Why become a member? ×

Pukey Gigging !

Raslee

Just wondering what stories people have when gigging a tad under the weather without time to sort a dep or cancel?

I am pretty sure I had Norovirus yesterday, started puking intensely from midday onwards, bed bound...you get the picture. Anyhow I had a wedding gig later yesterday eve which I made but let's just say my playing was not even Tesco's value b-lines, I thought I was going to die - even the guitard carried my gear. Fortunately I didn't puke during the set, but I must have looked like a crack addict or similar. I'm better today, albeit achey, knackered and still staying in bed.
It was a wedding, someone's special day and I couldn't get a dep at short notice - the show must go on!!!..I would not (in fact could not working for the NHS) give this level of commitment in my day job....financially it was good, but I'd have passed given the chance ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1428837464' post='2744997']
I threw up on the audience a few years ago. I'm not proud.
[/quote]

You need to tell us more :lol:

Raslee, well done for doing the gig. I got hit with the norovirus a few weeks back, certainly wouldn't have wanted to be out gigging. Well maybe with a wireless receiver, so that I could have played from a seated position in the toilet :o

Two years ago I did a Halloween function and had spent most of day feeling like utter crap but i didn't realise quite how bad until it was too late to get a dep. The gig was a 90 min drive away during which I had to stop twice to get out and try to barf in the gutter.

Like Raslee's post, I gave basic reduced service only in that gig even tho I had to sing half the set. I was white as a sheet and sweating but at least at a hallowe'en party one more zombie didn't look out of place.

Shocking evening tho.

Not me who was ill, but a punter. Did a gig years ago (I was 15-16 or thereabouts) and in the interval was chatted up by a very attractive older woman (25-ish), so we danced... unbeknownst to me she'd been at the sherry pretty heavily all night - long story short, she vomited all over me, head to foot. I spent the second set reeking of terrible sherry spew and trying to remember my basslines while shaking the bigger chunks out of my hair. Needless to say I didn't get a bunk-up out of it. Happy days! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1428837742' post='2745002']
You need to tell us more :lol:
[/quote]

Prestigious gig in a nice room. Like the OP I'd been dodgy all day, but no way was I letting the band down.

Felt terrible through the first set. Green palour, sweating furiously.

Made it to the end of the last song, bolted of the stage for the loo, made it as far as the edge of the stage, and... BLEEEARGH

I played an early evening gig last Sunday a week after a major operation. I was so out of it on various painkillers that I wasn't really aware that I was playing, just listening to the band. Our drummer said afterwards it was the best I've ever played! I do remember hearing some bass runs and fill and thinking 'I wish I could play like that'.

It's bad isn't it? Funnily enough, in my last originals band, we hit a certain point where people were starting to get interested and more and more were coming along to our gigs; this one night, we had a professional photographer turn up with all his gear and offer to do us some promo shots... This happened to be the night I was ill. It was quite late in the day before it came on, so there was no subs about and we couldn't really pull. I wasn't sick thankfully, but looking at the photos now, I'm grey and sweaty and look dreadful. I remember being delirious too, its all a bit of a blur. Now, if nothing else, the photos provide a laugh!!

Edited by M@23

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1428841692' post='2745053']
...I was so out of it on various painkillers that I wasn't really aware that I was playing, just listening to the band. Our drummer said afterwards it was the best I've ever played! I do remember hearing some bass runs and fill and thinking 'I wish I could play like that'.
[/quote]

Finally, you've cracked it! :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428842509' post='2745073']
Finally, you've cracked it! :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, but only I know the secret blend of painkillers, alcohol, and painful surgical equipment that can help you achieve bass nirvana ;0

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1428841529' post='2745048']
I fainted at a gig once! I had a kidney infection and felt terrible and I was midway through a complex oboe passage and just keeled over!
[/quote]

How do they treat 'Complex oboe passage'?

😣

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1428842947' post='2745083']
I had a full on migraine mid gig a while back, a truly horrid experience, with visual disturbance/blind spots and seriously painful headache. Standing next to the drums was truly torturous.
[/quote]

Had this loadsa times.....grr migraines :(

Well done Lee, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have been able to last a whole gig like that.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1428842947' post='2745083']
I had a full on migraine mid gig a while back, a truly horrid experience, with visual disturbance/blind spots and seriously painful headache. Standing next to the drums was truly torturous.
[/quote]

..or this. Last time I had a migraine that bad I thought someone had put my head in a vice. I had less pain when I had appendicitis.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428843109' post='2745089']
Maybe we should swap recipes? :D
[/quote]

Sure, first you'll need a toad caught at midnight under a full moon.... (I did wonder if my surgeon was completely up to speed on the latest developments in modern medicine)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428844159' post='2745114']
Aw, that's me out then. I have to be lying in my coffin before midnight. :(
[/quote]

Best not then. If you use a toad caught before midnight, you are certain to end up sprawled cross the drummer's kit. Again.