Why become a member? ×

Enjoying Musicman bass again

badboy1984

Recently traded my Fender jazz for a Musicman Sub stingray (MIA version). I finally enjoy the MM bass again. I had 2 high end MM bass in the bass and they were Stingray 3 band 4H and Bongo 4 HS. Sold the ray because didn;t get on with the sound and sold the bongo due to money problem.

The MIA Sub sounded fantastic, altho is 2 band with no indent on the bass/treble control but it sounded completely different then the 3 band ray i had in the pass. The bass just sounded right to me.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1429567033' post='2752778']
Recently traded my Fender jazz for a Musicman Sub stingray (MIA version). I finally enjoy the MM bass again. I had 2 high end MM bass in the bass and they were Stingray 3 band 4H and Bongo 4 HS. Sold the ray because didn;t get on with the sound and sold the bongo due to money problem.

The MIA Sub sounded fantastic, altho is 2 band with no indent on the bass/treble control but it sounded completely different then the 3 band ray i had in the pass. The bass just sounded right to me.
[/quote]

They do sound great. I had two in the last few years and both sounded great. I particularly liked the real THUMP they had.....like a P bass but with a kick drum behind each note.

I'll own one again, one day.

I Love my StingRays's

Just recently fitted a "John East MMSR-4" to the one and that has transformed it into something else, very impressed with it. when I A/B'd the two together the Ray in question sounded very thin so thought it to be a worth while upgrade and its sure fixed the problem, its taking a bit of getting used to but cant fault it !

The one I keep totally stock though as they have a sound all of there own

Everybody should own a StingRay :)

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1429860471' post='2755562']
The mids on the stingray is so good that the notes is not muddy, even when the bass eq push up to mix on the preamp.
[/quote]

Glad you're enjoying - the Stingray has a lot of variation in sound in skilled hands (have a look at the new post I just made)

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1429817923' post='2755347']

Currently doing a week run of 'Oliver' with a Bernard Edwards tone!
[/quote]

That sounds great fun but also try the Paul Denman tone - it's good as well (see Sade live clip posted). I played for two years in a Cliff and the Shads tribute band using generally only a coral red 2 band Stingray - sounded great (much better than a Precision, which are generally too honky sounding against the Hank B guitar in a live setting - unless you can get tone off to sit in the mix - which implies full FOH and sound mixing capability - and even then it may be less than audible)

Edited by drTStingray

Enjoy your new Sub Ray. They are great! I have three Music Man basses: Big Al SSS, Bongo 5 HH and StingRay 5H. I really did get used to the 4-Band EQ of the Al and Bongo but am still impressed what the 3-Band EQ of the Ray can do (plus my fingers). Nevertheless can't stop looking at a 2-Band Ray. Perhaps a Classic 5 ... someday!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1429903407' post='2756294']

That sounds great fun but also try the Paul Denman tone - it's good as well (see Sade live clip posted). I played for two years in a Cliff and the Shads tribute band using generally only a coral red 2 band Stingray - sounded great (much better than a Precision, which are generally too honky sounding against the Hank B guitar in a live setting - unless you can get tone off to sit in the mix - which implies full FOH and sound mixing capability - and even then it may be less than audible)
[/quote]
Funny you should mention Denman. I was just looking at the Sade vid a minute ago and thinking that's a great tone. Haven't heard the song since before I played bass, so never realised it was a 'Ray. I can listen to the whole album again with a new perspective.

I,ve never traded up to a full blown ray cause they dont sound or feel any different apart from the finish on the neck but it,s wearing away now after 12 years of playing.
Bargain is the only word,enjoy your real musicman,they are the real deal.
At the time musicman made these to get people into musicman and they would so impressed that they would trade up later to a ray but it kinda backfired cause some of us savvy ones didn,t see the need to splash the cash for cosmetics.Papa said making SUB basses was like putting a hundred dollar bill in every box there you go.Seeminly the preamp is the original circuit ala classic and the original ones.
Enjoy and learn to use the tone knobs,sometimes turning them down is better than boosting everything and this took a few years to work that one out for me.