Why become a member? ×

I've just got back from a rehearsal with my 'other' band and they want me to...

wateroftyne

...do a bass solo in the middle of one of their new songs.

:)

That's right. A solo. On the bass.

By me.

*stares at thumpy old Precision with ten-year-old strings standing in the corner*

Are they on crack?

What will they think of next?

Right - I need a way out of this, people. And fast.

You're a good player, just knock something pentatonic or blues-scaley out and fill it with twiddly triplets! As for the thuddy P sound with ancient strings, that's cool at the moment. Listen to all those Amy Winehouse tracks... The bass always sounds like that!

With all my zingy hifi sound I'll be consigned to the 80's soon, obviously where I belong!

3 options present themselves:
1. cover Joey whatsisname from ManOWar and do Sting of The Bumblebee or whatever it was, if you wear the leather codpiece as well I can guarantee no one will notice any fluffing (snigger).
2. Stick as many effects on as possible (or just fuzz the ar5e off it) that way no one will here any notes anyway.
3. Get a hyper-long-uber-delay and by the time anyone hears any notes the gig will be over and the place will be empty and you'll be at home tucked up in bed with a Shandy and a copy of Woody Guthrie's autobiography.

Job done.

Cheers folks!

The problem is, I just can't think like a solost. Never have.

So... I'm going to put a pair of underpants on my head, stick some pencils up my nose, say 'Wibble' and claim insanity.

Hopefully, that will get me out of it.

Failing that, I'm going to OD on Willie Weeks stuff.

Edited by wateroftyne

At least you're getting some warning!

Martin our old singer used to think nothing of randomly introducing the band during whatever song he fancied and you're left with about 20 seconds warning that you need to come up with something. Fine in a funky number or something with a bit of pacey groove to it but when it's Robbie William's 'Angels' or Bill Wither's 'Ain't no sunshine'... :)

I became expert at playing the first 4 bars of the theme tune to The Simpsons in every key and at every tempo :huh:

But in answer to your original plea - I'd humble explain that what the audience 'really' wants to hear is the plaintiff tones of the guitarists fantastic instrument or the dulcet tones of the singer's lilting voice (lay it on thick with lashings of buttery platitudes) and not the boink plonk dong of the bass :huh:

You'll do OK mate!

[quote name='Sibob' post='267694' date='Aug 22 2008, 10:45 AM']Just figure out some of the vocal melodies and have some fun with them!
Always a good way of starting!
Jaco used to advocate learning the main melodies of any song he was playing!

Si[/quote]
Word to your mother! I love figuring out the various melodies of songs and trying to incorporate bits from the vocals into a bassline and so on. It can work really well.

One trick is to break down the bassline to the barest notes and then build it back up. Throw in a few fills as you do so and you're home and dry.

Have you heard "The Jam" by Graham Central Station? Some great approaches to soloing in that. Also "Dance To The Music" by Sly and The Family Stone - hear Larry introduce his bassline with a vocal moment and then in comes the fuzz! Make the solo fit the instrument - you play a groove machine, play a groove-centric solo!

Alex

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='267930' date='Aug 22 2008, 03:47 PM']I've linked this to another thread but you might get some ideas here Michael :)

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vi1aYLAZ7ho"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vi1aYLAZ7ho[/url][/quote]

I'm in pain from laughing to hard :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='267930' date='Aug 22 2008, 03:47 PM']I've linked this to another thread but you might get some ideas here Michael :)

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vi1aYLAZ7ho"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vi1aYLAZ7ho[/url][/quote]

:huh:

He's my new hero, in so many ways.

:) That Brian Fox video is HILARIOUS! He looks more like Anthony Kiedis after a few pies.

Regarding your bass solo - I've listened to your bands a lot on Youtube and the like, WoT, and know that a bass solo seems like quite an epic prospect for someone coming from a folk-rock background (hope I haven't pigeonholed your style too much with that comment)

I've been presented with a similar challenge in the past and found that listening to some Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention live stuff helped me a lot. My suggestion would be to learn the chord progression as arpeggios, add in the passing tones between the chords in whatever key you're playing in, and add/subtract from there. Double stops are definitely your friend too!

Hope this helps, there's been some great advice in the thread so far, I'm just augmenting it (pun very much intended :huh:)

Danny

i've written my self a bass solo for one of the songs i've written, (well why should the lead guitarist have all the fun) and i simply used arpeggios and scales following the chords the guitar was playing to doesn't have to be none of this tapping crap, just keep it simple stupid... as my dad once said to me kiss is the best way forward...