Why become a member? ×

For those Of Us Who have To Audition, Do You Ask The Right Questions?

blue

A lot of you guys are connected, on the "in" and well networked. You don't have to audition. Which is awesome. However some of us are not and have to go through the traditional audition process.

For guys that have or maybe will auditions for a lets say a second tier functions band, how do you present yourself at the audition, whats your mind set for performance and presentation?[list]
[*]I'll play bass to the best of my ability and nothing more
[*]I will research the band and make sure I'm somewhere near a match for them (age)
[*]Make sure your vocal abilities are auditioned and considered
[*]Bring the whole package as in how you would sound and look on stage
[*]Position yourself to get an offer, then it's your decision
[/list]
For a functions band i will do as much research as possible, looking at video clips to get a sense of their stage presentation.
There is potential money on the line here, so just I would do for interviewing for a traditional office /professional job, I would where a contemporary dark business suit. For a functions audition I would dress the same way i would dress for the stage.

Share your thoughts

Blue

Edited by blue

I wouldn't know, auditioning for metal bands just means you'd better be able to blag your way through the set, and that your metallica t shirt is one from an album that came out before 1990... And doesn't stink so badly that they can smell you coming before they see you :lol:

I'm not keen on auditions but in effect I have one this week in that I've pieced together a unit and they all
work togerther and pass work between themselves so I am the outsider as such. It might be my band idea/project
and I might be driving it...as much as I can or will do such a thing, but they have to like what I bring otherwise
they wont want to do it...
At this stage, all I am looking for is band chemistry that will set the band apart and altho they basically recommended
each other, I have one or two reservations, so the first thing is that this works musically.
I expect them to be professional enough to be able to deal with all the other stuff.

Altho the make-up of the band was 'sold' to me .. and I expect to have to deviate from my original vision
or set-up plan, we will target the same work, so I've just taken out more of an RnB soul vibe than the original
harder edged party band. This will allow the band to target themed events.
Musically if it doesn't work, then it doesn't go any further than this week but the guys are highly recommended
around this area ... but that is no garauntee that we will collectively pass the 'audition'
The other problem is that they all work better gigs than this band can expect to be, so it has to be fun AND get good fees.
The band will not be the first or even 2nd priority for at least 2 or the guys...
I'm looking forward to it... but am also realisitic about the longevity or viability

Make sure you know where it is, you're on time, strings are settled in and you can set up quickly and efficiently. If you haven't learned all the audition songs properly have a few print outs of chords for the songs you don't know too well. Have a positive and friendly attitude. Don't audibly twiddle around on your strings while someone is talking, concentrating, or tuning up.

The only "audition" I really had involved playing at a pub (that was closed) for what I thought was an established local covers band... turned out it was a guitarist running X Factor style auditions. The keyboard player took forever to set up his four keyboards, kept talking about how he plays massive stages and festivals... then could barely play a note. He had hardly heard of any bands ever but had a big bag of cassettes at his girlfriend's house (this was only 7 years ago and cassette was already dead) so might have some new tunes on those..... :unsure: The guitarist proceeded like this for the next few weeks. I was the only bass player and the guitarist and singers liked me and my gorgeous Warwick bass, I was in. Weeks of random guitarists, including a guy who can't have been playing more than a few months, keyboard players and metal drummers (for an alleged funk band) came and went with the whole "pretend you're packing up, then when he's gone get your gear back out" until one night I packed up and just went tired of the charade but stupidly came back. The singers (yes, two) were good, nice girls and we got on well but the kindest thing was when she ended it (I've said that a few times before). Turns out the established funk covers band was a guitarist who knew of a girl who was a signer with a friend who was a singer... and all he wanted to play was Stereophonics covers. Main thing I learned - do your research, ask loads of questions, and if it doesn't feel right make your excuses and go.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1430169627' post='2758676']
Make sure you know where it is, you're on time, strings are settled in and you can set up quickly and efficiently. If you haven't learned all the audition songs properly have a few print outs of chords for the songs you don't know too well. Have a positive and friendly attitude. Don't audibly twiddle around on your strings while someone is talking, concentrating, or tuning up.

The only "audition" I really had involved playing at a pub (that was closed) for what I thought was an established local covers band... turned out it was a guitarist running X Factor style auditions. The keyboard player took forever to set up his four keyboards, kept talking about how he plays massive stages and festivals... then could barely play a note. He had hardly heard of any bands ever but had a big bag of cassettes at his girlfriend's house (this was only 7 years ago and cassette was already dead) so might have some new tunes on those..... :unsure: The guitarist proceeded like this for the next few weeks. I was the only bass player and the guitarist and singers liked me and my gorgeous Warwick bass, I was in. Weeks of random guitarists, including a guy who can't have been playing more than a few months, keyboard players and metal drummers (for an alleged funk band) came and went with the whole "pretend you're packing up, then when he's gone get your gear back out" until one night I packed up and just went tired of the charade but stupidly came back. The singers (yes, two) were good, nice girls and we got on well but the kindest thing was when she ended it (I've said that a few times before). Turns out the established funk covers band was a guitarist who knew of a girl who was a signer with a friend who was a singer... and all he wanted to play was Stereophonics covers. Main thing I learned - do your research, ask loads of questions, and if it doesn't feel right make your excuses and go.
[/quote]

To me, or I should say my definition of established means;[list]
[*]A band that has been together for several years with very little personal change
[*]A band that you have probably heard of or seen perform
[*]A band that has a historical book of business
[*]A band that is heavily booked through 2015 going into 2016
[/list]
Unfortunately in the States these types of opportunities are far and few in between and are rarely publicly advertised.

Word to the wise, always ask;

[i]"Tell me specifically what you mean by established?"[/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

I would do my research on the band and dress appropriately. They see you before they hear you and they'll already have an opinion before you play a note. Saying that I wouldn't audition for a band where I felt the presentation was outside of my comfort zone.

Depends what the brief is... I'm not interested in getting dressed up so would go smart casual as that is what
I'd expect most of the gigs are. If we were asked to do a black tie, then we might go with proper shirts
so as not to look too out of place but we expect the booker to have to have done their research on us
as much as we would on them.
We don't do function suits or outfits..

When I audition for bands I always learn the tracks I've been asked to look at and write my own basslines (allowing for future changes depending on what the drummer does).

Then I turn up to the audition inevitably with numerous other new people and sit around for four hours whilst everyone else shows each other the chords etc.

Clothing wise I usually go with the Batman costume...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1430203498' post='2758777']
I assumed Blue was talking more about an individual auditioning to join an existing band rather than a band dressing for a gig and what sort of impression that gave.
[/quote]

I'll go comfortably...we'd discuss dress code later and if I had a gig where I need a specific outfit, there would need to be a changing room with washing facilities.

At my age, I would appear for the audition in smart casual clothes.
Open neck shirt, pressed trousers, plain socks, polished shoes and a jacket.
Oh, and clean underwear, just like my Mum told me, in case I was involved in an accident whilst I was out and about. :huh:

and as JTUK says, if I get the gig then dress code is discussed.

Edited by Jazzneck

You've got to be yourself, both in personality and dress. Gigging is a show, and therefore a costume is an acceptable form of expression (whether that is a suit, shirt & tie, jeans and T or Boiler suit and silly mask.)

One of the key elements (to me) in a band scenario is not so much what someone plays like but how you get on with them and this is what the audition is for- Can they play, are they a person I can spend my social time with, and I suppose to a degree,do they fit the band dynamic? (Age primarily)

If I was auditioning someone for say a classic rock band I suppose you'd kind of expect them to turn up in a pair of faded jeans and a Free T-Shirt but I wouldn't discriminate if someone turned up in a salmon pink button down shirt and chinos. Maybe worth saying that when gigging, the band go for a jeans and black t shirt approach, and is that OK?

For an audition, gear-wise I would take the rig I would play at a gig - always do this anyway, but if I had seperate practice and gig rigs, the gig rig would be the one I`d take.

Clothes wise, I think I`d keep fairly neutral, jeans, t-shirt, trainers - pretty much off-duty musician clothes anyway. I know some bands rehearse in full gigging atire, but I`ve not seen many do it, so I wouldn`t want to turn up looking like Lozzy Rock and appearing too eager.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1430202579' post='2758766']
I would do my research on the band and dress appropriately. They see you before they hear you and they'll already have an opinion before you play a note. Saying that I wouldn't audition for a band where I felt the presentation was outside of my comfort zone.
[/quote]

Agreed 100%, they will even make assumptions about you on how you look;[list]
[*]It's an old guy, did he know how old we were
[*]It's a young guy, did he know how old we were
[*]He looks homeless
[*]This guy is sharp and out of our league
[/list]
Blue

You might be surprised but there are guys out there right now on the verge of being fired because their personality isn't the right fit for the band. The guy that's always complaining, says he can't make certain gigs and brings a bad vibe when ever he shows up.

With that in mind, I like to introduce myself say a proper hello to everyone and I might give a brief bio and tell them why I'm interested in the band. And I might even do those things after I have auditioned the songs. If you know and your confident you [i]"aced"[/i] the songs and they're in [i]"blown away"[/i] mode your suddenly very credible.

Be personal and polite don't talk too much and be careful with coming off as an introvert, that alone can set off all sorts of alarms and whistles. I remember we auditioned a drummer who was quite good, but the guy was so introverted he scared us off.

Blue

Edited by blue

Last time I auditioned for a functions band (2011), I took my rig and a couple of basses. Clothes-wise just a T-shirt, jeans and trainers - I'd gigged with the drummer and the vocalist before, so dress code wasn't an issue.

When it was up and running, dress code was just as important as the music on the gig...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1430221490' post='2759071']
I doubt any band rehearse in shirts and ties. You would forever be remembered as 'that guy who turned up to audition in a dinner suit'.
[/quote]

This would be an audition, not a rehearsal. If I researched the band and found they performed in tailored suits depending on the caliber of the band I would consider wearing an appropriate suit. To me it's the best way of saying ,[i] "this is the complete package, this is what you would be getting if you hire me."[/i] I can give you an example, if I were auditioning for sideman position with Peter Noone, I might wear and Edwardian style suit.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1430242019' post='2759434']
Last time I auditioned for a functions band (2011), I took my rig and a couple of basses. Clothes-wise just a T-shirt, jeans and trainers - I'd gigged with the drummer and the vocalist before, so dress code wasn't an issue.

When it was up and running, dress code was just as important as the music on the gig...
[/quote]

Yes, for some bands dress code is a big part of their offering.

Blue

I've done a few auditions for established but essentially weekend worrier functions bands. Everytime I've turned up and played the pre agreed songs as close to a recording as pos, been on time , in everyday causal gear etc and never had a problem.