack in the middle of my line of sight to the centre of the stage.
From a lighting and AV point of view, I thought it was below what you would expect from a band the size of the foo's but wasn't appalling.
The performance itself was really great, loads of energy from Dave, although it left him breathless at times, but Nate isn't the most animated of bass players....
The industry is changing so much now, that the big bands can't make "enough" (I use that term loosely) money by playing arena's anymore which is where they would blown the roof of somewhere like the MEN, so they have to go to open air stadium tours instead. it appears that they don't have the experience to pull them off with much conviction though.
Personally, I bloody loved it, but I'm a dirty rock n roll fan so can deal with a performance that is a little rough and ready if it's delivered with a bunch of energy. if they looked they couldn't be assed, I wouldn't have tolerated it, but after 20 years playing these songs together, they seem to genuinely still love it and it makes it all the more enjoyable to watch!

Wouldn't disagree with that, but what I would say is that it's ironic that the price to the hapless fan/punter goes up as the experience gets worse.

"I know, we'll put three times as many people in an unsuitable venue, it'll probably sound arse, but if we charge them more money...erm, yeah, that's it, really." Ker-ching. :angry:

Oh, and Dave lost me early doors with the "Hey, are you all going to work tomorrow after partying with us? We wanna play all night...Yeaaahhhh..." Best go on early and finish about half ten, then, Dave, so we can all get to bed... :rolleyes:

He did though!! I thought he was just having a bit of banter, I do think he would have played all night if they would have let him! Finished on time with a great version of "best of you" I got goose bumps when he stopped and the whole crowd were singing the "whoa,whoa" but!