Why become a member? ×

Later tonight - not including bass.

spectoremg

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1430914864' post='2765848']
The FFS key's is the chap from Sparks. He has been looking like that for years.
[/quote]Ron Mael on keys, and his brother Russell Mael was the older of the two vocalists, apparently, FFS stands for Franz Ferdinand and Sparks.

I realised it was sparks when they came on. Watched it, not impressed, quite disappointed as I was a bit of a sparks fan. I thought the other singer looked familiar. As it ended I recognised Franz Ferdinand so felt quite pleased my self :lol:

Still wasn't keen. The lone below and Alabama shakes were better for me.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1430929383' post='2766087']
I realised it was sparks when they came on. Watched it, not impressed, quite disappointed as I was a bit of a sparks fan. I thought the other singer looked familiar. As it ended I recognised Franz Ferdinand so felt quite pleased my self :lol:

Still wasn't keen. The lone below and Alabama shakes were better for me.
[/quote]
Same here; didn't get the FFS thing at all - very odd match and not really sure what they're looking to do.

I like Alabama Shakes anyway, but the Lone Bellow track blew me away. Not heard of them up until Later.

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1430949107' post='2766323']
Same here; didn't get the FFS thing at all - very odd match and not really sure what they're looking to do.
[/quote]

My comment to the girlfriend was that it was 'Metallica and Lou Reed all over again', however I actually enjoyed the montage of both FF and Sparks they did at the end of the show - which is one song/s more than I ever liked from the former collaboration mentioned!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1431208388' post='2768887']
Russell looking more like Ron every day... can't be happy with that lol
[/quote]

Take away the hair from one and the mustache from the other and they have always looked very similar.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1431429053' post='2771163']

Sorry, my comment meant to say (subliminally) "You would enjoy the Bass Player with Sean Escoffery as it is PT from Jamiroqui and he is one funky Bassist"!
[/quote]

Playing his old favourite '66 Jazz into a Jule Monique Dove Cage preamp, Aguilar Tone Hammer TH500 power stage and a pair of Aguilar SL112's - not that I'm an anorak or anything . . . :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1434173603' post='2797306']
John Martyn, one of those artists I consistently ignore but am amazed every time I hear his stuff!
[/quote]
One World is a great album to start with - just when he was getting into his SG/Echoplex stuff and features a really lovely ambient track (Small Hours) with Steve Winwood guesting on keys to close the album.

I remember the first time I heard John Martyn was on an Alan Freeman Saturday afternoon Radio 1 show in 1977 - he played the track One World. I thought John Martyn was a black American blues singer, not a white Scottish folk singer. What a voice!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1431473125' post='2771815']
Playing his old favourite '66 Jazz into a Jule Monique Dove Cage preamp, Aguilar Tone Hammer TH500 power stage and a pair of Aguilar SL112's - not that I'm an anorak or anything . . . :)
[/quote]

or that you probably supplied much of said gear...

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1434230013' post='2797873']
One World is a great album to start with - just when he was getting into his SG/Echoplex stuff and features a really lovely ambient track (Small Hours) with Steve Winwood guesting on keys to close the album.

I remember the first time I heard John Martyn was on an Alan Freeman Saturday afternoon Radio 1 show in 1977 - he played the track One World. I thought John Martyn was a black American blues singer, not a white Scottish folk singer. What a voice!
[/quote]I'll give that a go.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1434235144' post='2797947']
I'll give that a go.
[/quote]
There are some pretty decent bass players on the album - Danny Thompson, Dave Pegg, Neil Murray and this fella [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-wwTE_SSM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-wwTE_SSM[/url]